The Sewing Place

lightweight simple portable sewing machine

jk1066

lightweight simple portable sewing machine
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
What machine does anyone recommend buying? I am not bothered by lots of stitches so long as it does straight stitch and if possible zigzag but not essential. My main requirement is that it is light and uses a low amperage. I want something to take away on holiday in our motorhome. Sometimes we are on electric hook up or staying in a cottage so 220v is fine but to use it in the van the amps need to be low. Otherwise using it with an invertor will very quickly flatten our battery. Weight and size are also important so that I can easily carry it into places we might be staying . Any ideas - not vintage as they are too heavy. I'm not intending to spend hours sewing while on holiday but I do enjoy it now and again especially if it's raining.
Many thanks

arrow

Re: lightweight simple portable sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »
A couple of the vintage models aren't heavy at all, but they are straight stitchers and 220V. I know quite a few of the new machines run on converter plugs, and I guess there's hope finding a low voltage machine. Some Husqvarnas takes 24V bulbs, some brands take 12V bulbs, and I guess some have low voltage motors too. The problem would be to find a model who has the converter in the plug end and not internally in the body. 

Roger

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 13:14:28 PM »
(Sorry vintage) The original Elna lotus models again very late vintage machine that won design awards, they’re very light and compact and designed for travel. My grandmother used hers for everything, costumes, alterations, small curtains and upholstery fabrics for arm covers and cushions.

My grandmother travelled widely across the world and always took it with her. I’d definitely give them a look as a viable travel model.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 13:26:40 PM »
I have a vintage Singer 28k hand crank, which is a 3/4 size machine. Very cheap to run, can be used outside, as you provide the power! It will only straight stitch but you can still get lots of different feet, attachments and even a buttonhole attachment.

I wouldn’t pay more than £40 for one as there are still plenty about. If it’s just for occasional sewing a hand crank is great, but obviously you can only guide with one hand. Having said that when they were made that’s all they had and still managed making clothes.
Procrastination get behind me

jk1066

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 14:18:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far. Checking the weights of the machines mentioned the singer hand crank is 13kg - not light . The vintage elnas are  lighter but still about 6kg I'm wondering if anyone has used a modern hobby craft  Midi Sewing Machine as they weigh only 1.9kg. I appreciate they will not be a great machine but will they work?

Kad

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 15:40:05 PM »
I had a Janome Platinum 720 for classes, until it accompanied DD to uni. It has only 20 stitches but uses standard Janome clip-on feet and bobbins and is nicely lightweight. I believe that it's now discontinued but you'll probably be able to find a pre owned one online in the usual places. It had a 'more able' sibling, the JP760 I think too.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 18:51:53 PM »
@jk1066 not had experience of this actual machine. But have seen plenty of the John Lewis ones.  You can only use them for light or medium fabric.  Anything else will probably put the timing out.  Having the machine fixed will probably be more than it cost to buy.  Bit of a worry in the video seeing a metal bobbin used in a plastic case. 
The reality is that it must have cost less than £20 for Hobbycraft to buy.  Once everyone has been paid up to that point, there can't be a lot of money left for actual materials. 

annieg

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 16:19:03 PM »
I'm a recent joiner so have only just read through this post.
I'm a serial sewing machine purchaser and have recently passed on 3 machines to my local college, however I did keep a Create & Craft 130 Brother machine because its so light (all plastic).
I bought it 2nd hand so didn't pay too much for it.
Its quite compact and sews to a reasonably high standard including one step auto buttonholes.
 :woof:
Anniegg