The Sewing Place

Talking of scissors...

BrendaP

Re: Talking of scissors...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 19:47:51 PM »
You lot have caused me to have finger slippage; a pair of 4" Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors are on their way to me 0_0  though there's about three weeks before they arrive; I think they come from USA.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 19:52:04 PM »
I got the Ketzer Finny's in today and used them to test on a few quilt squares.  The cut feels similar to the Kai.  I have 8" KF and 10" Kais, and the length of the cut is close, with the KFs being smaller and easier to handle with a sharper point.

I won't know how they cut out a garment for a few days, or if they will allow for the same speed, and I'll report then.

These are similar to the 7000 series Kai I have; KF is only right handed (the Kais are lefty), but it is not a hindrance.  So far, other then feeling a little lighter then the Kais, they work as good as them.

elephun

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 00:46:37 AM »
So far so good!
I didn't see a way to order online from http://www.kretzerusa.com/ Did you get the impression that they will sell to anyone, or did you have to have a resale number when you called them to order?
They sure do have a lot of styles to choose from.

Kwaaked

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 13:08:25 PM »
When I contacted them they said Amazon or Ebay, and said that any problems with defects Ketzer would stand by the product and they would fix the issue (obviously not things like needing to be sharpened).

This was my issue with Kai: I bought off Amazon and when my scissors had a defect, they passed it off to the seller rather then address it. 

So Chic

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 14:41:06 PM »
I have a very old pair of 8" Singer scissors which I use for cutting paper and I don't mix them up with my Fiskars.  I also have a pair 8" Kai which are great so I bought another pair of the very small Kai scissors which are unusable.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

elephun

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 16:54:02 PM »
Thanks, Kwaaked! Looking forward to your next report.

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 23:12:40 PM »
a pair of 4" Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Scissors are on their way to me

Actually they only took about ten days to arrive.  They are very nice to use as embroidery scissors and the points are fine but they are still quite 'thick' as in the thickness of the blades rather than the width of them.  I don't get on very well with seam rippers and have always preferred scissors, so I have just ordered these.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 02:32:41 AM »
As you've discovered the small Karen Kay Buckley scissors aren't typical for their size at all @BrendaP . They are small but mighty, however. It's astonishing what they'll cut, very good for cutting notches and clipping seams on surprisingly thick fabrics - because of their serrations I suppose and I like the way you can feel the tiny vibrations of them cutting through the fibres. Their tips are cut straight which is quite useful for some tasks, I think it reduces the likelihood of accidentally cutting further than intended.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using them, just not for the purpose that you originally bought them.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 18:59:16 PM »
Ooooh, I rather like the look of the titanium coated ones so I'm off to see if I can find any  :S.
Now stop showing me stuff, you are a really bad influence  :ninja:.

Oooer, I thought they would cost mega bucks, I can't see any like yours but there are some by Grunwerg but at £5.95 free p&p for 9.5" dressmaking scissors am I wrong to be sceptical?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 19:07:26 PM by Surest1tch »

Marniesews

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 20:37:35 PM »
Ooooh, I rather like the look of the titanium coated ones so I'm off to see if I can find any…  I can't see any like yours but there are some by Grunwerg but at £5.95 free p&p for 9.5" dressmaking scissors am I wrong to be sceptical?

Mine were only a bit more and definitely surprisingly cheap for how good they've turned out to be.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 22:55:17 PM »
Mine were only a bit more and definitely surprisingly cheap for how good they've turned out to be.

Ok, ok, I give in I've ordered some  :fish:, maybe one day I'll get time to use them if I ever get this flipping decorating done that is  :fish:.