The Sewing Place

Looking for a shirtdress pattern ...

UttaRetch

Re: Looking for a shirtdress pattern ...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 20:39:57 PM »
Thanks for these latest, which I have also seen.  Truth is that the perfect pattern is probably not out there and I must be prepared to attempt modifications.

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 20:42:42 PM »
I like the bright floral with the check too...

Lizzy777

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 21:01:30 PM »
Thanks for these latest, which I have also seen.  Truth is that the perfect pattern is probably not out there and I must be prepared to attempt modifications.

Yes, I thought you may have seen these but put the link up just in case you hadn't. The top is like a jacket top isn't it, which makes it difficult to find the perfect pattern out there for what you are aiming for.

Is the picture you put on your post, from a recent fashion show?

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 21:14:36 PM »
McCalls 7084 (which I used for the One Pattern Three Ways challenge) has sleeves and a waist seam.  One of the versions I saw on Pattern Review showed version D with a contrasting fabric for the godets.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzy777

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 22:35:44 PM »
I've just found where it is from. The Fall 2018 fashion show for Balenciaga. It's slide 2/24 on the attached link.

Really interesting designs and colour.

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2018-ready-to-wear/balenciaga/slideshow/atmosphere#2

I do think this is a jacket and skirt set up rather than an all in one coat ?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 22:53:14 PM by Lizzy777 »

Lizzy777

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 23:00:27 PM »
Sorry, but to me the skirt and the rest of the outfit look horribly mis-matched. :ninja:

The bright skirt should be paired with a plain, brightly coloured top.  The bodice (if it is a dress) looks like it's a jacket stuffed inside a skirt :S.  It would be OK as a jacket with either a matching skirt or a plain black one, but either way worn on top of the skirt.

The skirt looks to be a straightforward button through dirndle style - and yes the Goldhawk Road fabric would make a nice bright summery skirt, but not paired with a small black and white houndstooth check. :x

It's part of Balenciaga's Fall/Autumn 2018 ready to wear fashion, Another mix of a jacket and skirt here too

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2018-ready-to-wear/balenciaga/slideshow/collection#19

It looks to me as if it is a jacket inserted into the skirt. That seems to be the style for Fall '18 from what I can see from some designers. Interesting.  Must admit its growing on me this mix of pattern and colour.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 08:20:02 AM »
It's definitely a coat.  Look at the waistband area.

I have deliberately kept the image large.

fajita

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »
And no makeup or jewellery.

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »
Look at that fabric, and those lovely pleats!  But, is it me, or is the front band not quite lined up???  ><

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »
The two outer dresses appear to be single fabrics with a large pattern repeat.  I have a dress made last year with a fabric like that (from The Textile Centre) with blue, green and purple flowers and patches of grey/black lace.  I can't take a photo at the moment because it's currently going around in the washing machine, but it obviously works as I've had several compliments when wearing it. 

The middle dress looks to be several colours of the same floral pattern. 

None of them show fabric as mis-matched as the original photo.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
It might just be an opportunity to mix and match those ill matched florals which are languishing in my stash....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
@UttaRetch

It's a hard one to call re the is it a coat or is it a jacket? I can see where you are coming from on this but I wondered if they were separates because I saw similar skirts with those bands (didn't bookmark the page unfortunately so can't just find it easily now) and also Balenciaga in his Fall 2018 collection is looking at fitted jackets with trousers over the waist and skirts etc.  So I don't know one way or the other at the moment. Have been trying to see if the coat or jacket is reviewed anywhere but can't see one for this. Will be interesting to find out.

Lizzy777

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
It might just be an opportunity to mix and match those ill matched florals which are languishing in my stash....

Jessie

Have a look at this review. It's interesting about the mish mash of colours and patterns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/03/05/balenciaga-looks-a-little-bonkers-right-now-but-trust-us-in-a-couple-years-your-eyes-will-adjust/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5c02f9ea7d3e

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
@b15erk: you joke, but PatternReview is running a polka dots/stripes contest later this year.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 20:13:01 PM »
I did a shirt-waister from a favourite skirt and a favourite blouse thirty-something years ago.  The skirt had slight gathers into its waistband and it had a concealed button band.  The blouse had slight gathers into the shoulder yoke and, likewise, concealed buttons, so gathering the blouse into the waistband worked.  Maybe that idea could work in this case too?