The Sewing Place

Overlocker Scrap Bag

Lolli

Overlocker Scrap Bag
« on: April 29, 2018, 17:43:59 PM »
As the overlocker I've just ordered hasn't got a bin on the front (and I really wanted one), I've made this today ready for it's arrival. I added a piece of cardboard in the front section to add some weight so it will stick out and catch the mess.
Ideally it would have been good to make this on an overlocker but seen as it's not here yet....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Obviously placed in front of my sewing machine for illustration purposes!  :D

WendyW

Re: Overlocker Scrap Bag
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 18:15:29 PM »
Nice job! Much prettier than mine. I have one similar to this. I came across it at an expo decades ago and snapped it up. A catcher of some sort is essential. My new machine came with an attached one, and I like this better because it holds much more and doesn't have to be moved every time I need to thread the machine.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 18:20:07 PM »
What a good idea. I've never seen one of these before. All these years I've just assumed that you catch all the wee bits by yourself and go round the floor with the vacuum cleaner every so often.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 18:54:23 PM »
Good idea.  I have one that came with the machine. But I also have a posh thread catcher.....a plastic bag taped to the table.  :)

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 19:39:58 PM »
Brilliant Lolli, now all it has to do is wait for the new Juki to arrive and away you go.   Hope you enjoyed making this.

Lolli

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 22:04:17 PM »
Thanks everyone  :flower:
@Elnnina I really did enjoy making it. My OH went to the local DIY shop to buy me a long right angle measuring thingy so I could draw it straight haha. Believe you me, without it, it probably would have ended up a triangle  0_0
I have to give credit to Mr Lolli for the cardboard idea, he thought it would be a good way of keeping it open....it works a treat.
Now just to wait for my delivery....

Celia

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
Looks great

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »
Looks great and practical. I’ve just bought a Juki overlocker and I’m over the moon with it. It has a catcher on the front, but TBH I keep forgetting to put it on :|

I was going to have a go at covering a washing tab box and putting a flap on to go under the machine, but the cardboard works just as well.
Procrastination get behind me

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 15:21:46 PM »
That looks so nice, @Lolli!  I too have a natty plastic bag stuck under my overlocker  :devil:  now you're making me feel deprived and guilty  :P

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 15:25:36 PM »
I have all the materials to make one but just need to find the time to do it.  All the scraps just go on the floor with the pins and anything else I might drop.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 21:50:53 PM »
Great thinking

Lolli

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 23:50:06 PM »
Thanks everyone, i just hope it works!!  0_0