Gumtree... wish me luck!

Surest1tch

Re: Gumtree... wish me luck!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 16:01:51 PM »
Oh dear, I've really got my fingers crossed for you  :(

Marniesews

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 16:21:31 PM »
It’s definitely an abject lesson in pay face to face or by PayPal...

I'm still hoping it all works out, Roger, but don't feel too bad about it, you're not the only one here who's had those lessons to learn, even in trusted forums. :o

I never received a book in the days of TSF, I joined Paypal specifically to make the payment and foolishly sent the money as just a simple transaction, not one for goods and services. The book didn't arrive and was told it had been returned to sender by the post office as undelivered (despite no card being left here). She promised to resend but then had flu so I said, wait until resend in a few days when you feel better, then she stopped returning my emails and stopped posting on the forum. Several other members bought and received their books before me so I've never mentioned it until now - in case she turned out to have been seriously ill but it taught me a lesson, nevertheless.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 18:45:08 PM »
I’ve reported it to Gumtree and the police and they are investigating... Gumtree must think there’s reasonable doubt because they’ve obviously emailed all the people connected to the advert!

Thank you Jackie! I’m sorry you had a similar experience!

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 19:19:07 PM »
I was once very ill for over a month, I had enough with just getting out of bed occationally and getting well. Having a shower was hard work, and I had a hard time just walking down the grocery store. I had problems connecting to the www and I just didin't have energy or concentration to sort it out until later. When I eventually logged into my ebay account I had a red mark and a case against me. It was a purchase I hadn't payed for and forgot. Back then the ebay form was a bit different, regular purchases not payed for within three days were alarming, not just auctions and winning bids. I remember there was something technical preventing me from paying it right away, invoice request etc., I can't remember all the details anymore, but I already had contacted seller about it a couple of times. It was sorted out within a couple of days, the red mark was removed, but it was a bit unpleasant having a blocked account the while it took. A lot of mails and replies had to be sent to ebay support and the seller. I don't think I have managed to move on from that knock, not the ebay thing, but the illness. I'm well again, back on my bike and doing the daily rounds I used to have. Something broke though and everything I have done since just hasn't been enough to move on. It was a lot of work to get my health back.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 23:34:01 PM by arrow »

LeilaMay

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
Did you get any joy - or news - on this Roger?
 :vintage:

Roger

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
No, it was a scam. I’ve reported it to the police (fraud action) and to Gumtree.

The amount lost wasn’t huge and in crime terms was trivial. Smarts over here tho... but we live and learn and I’ll be opting out of non PayPal transactions.... and using the not friends payments more on gumtree.

Tbf the whole experience has left me pretty flat...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
Oh Roger, how awful. I do hope you manage to recover your money.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
Sorry to hear this Roger, big or small you're looking at it the right way and it'll stick with you every time you buy which isn't a bad thing but very, very annoying nevertheless.

I've only used Gumtree once & paid on collection. What's the not friends payment option?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

LeilaMay

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
Oh I am sorry  :(

We'll keep looking for nice white featherweights together then (((hug)))

About the paypal thing - if you send money to "friends and family" they don't have to pay a fee to receive the money at the other end - i.e. they get all the pennies you sent. BUT you can't claw the money back.
If you send it as "payment for goods and services" the receiver pays a fee i.e. they do not receive all the pennies you send, but you do have a possibility to claw back the money if the service you receive is not to standard.

It also applies when you sell on ebay - not only do ebay take their fee but your payment via paypal also owes paypal a fee, which is taken during the transaction. So you end up with less than you might think!

Hope that made sense

Leila
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:40:42 AM by LeilaMay »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
Oh dear, what a shame, the dirty robbing thieving b*****ds!!!
And of course it's not just about the money - you've got no white featherweight  :(

wrenkins

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 13:03:28 PM »
That's rubbish Roger. What a let down. I hate when people are nasty.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Samantha

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 13:04:40 PM »
Ah sorry to read this Roger, what a disappointment.  :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: to the scammers

Surest1tch

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 17:15:15 PM »
Oh Roger I am so sorry to hear this  :'(.  I hate to hear of people getting ripped off.

BrendaP

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 17:18:13 PM »
I doubt that you'll ever see your money again  :'(  an expensive lesson to learn.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzy777

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
No, it was a scam. I’ve reported it to the police (fraud action) and to Gumtree.

The amount lost wasn’t huge and in crime terms was trivial. Smarts over here tho... but we live and learn and I’ll be opting out of non PayPal transactions.... and using the not friends payments more on gumtree.

Tbf the whole experience has left me pretty flat...

I'm really sorry to hear that it was a scam, after you were so excited at getting this machine. The amount may not have been huge, but it sort of makes you lose confidence in using these sites again and that's not good.

You could just have walked away from it and not said anything but you have done the bravest thing by reporting it to the Police and to Gumtree. Hopefully that means someone else may not be scammed anytime soon by these same scammers.

I wanted a purse once (as did my friend) . The design of it was not available in the UK but was available in the US. I saw someone selling them on ebay (a trade seller) and the total cost with p&p wasn't an awful lot more than if it had been bought from the UK (but did have customs to pay on it though :'(). Anyways, the purses arrived and I just felt some of the quality on my purse (we chose different colours) didn't quite seem to be like the brand should be, small things but I felt the purse wasn't the brand and was a copy.

I had used Paypal. I emailed the Seller and she was adamant that it was the genuine thing (and she sells these in many countries). Anyway to cut a long story short. She paid back all the money plus p&p for my purse (the other one seemed fine) and told me to keep the purse.  it took a few emails etc and I did advise Paypal as well. But I got the money back.
Taught me a lesson too and left a bit of a bad taste too.

You need to remember you have bought several vintage machines before? And, you weren't scammed, so it was just one bad apple. So you must have been doing something right  :) That's the way I viewed it for myself too. But I try to use PayPal mostly as they are very supportive.

lizzy