The Sewing Place

Can You Re-use Elastic?

Lolli

Can You Re-use Elastic?
« on: April 25, 2018, 19:13:17 PM »
I've made two mock up leotards that are going in the bin as I don't need them. I used knit elastic in the legs and top, is it feesable to unpick and reuse the elastic as to not waste it? I probably sound like a right skint flint but it seems a waste to throw it away.

WendyW

Re: Can You Re-use Elastic?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 19:34:12 PM »
It also depends on its previous insertion technique. If it was greatly stretched it will probably not return to its original length. This does not automatically make it useless, but you will need to consider its current level of stretchiness in deciding what to use it for.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 19:39:36 PM »
I've re-used elastic in waistbands if that's any help.

Lolli

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 19:45:04 PM »
It was put on with my sewing machine using a zigzag stitch. I only slightly stretched it in most areas but greatly stretched it in a couple of places as the pattern instructions indicated.
I hate wasting things!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 20:16:39 PM »
It's new and not been worn?  Definitely unpick it!

Edit:  But remember sod's law says it will never be the right length for anything else  :P

Lolli

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 20:28:58 PM »
Haha probably knowing my luck!!

But yeh, it's new and unworn so therefore I shall start unpicking!

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 22:09:02 PM »
Slight deviation here, why not keep your practice leotards for experimenting on when you do get an overlocker, then you can play with the different settings, roll hemming, practice sewing around curves both inward and outward curves just so you get the feel of how it should be - you have nothing to lose, and it is not wasting fabric.

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 21:49:23 PM »
That's a really good idea actually, I'll take the elastic out first though!  :D

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
I've been known to not only re-use elastic, but to join several pieces together if I haven't got the right length. 

Thrifty I call it.... ;)

Jessie

OK it's mean, but needs must.....
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

crooknees

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 13:04:04 PM »
2-3 years ago, I made a couple of skirts with elastic waists. They stretched just enough to get over my hips but were very big around the waist. Last week I took out the elastic and put a zip in the side seam. Then I cut about 6" off the elastic and sewed it back into the waist. A hook and eye to secure the top and the fit is perfect. Elastic is expensive these days. Especially the non-roll woven stuff. Like Jessie, I have saved the bits I cut off. >:)

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 19:00:47 PM »
Well I'm glad my thoughts of re-using it is a feesable idea after all! It's good quality knit elastic that doesn't roll when stretched so it should be good to use again.
I'm also trying to be thrifty @b15erk  ;)

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 22:57:42 PM »
I've been known to not only re-use elastic, but to join several pieces together if I haven't got the right length. 

Thrifty I call it.... ;)

Jessie

OK it's mean, but needs must.....

I do that too J.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
right

Another here although I don't overlap it, I butt it up together over a snippet of organza & zigzag the join & zigzag either side to keep it smooth. This is how I join elastic in general.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 22:49:27 PM »
right
Another here although I don't overlap it, I butt it up together over a snippet of organza & zigzag the join & zigzag either side to keep it smooth. This is how I join elastic in general.

Yes, me too - avoids lumps!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 23:55:19 PM »
right

What a great idea, I would never have thought of that  :D