The Sewing Place

Threads..

Efemera

Threads..
« on: April 25, 2018, 16:19:10 PM »
Thought this might be of interest...I needed 3 threads for the coverstitch and 3 for the overlocker. I use large cones to sew with so needed a simple way to transfer the thread.
Take a Gutterman spool, pull out the bottom, glue it to a bobbin, make a paper sleeve, fit the sleeve over the Gutterman spool and whizz away!... hold the thread and slowly move it up and down so the thread is evenly distributed ...hey presto 6 extra spools in no time

BrendaP

Re: Threads..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Unfortunately the pins on my coverstitcher are too thick to take sewing machine bobbins, but then it doesn't like cheap thread, as per the large cones, in the needles either. 

I do have a little thread stand intended for holding a reel of lace thread whilst winding lace bobbins and that has a pin slim enough for a machine bobbin and I use that behind the coverstitcher if I've only got the one reel of good thread.  It's only for top stitching hems etc, so a machine bobbin holds more than enough.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
Why do you have the paper sleeve Effie?

I've done this before and never found the need but then my spoils may have been the straight sided ones.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 13:05:28 PM »
Unfortunately the pins on my coverstitcher are too thick to take sewing machine bobbins, but then it doesn't like cheap thread, as per the large cones, in the needles either. 

You don’t put the machine bobbin on your C/S or overlocker..the paper wound thread is your new bobbin for the C/S or overlocker

I do have a little thread stand intended for holding a reel of lace thread whilst winding lace bobbins and that has a pin slim enough for a machine bobbin and I use that behind the coverstitcher if I've only got the one reel of good thread.  It's only for top stitching hems etc, so a machine bobbin holds more than enough.

The paper roll is what the thread winds around...stick the machine bobbin onto the Gutterman bottom, this is now what you will use to wind your paper bobbins on your normal machine.
Make a paper roll and push onto your new windy gadget and wind your thread. Take off the now wound paper bobbin and use this on your coverstitch or overlocker... repeat for the number of threads you needs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 13:07:50 PM by Efemera »

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 14:48:20 PM »
Clever :[