The Sewing Place

Looking for a shirtdress pattern ...

UttaRetch

Looking for a shirtdress pattern ...
« on: April 30, 2018, 20:17:32 PM »
to recreate this coat as a dress.

I found

this cotton sateen fabric for the skirt in a Goldhawk Road shop today.  Any suggestions?

UttaRetch

Re: Looking for a shirtdress pattern ...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 21:54:15 PM »
I've seen this and, yes, view A

with full sleeves definitely has possibilities.  I will look at some reviews.

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 22:52:37 PM »
I made a dress very much like this, by combining the sleeves, back and skirt of a the shirt dress from a Gertie book.  When the original pattern failed, and I took those pieces, and then used my Singer Plus blouse pattern, using the front and the back (to create a yoke) pattern pieces to create the top part.  I fashioned the waistband, for the front, and then put it all together.  It worked out, as well as being comfortable.  Unlike the mccalls pattern, the back waist is elasticised, which adds to the comfort level. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 00:35:34 AM »
Sorry, but to me the skirt and the rest of the outfit look horribly mis-matched. :ninja:

The bright skirt should be paired with a plain, brightly coloured top.  The bodice (if it is a dress) looks like it's a jacket stuffed inside a skirt :S.  It would be OK as a jacket with either a matching skirt or a plain black one, but either way worn on top of the skirt.

The skirt looks to be a straightforward button through dirndle style - and yes the Goldhawk Road fabric would make a nice bright summery skirt, but not paired with a small black and white houndstooth check. :x
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
@Francesca: this blogger took quite a critical look at the pattern and I note her reservations.  This reviewer made a nice version where she managed to eliminate both the blousing and the gathers in the bodice pack.  I'm going to keep looking for possible patterns.

@BrendaP0_0  0_0 the combination of the check and floral is precisely what I love about the coat.

jen

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
I’m also a fan of the surprising fabric combo. No pattern suggestions, but great find for the patterned fabric, have you got anything lined up for the top yet?

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:20:05 AM »
If you mean fabric, I have seen houndstooth check all over the place and am thinking a biggish pattern would work well.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
I've made this Simplicity one twice and am cutting out a third

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-shirt-dress-simplicity-pattern-8014

Love it!

Samantha

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
I have actually blogged the two I've already made

https://deluxezigzag.wordpress.com/

Version d

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 17:39:13 PM »
what about this I have now made 4 of these.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 17:47:16 PM »
Thanks, but I need a waist seam and SLEEVES.  0_0

Lizzy777

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 18:37:00 PM »
This is, I think, a nicely designed pattern. Although I realise it is short sleeved. Would you be able to alter it to long sleeves yourself?

I really like the back view as well. Looks good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sally-Shirt-Dress-Womens-Sewing-Pattern-by-Serendipity-Studio/311918744096?hash=item489fce5220:g:qfgAAOSwD8BZbhMA

"Revisit a classic design with a fresh modern twist ... the shirtdress! This design has only 4 pattern pieces, so the cutting and sewing couldn't be easier. The clever pleating technique at the waistline allows for the perfect custom fit."

https://www.sewbox.co.uk/collections/serendipity-studio-sewing-patterns/products/serendipity-studio-124-the-sally-dress
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 18:39:24 PM by Lizzy777 »

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 19:12:10 PM »
Again, thank you.  However, this is another dress that doesn't appear to have a waist seam - I couldn't find any line drawings - and the pleating in the bodice wouldn't work with the dogtooth check I plan to use.

Lizzy777

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 20:04:34 PM »
Again, thank you.  However, this is another dress that doesn't appear to have a waist seam - I couldn't find any line drawings - and the pleating in the bodice wouldn't work with the dogtooth check I plan to use.

Yvw. Yes it would have helped to have line drawings I agree. :(   Sorry about that.
But you could just pleat up to your waistline and create a waistline for the top part to attach too? I'll carry on looking to see if I can find anything closer.

Lizzy777

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 20:28:26 PM by Lizzy777 »