The Sewing Place

Swimwear support?

Francesca

Swimwear support?
« on: April 26, 2018, 20:20:53 PM »
I've decided to try out making my own swimwear. It might be a useless endeavour who knows...

The fabric I've got is swim appropriate but it quite thin. Stretchy but with good recovery.

I wanted to make the Rad Patterns Lucky Bra with the longline flat waistband. The whole thing is double lined, but I still think I'll need some extra thickness. I'm not expecting the bra to do any wonders for me at all, but I think I might want to put swimcups in so I don't show off every... detail.

Is there anything else I can do? And if I do swimcups should I just stitch them around the edge to the lining? Swim interfacing?!

b15erk

Re: Swimwear support?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »
Fran that's a great idea!  Your pattern is lovely too!

I made my first swimsuit 2 years ago, and I felt great in it.  It covered the bits I wanted covering, and gave me support where I needed it.  DD said it was the nicest swimsuit she had seen me in.

It took a bit of trial and error, but that shouldn't bother you.  I made a version in very cheap lycra, and cut it about, adding and taking away as I went.  The finished SS also had a support layer across my tummy, and was fully lined.

Look forward to seeing your progress with this.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
I am quite excited about it! If it goes well there may be more... though I have found getting swim appropriate fabric hard... What did you use? I found this stuff on eBay and it cost me £6pm and I bought 2m but I was still hoping for more choice (their prints weren't that nice)

I've got some similar weight fabric from Fabworks which is "silky" that I made a dress with that turned out horrid (didn't know what the texture would be like when I got it, and it didn't suit the dress) so I might hack that up for toile fabric.

I've ordered swim cups from Jaycotts but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I could use. I guess I could sew-in some sort of sports mesh?

The fabric I have is a black gingham, though I'm a little disappointed in the colours as the blended squares of black/white seem a little brown to me.

I had initially considered adding a peplum type flounce to the base to cover tummy (I don't like to show much) but I've seen the longline version on a few people now and it seems for some shorter women it comes all the way down to their lower waist. I wear high bikini knickers anyway so I'll probably be covered still, though the flounce might be a nice design feature.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
For the toile I used anything stretch.  Just to get a feel for what I was making.  Unlike most of my stuff, by its nature a SS needs to be fitted with plenty of negative ease, so I needed to get used to that. 

I was surprised at how much I needed to take in.  I used power net, and a lovely nude stretch lining fabric.  I didn't use pre formed cups as I don't like them, and also, the bra top I was making was pleated and made a nice shape anyway.

DD had one of the bikini tops with a peplum (?) under, and it was lovely - very flattering, you could cut that bit on the crossgrain.  It's a bit like the style I'm doing for the Mermaid....  ;) (Sorry, I do go on)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

lakaribane

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 14:47:29 PM »
Here's a Curvy Sewing Collective article on cups and boning.

Might as well check out the other posts on the topic of swimwear too!

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 01:02:44 AM »
You need to have the band under the bust close fitting so your cups don't slip up as you move your arms fairly expansively while swimming. The way I make my bra cup inserts for bigger busted dancers might help depending on the shape of yours and you could extend it to create a tummy panel with another layer of mesh lying in the opposite grain direction for added compression.

I'm struggling to insert images from Flickr again.  :[ Really unsure why! Will have to go back to the tech posts. Attachment used in the meantime.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:05:24 AM by Marniesews »
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 01:09:12 AM »
Oh yes, forgot to say that converting the straps to adjustable ones might help a bit too with the changes of size from water retention etc. Some of the tester photos looked to have the straps too long to me.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 19:42:22 PM »
If you plan to swim in the costume then whatever fabric you use needs to be proper swimwear  fabric.  It is chlorine resistant.  The same goes for the lining.  I had some lining years ago but soon realised that it wasn't suitable when it started to perish after a couple of swims.  :o
This place has a good selection.
https://funkifabrics.com/
Fabricland also does swimwear Lycra.
If you can splash out 0_0 Beverly Johnson has a good class on  Craftsy about sewing supportive swimwear.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 20:24:18 PM »
Here's a Curvy Sewing Collective article on cups and boning.

When I did a stretch sewing class a few years back, that was the method the instructor showed us for swimwear cups - cut a cross in the lining centred on the bust point, push the cups through, stitch around the edge, and trim the excess lining fabric from the front of the cups.

That's a lovely pattern, but if you felt you needed more support in the water, you could always add a decorative band crossed between the boobs and around your underbust line like the old "Cross you Heart" bras. 

Depending on the colour, don't forget white/light lycra goes transparent in water!!
Trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be  CarolC.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
I might just have to carry on with this "swim" fabric I've got then, but Funkifabrics is simply too expensive. £20 per metre - just not doable. I'm not spending £60+ on a swimming costume especially when that's only the outer fabric not the lining and bits too!

I will carry on with the £6 fabric I've got even though I'm not entirely convinced it's genuine swim fabric!

Celia

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
I have used the swimwear fabric from Fabricland in the past and that hold up well, it was a few years ago though. Good luck.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 13:56:06 PM »
@Francesca  that seems a lot of fabric!  Swimsuits are quite economical because you don't generally need too much.  Fabricland would be cheaper but the choice is more limited. 

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 14:11:55 PM »
I'm a big person!  :D But I'm using 2m for the tankini top I'm making because it's double lined. I guess when you line it with swimwear fabric it's cheaper, but even 1.5m is still £30!

Fajita

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 16:49:19 PM »
@Francesca I have a 1metre piece of swimsuit fabric by Liberty in my stash. You are very welcome to it, FOC.

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 16:57:44 PM »
@Francesca I have a 1metre piece of swimsuit fabric by Liberty in my stash. You are very welcome to it, FOC.

I'll send you a message. I love the print, very 60s!