The Sewing Place

Finished it, thank god!

supergran

Finished it, thank god!
« on: April 27, 2018, 20:22:21 PM »
I was glad to see the back of this one. Have you ever had a quilt that went wrong at every turn? This one was that quilt. I even had thread that melted as I was pressing blocks. I decided the thermostat on the iron must be faulty so binned it and I'm now using my "good" iron. Phew, on to the next project and fingers crossed I won't have so many problems with it.  :gin:

Sheilago

Re: Finished it, thank god!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 20:39:53 PM »
It looks wonderful on the bed, though. All the effort was worthwhile!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 20:41:48 PM »
That is gorgeous, I hope you come to look at it more kindly but I know what you mean when something has caused you grief.  I love the hidden stars in the pattern and the colours are beautiful.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 20:47:18 PM »
Beautiful, Supergran.  I hope that you grow more fond of it.  If not, post to Pearl, Pearl Towers, Coventry, England.

fajita

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 21:28:50 PM »
You've done a lovely job, @supergran

Before you know it you'll have forgotten the trials and tribulations and will just appreciate the end result.

supergran

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 22:07:54 PM »
Thanks girls, I appreciate your kind comments. I do like the end result, it was just hard getting there. The worst part was the quilting, as my machine is quite small and I decided to do a kind of QAYG in 3 sections. That was ok, but then joining the pieces together and matching was a complete PITA! I'd love a machine with a big harp space, but they are pretty expensive.  :'(

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 00:26:06 AM »
It's a beautiful quilt @supergran - and looks lovely on the bed. It was definitely well worth finishing. I've had quilts like that in the past - you just know they're jinxed when everything goes wrong but you have to finish them anyway. You become determined not to be beaten, but still heave an enormous sigh of relief at the end. :S

By the way, I see you use the same photographic display services that I do.  :) Your official quiltholderupper is not looking too pleased with his job. Did you have to bribe him to do it? :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 06:20:39 AM »
TeeHee @Kenora. I've too have used them on occasion. Stand, There and Holdthat. I find them very efficient if sometimes a bit disobliging!
That's beautiful @supergran. It's a very similar pattern to the one I have earmarked for my next project but now I'm having reservations. Was the pattern difficult or was it just one of those things that goes wrong at every turn?
I'm sure you are glad that you persevered. It was worth it.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
I love the effect of curves that is given by using straight lines and mixing angles.Looking at the thumbprint pictures I first thought it was orange peel appliqué or cathedral windows.

I think I have another pattern to add to my to do list now.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »
That's beautiful....I love the colours.  <3

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
That's a really lovely quilt :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 15:08:54 PM »
It may have been an eventful journey, but the result is wonderful!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

supergran

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 18:17:29 PM »
Thank you so much girls.  <3
No, Wrenkins it wasn't really difficult to piece, it was just one of those that messed me about as often as it could. It was a free pattern from Shabby fabrics.com, although I'm sure there are other tutorials all over the Internet. It's best to have a tri recs tool or something similar though.
Yes, my display stand has a gammy shoulder so I was trying to take the pic as fast as possible before he dropped it. He can never hold them up high enough because of the shoulder. I could do with a newer model, I think.  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
Wonderful SG and give Supergrandpa a slap on the back for good service ... OUCH! .. Maybe not!

I will be doing a QAYGalongathon in a couple of months or so (When I have finished my FOQ entry) which will help peeps with the various methods of joining strips, blocks, quarters and halves.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 19:49:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to that one Iminei. I'm fine with joining bits with joining strips, but some designs don't lend themselves to having strips in them, and they are the ones I have trouble with.  :\