The Sewing Place

My Sewing Lair

Lolli

Re: My Sewing Lair
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
I noticed that your daughter matched the colour scheme.   :[ :|  :ninja:
What do you do with your LPS? Where does it go?
I find that no matter what I do, whether I finish a project or not there's always an LPS. Like when you tidy and there's a letter, a receipt, a post it note with someone's (???) phone number, a key, some string.....
LPS=little pile of s***e.   :D

Erm.....I haven't got one!  0_0

wrenkins

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:25 AM »
 :o
We neeeeed a fainting emoji!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
My sewing room is very untidy. It was the garage. It never had a car parked in there but my ex kept his motorbike in there at one time.

We had a fridge, freezer, storage cupboards, lawnmower, bicycles, half used paint tins, work tools....and then it was decided to put windows in, get a bit of carpet on the floor and use the space better for us.

I still have the lawnmower, freezer and the tool box, but they're stored up the one end of the room and I'm down the other.
It's always been fairly cosy in there. We've always had the radiator fitted. Ex didn't want to have to work on his bike in the cold.

Everything can be left out...It needs to be. Sewing is my job and I sew almost every single day of the year. I know I'm so lucky not to have to pack everything away after I've finished sewing.

As it stands at the moment, this house will have to be sold in 2 years time when my daughter turns 18...(divorce).. I'm not sure what I'll do then, but I'm going to be so sorry to lose my work room.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
I used to sew in the garage too Sandra - I loved it.  When both girls left though there was more room in the house for me to spread out.  I'm not a tidy sewer though, and I'm sure OH longs for the days when the sewing was done in the garage!

If I had to tidy after myself, I'd never get anything done!  I sometimes sew for an hour before work, or have to leave something half finished and I find it easier to pick it up again that way.

I do have to deal with the burgeoning stash soon though, it's threatening to invade other areas of the house!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
Oh so tidy!  Unlike mine.

What do you do with your LPS? Where does it go?
I find that no matter what I do, whether I finish a project or not there's always an LPS. Like when you tidy and there's a letter, a receipt, a post it note with someone's (???) phone number, a key, some string.....
LPS=little pile of s***e.   :D

Wrenkins, I have a BPS.

wrenkins

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
@SkoutSews I was underdramatising...  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
Oh so tidy!  Unlike mine.

Wrenkins, I have a BPS.
Only one?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 14:34:48 PM »
OMG, how I wish I had such an organised sewing room, Lolli.
Mine is so untidy and bursting at the seams, that I've set up another machine on a fold away table in the lounge, to do a large wedding dress alteration. I'd never get it in the room and I haven't the time to clear up all the coloured cotton ends that would glue themselves to the net petticoats. Actually quite enjoying all the space and freedom from the mess. Back to normality tomorrow though, squeezing through the gap between bridesmaid and prom dresses hanging on both sides of the door. Rails are full to capacity, so this is the overflow.
I think I've outgrown my tiny sewing room  :(.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

sewmuchmore

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 18:46:33 PM »
What? no waste bin? No binliner full of all the scraps waiting to be recycled at the charity shop? No cushion for the cat/dogs to lounge on whilst you are sewing? No piles of fabric with pattern that you going to sew next? No ironing board?  Are you getting the picture? Yep, my sewing room.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewsuzie

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 13:48:43 PM »
Decided this morning, before I started any more work, I would muck out the sewing room. It's got so bad that I'm having to move things out each morning in order to get into the room, and the floor space is down to about 2 square metres and knee deep in cotton ends.
Well, I'm beginning to wish I'd never started. I've bagged up 3 charity bags full of fabric offcuts that I'd been saving for 'just in case', (why can't I part with even the smallest bits of fabric  ><), moved things about a bit and am still nowhere near to a useable sewing room! Definitely trying to fit a quart into a pint pot!
Time to go and face a bit more, it'll be worth it in the end, even though I should be getting on with some actual work. I'm sure I'll work more efficiently once it's done  :) :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 14:12:14 PM »
@Sewsuzie I mucked out one of my sheds a couple of weeks ago and was wishing I'd never started.  I'm so glad I did because in the last week or so I've done so many jobs in the nice, tidy shed that I wouldn't have been able to face doing if I'd had to shift stuff in the tip to make a space - the sense of achievement is double.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 16:38:31 PM »
Just finished! I can see the floor again, shabby carpet and all, but it's clean!!
Now need a few people to come and pick up their alterations and make room for the new ones.
On with the sewing  :vintage: :pin: :thread:

Lolli

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 18:02:26 PM »
Good on you @Sewsuzie! Do you feel better for doing it? I would feel so much calmer after a good clear out.....but then again, I've made it known what I'm like with my tidiness  :D

Sewsuzie

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 00:18:05 AM »
Yes @Lolli, I feel much better for the clear out, especially as this morning I had people come and collect their alterations. Got rid of 2 dresses,4 tops, 3 skirts, 3 adult bridesmaid dresses, 3 flower girl dresses, 2 boys trouser and waistcoat suits and 2 pairs of men's trousers. That freed up a bit of space! Still too much in the room, but it's much better than it was.  :) :)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 00:25:18 AM by Sewsuzie »

Gernella

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »
If you ever feel like a challenge you should come and tidy my sewing room/study.  Although it would probably give you a nervous breakdown.   :P

Sorry I need to be front of the queue for a clean up makeover, although looking at the template, this is maybe a bit too tidy for me.  The nearest I get to tidy up is a good clean up of the floor (carpet unfortunately), and put the covers on machines not in use.  The only things that I can honestly say are tidy are the thread boxes/trays. I've got four separated between overlocking, small Gutermann sew all and larger 120's and also the spool boxes, one for each machine. 

Fortunately nobody ever ventures upstairs as the main bathroom is downstairs, thank goodness, although the plumber once asked if I did it for a living (I'm still laughing).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included