The Sewing Place

Hello from Scotland

Pineau

Hello from Scotland
« on: May 01, 2018, 18:08:09 PM »
Hello everyone.

As seems to be the case for others here, I’ve just started sewing again after a long break. Things have moved on while I’ve been away!

So I’m relearning old stuff and trying new things - I’m enjoying getting into sewing things I might actually enjoy wearing (swimwear, bras, knits) as opposed to the sad and generally ill-fitting box shaped dresses and skirts I turned out in the 1980s and 90s because I didn’t fit into high street fashion.

I’m looking forward to picking up new ideas and inspiration from these forums!

Renegade Sewist

Re: Hello from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 18:09:54 PM »
Welcome Pineau! It's a friendly bunch here and full of great ideas they are! Enjoy having a look around.  :flower:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 18:10:44 PM »
Welcome.  Grab a :drink: and a slice of :cake: and go for a wonder about.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 18:27:23 PM »
Sorry had to edit. Was texting on phone and doing this at the same time. Put wrong message on here. Could have been awkward. Lol

Welcome.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 18:28:57 PM by Fajita »

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 19:43:59 PM »
Welcome, Pineau.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 19:45:52 PM »
Hi, Pineau.  Welcome.  Hope you enjoy being part of our merry gang.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 19:57:57 PM »
Welcome. Are you near the sewing emporia of Glasgow? I'm hoping for a quick trip to Mandors next week and I see there's another shop south of the river if I can work out where it is!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

maliw

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 20:10:56 PM »
Hello and welcome, enjoy the forum.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pineau

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 20:41:07 PM »
Welcome. Are you near the sewing emporia of Glasgow?

Fraid not - east coast/ Borders. Occasional safaris to Glasgow only!

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 21:59:08 PM »
Oooo, that's my area!

Hello and welcome Pineau. I've also returned to sewing after a long break. The internet is a great source of info, haberdashery, patterns, fabrics and advice - particularly TSP!

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 23:42:00 PM »
Hi and welcome to TSP! Enjoy, it's a great place to be  :flower:

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 00:37:07 AM »
Happy to meet you, Pineau. You'll enjoy the forum - there's a wealth of information on here. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 02:50:28 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too, Pineau.

A lot has changed it's true with new ways of doing things. That really surprised me when I returned to sewing 4 years ago. Sadly, there's a great variety in the quality of information, without wishing to sound like a grumpy old woman (but probably failing) there are some fairly new sewers who have set up blogs and are a little too quick to offer their 'little learning' as advice to even newer sewers before they've really got to grips with finer points of the techniques themselves. They often have excellent presentation, promotion and IT skills, however, so it's not always obvious at first.

That's where your old skills will help you cut through the huge mounds of blogs, videos and tutorials to find the wonderful stuff that is also out there. Everyone here is happy to share their own experiences and some very knowledgeable folk with superb sewing skills too, so don't be shy to ask.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bowerbird

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 05:57:35 AM »
Welcome Pineau. There's plenty folk on here happy to help you  relearn your skills, and share links with useful sites.

(oh, and lead you astray too  ;))

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too!