The Sewing Place

Make me feel better..seam-ripping

wrenkins

Re: Make me feel better..seam-ripping
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 13:58:31 PM »
@arrow This might help. Scissors
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 22:40:36 PM »
Had to seam rip a frill this morning - 6 and half metres of the bugger - wrong frill onto wrong dress. :angry:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 22:43:56 PM »
Six and a half metres?  Send in the smelling salts.

Lolli

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 10:24:01 AM »
I unpicked two leotards yesterday. Had to take out all the elastic from round the top and leg holes, then take apart all the seams. It took 3 hours but I found it therapeutic.....is that weird?  :[

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
The worst seams to unpick are those that are straight stitched, overlocked and topstitched - you'd think I'd have noticed the problem sooner wouldn't you??  :S

Sewsuzie

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 13:15:16 PM »
It took 3 hours but I found it therapeutic.....is that weird?  :[

Not weird in my world! I love unpicking.... the trickier, the better. Lace off the hems of wedding dresses is my favourite, when they need to be shortened. I also enjoy the free motion stitching it all back on again.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

jen

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 15:39:52 PM »
Not a fan of unpicking. It still happens, but I’d sooner tack a difficult bit than sew it with that sinking feeling you get when you know it’s going to go wrong.

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 15:49:30 PM »
I unpicked an entire quilt top. 48 blocks worth. I put it together and the values just didn't work so it had to go and I did it all in one go because I knew if I stopped half way I'd never start again. All the gazillion little pieces are sitting in a shoe box....waiting.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 22:40:43 PM »
Blimey Wrenkins, that's mega unpicking - you're the champion! :flower: :flower:

jen

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 07:23:59 AM »
Wrenkins, I’m lost for words.

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
Wrenkins, may I borrow you this morning please?  ;)

My unpicker is poised for a mornings work, as I have frilled netting to remove from Lilya's Birthday Frock.  It needs taking up by about an 11/2", and the easiest way to do it is to take the petticoat frill off, and work from there.

It's going to be a long morning.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
@b15erk  Be over shortly. Keep the coffee coming and I'm all yours.  :D

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »
Wrenkins, where were you ?   ;)

Finished the dress hem (circular skirt - :S), and just started re-attaching the net frill.  Need to pin and tack so that I can check for 'peeking'.

Lining is tacked in place over the zip, but that will be the last job.  Only got to make a bow to match tonight, and then I can move on to finish the Mermaid!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 13:50:27 PM »
Bit late now J but couldn't you have just put a tuck into the body of the skirt?   I had to take up three 6 metre skirts today - the ones I thought I'd finished last week, because the weight of the frill, although only georgette had pulled the jersey down a lot and they touched the floor. I was going to be good and unpick then I thought - no sod it, I'll put a tuck in right at the join. Looks fine and saved me murdering someone with the unpicker!