The Sewing Place

New SteamGen Iron

b15erk

New SteamGen Iron
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
I've been having trouble with my Philips Steam Generator iron for some time now, and last week it gave up steaming altogether.

I ordered a new one, a Philips GC8715/20 PerfectCare , Optimum Temperature (doesn't burn), and it arrived on Friday.

I have to say, initially I had mixed feelings about this.  There is no temperature regulator, none, and no back stand to rest the iron on.... different.

But, it has a 1.8 ltr reservoir, which takes tap water! 

I've used it all weekend, and I have to say, I am coming round.  It was the lack of a back stand which threw me - you just leave the iron, face down on the ironing board!

For example, for Lilya's dress, the top is taffeta, and the bottom, cotton - and no temp adjustments needed!!

Also, a saving grace for me, and one I missed with my last steam gen, is that it switches off after 5 mins if it isn't used.

I will report back when I have used it a bit more, but up to now, it's promising.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

Re: New SteamGen Iron
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »
I've seen that on a Youtube tute where the demonstrator sets her iron down willy nilly! I was so fascinated by that that I had to rewind.  :|
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
It is very strange Wren, I automatically wanted to stand it on end!  It hasn't burnt anything yet though!

Very promising.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
This is the one I sent back because I just couldn't get on with it at all! Since then I've spoken with someone who thought it was the bee's knees, so I hope you make friends with it.

I couldn't adapt to leaving it face down on the ironing board and I found it didn't get hot enough to iron cotton stuff.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 13:58:13 PM »
My Philips doesn't get hot enough for my liking either. 

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »
I thought it was time for a review of my new Philips Steam Generator Iron.

I bought this one: Philips GC8715/20 PerfectCare , Optimum Temperature, and was a bit uncertain at first.  It was quite expensive £149.99, and more than I wanted to pay, but it seemed to be a good deal.

After using it for a couple of weeks now, I can safely say I love it!  I've got used to leaving it face down (it doesn't burn), and I love that it turns off after 5 mins.  The temperature isn't a problem, as the steam does most of the smoothing.  I have developed a good technique for difficult fabrics, I steam them well, and then leave the iron in place for a few minutes, and it gives a lovely crisp finish.

I like the fact that there is no messing with little jugs to fill it up.  I just remove the reservoir, fill with water, and replace.

All in all a positive review, and far better, up to now than my previous Philips Steam Gen.

Jessie

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
I have a Philips steam gen, probably a cheaper model than you. My water container isn’t removable. I use the water from my tumble dryer and try to clean the unit regularly. With an ordinary steam iron I always forgot to clean it and when I did I’d get all sorts of gunk coming out of the holes and would spend ages digging it out with a toothpick. Haven’t had that issue with the steam gen. I don’t mind there’s no temperature control. I managed to make a set of lined cotton curtains and it did what I wanted it to do.

annieg

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 13:43:21 PM »
My thanks to all contributors to this post.  It's great to have the opinion of sewists rather  than trying to rely on customer reviews on Amazon!
 :woof:
Anniegg

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
The clean/calc light came on over the weekend, and I duly did it - it won't steam if you don't.  I was impressed, you stand it on an iron shaped plastic bowl, press the button, and a couple of minutes later it's done.

No debris at all in the bowl.  This may be because I've been using de-mineralised water, but you can use tap.

Normal service resumed!

Jessie

Starryfish

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
Do you use the steam gen to attach interfacing? I usually use a dry iron for this as I read somewhere it is better.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
I do SF, and it works beautifully. You don't have to use the steam, but without it, it doesn't get as hot as a conventional iron.

As far as irons go, it is a joy to use.  ;)

Jessie

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 13:18:59 PM »
It sounds like, you're really enjoying your new iron (now that's something one doesn't expect to say too often) but I just wondered why you use demineralised water, Jessie?

In the 30 years I lived 10 miles north of you we always used tap water. It was so soft that any kettle, even after years of use, looked the same inside as it was when new.

That's one of many things that I still miss about living up there. It was  like showering in silk.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 14:10:51 PM »
When I was a girl, we lived in Rainhill, and the water there came from NorthWales and was beautifully soft, no need for any softening agents. Our local water in Billinge and St Helens is awful MS, it's full of lime which becomes gritty inside the reservoir. That was what contributed to the demise of my previous steam gen. 

So, to be on the safe side, although the instructions say tap water can be used as well, I prefer to use de-ionised water (just read the lable).  Not sure if that is the same as de-mineralised, but we keep it at work, and there is a symbol of an iron on the front.  It comes in 5ltrs, so lasts a while.

After I had cleaned it last night, there wasn't even a hint of limescale.

Jessie

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 17:54:03 PM »
The water supply for us in Leyland came from the Lakes, I seem to recall so you're sadly on the losing side there… and frustratingly not that far away.  :(
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 21:37:38 PM »
The water supply for us in Leyland came from the Lakes, I seem to recall

You are correct @Marniesews, our water here in Leyland does indeed come from the Lakes

I'm interested in this fancy iron business, my battered Tefal is 23 years old (so is the ironing board). I need an upgrade!