The Sewing Place

Make me feel better..seam-ripping

Lulu

Make me feel better..seam-ripping
« on: April 30, 2018, 21:30:43 PM »
What's the most that anyone has ever had to unpick?

This was my biggest session ever today..but I'm sure there's plenty more to come!

Ploshkin

Re: Make me feel better..seam-ripping
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 21:37:07 PM »
Why did you need to unpick it all?
Life's too short for ironing.

Roger

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 21:42:48 PM »
I always have to unpick at least 1 sleeve once per top... but the rules are if I muck up I have to unpick and repin ready for my next sewing session... otherwise it’s UFO time.

Hope yours is going ok!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 22:12:35 PM »
Repeated unripping of flat felled seams, two rows of stitches! Getting the the folding right in flat felled seams can be horrible. Top stitch thread is expensive too. I have two small backpacks waiting for me, very flimsy thin nylon. The seams came undone or rather sort of slided off as the weave in the fabric came undone. I have enforced the seams by double stitching most places, then multiple times over in areas that get any strain. I know have to replace the zippers, and I have sewn over the end of the zipper waaaaay to many times.  :P

Lulu

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 22:53:13 PM »
Why did you need to unpick it all?
@Ploshkin  the fabric pieces are completely misaligned..one set of straps is meant to be lower than the other so that they can reach over the shoulders. I lined the straps up and assumed the over-run on the legs was something to do with the cuffs (lol!)

Lulu

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 23:03:11 PM »
I always have to unpick at least 1 sleeve once per top... but the rules are if I muck up I have to unpick and repin ready for my next sewing session... otherwise it’s UFO time.

Hope yours is going ok!

@Roger That is a good rule to have, you don't feel as though you have lost progress then.
Alas, the fabric on my pieces has started to curl at the edges, so as it probably requires pressing it will need to wait until another day I think!

What do you mean by UFO?

Lulu

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 23:10:38 PM »
Repeated unripping of flat felled seams, two rows of stitches! Getting the the folding right in flat felled seams can be horrible. Top stitch thread is expensive too. I have two small backpacks waiting for me, very flimsy thin nylon. The seams came undone or rather sort of slided off as the weave in the fabric came undone. I have enforced the seams by double stitching most places, then multiple times over in areas that get any strain. I know have to replace the zippers, and I have sewn over the end of the zipper waaaaay to many times.  :P

@arrow I hadn't even thought about double lines of stitching! That must be a pain! A flat felled seam is how the inside  leg of a pair of jeans is sewn, I seem to remember from another conversation?

What will you do to keep the stitching secure when you cut out the zipper?  :o

Lyn-J

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 23:20:35 PM »
Think of the jaws theme tune  0_0 :devil:
Hope you get it done soon!

Roger

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 06:52:06 AM »
A UFO is an Un Finished Object - in other words something I lose interest in completing. If I don’t leave it ready for the pleasant job of sewing it together I would gradually get further and further away from getting round to unpicking then resewing it... then UFO status...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
@Lulu   the curl will be because it is a stretch fabric.  Some curl more than others (across the knit) and more as you handle the fabric.  Pin before you sew and try not to handle the fabric more than you have to until the main pieces are joined together.  Starting your sewing career with stretch is quite challenging and you're learning as you go.  You'll get there, just keep asking.
Life's too short for ironing.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
Definitely... I avoid stretch materials... but I’ll have to bite the bullet at some point and give them a go...

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »
I have a UFO - a shirt made out of gauzy fabric that is very difficult to tell which is the right and wrong side. I have stitched the bodice top to the bodice bottom about 5 times now, I may dig it out again just for a laugh!!

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
@Lulu   the curl will be because it is a stretch fabric.  Some curl more than others (across the knit) and more as you handle the fabric.

The curl isn't because simply because it's a stretch fabric, not all of them curl.  It's curling because it's a single jersey - the same construction just much finer as hand knitted stocking stitch (1 row knit, 1 row purl).  It's the nature of the fabric and you just have to work with it.  Once made up the garment will be fine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 13:07:03 PM »
I've used mine a lot just lately although with a straight stitch it is relatively easy, just a pain.  I hate zips when you  are doing it through interfacing as well, usually because I've got too close and won't zip up.  Felled seams must be a bit of a beggar. 

I suppose you could say I have got quite good at seam ripping with my trusty Clover, decent handle on it and a good ripping 'blade'.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

arrow

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 13:49:26 PM »
Clover ripper? I have to search it up when I have time. I have and old seam ripper that came with a 201, it is the best so far. The ones I bough randomly in stores or on ebay doesn't do the job at all. I am on the look for a pair of very sharp point scissors; I have a few small thread and embroidery scissors I have used for ripping seams, but I also have a pair of very old embroidery scissors, one of the silver handles have come off, but generally they are of a quality I haven't found anywhere. Very sharp tips, finely made, firm feel to them and I wish I knew who made them. The don't make small every day items as nice as this any more, I think it was a gift to someone in the 1920s. I need a new pair of small scissors, but it has to be the right quality to be worth it. I talk too much, but my main point is, you don't know you have a good seam ripper or pair of scissors or until you have tried one.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 14:39:27 PM by arrow »