The Sewing Place

Hand quilting

Bogwoppit

Hand quilting
« on: May 01, 2018, 18:28:51 PM »
Inspired by the cushions from Pearl in the great mystery cushion swap, I plan to have a go at hand quilting. Is there a recommendation on thread? I wondered if using embroidery silks would work ok? I have lots from cross stitching days.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Pearl

Re: Hand quilting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 18:51:05 PM »
The kind of quilting I did is called big stitching.  @Lowena is the expert around these parts.   Yes, you can use embroidery silks.  I use perle no. 8.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 21:43:52 PM »
The little bit of hand quilting that I did once was with pearl cotton - I think it was size 8.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 21:51:16 PM »
Now I just need to have a go at some of the block of the month tutorials and start turning them into cushion covers with creative hand quilting. They can be this year's hand made Xmas presents.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
Hiya @Bogwoppit ... there are different kinds of hand quilting. If you want tiny stitches you need size 9" betweens" needles  and a couple of strands of embroidery thread or thin cotton thread. You do tiny, rocking motion stitches. It's not easy until you get "into the groove"
If you want the stitches to be more decorative, use an embroidery or preferably a sashiko needle and either perle no8 thread or embroidery cotton. The stitches must be even, but size doesn't matter, it depends what effect you want to achieve. It is called "big stitch " quilting, although, as I say, the length of stitch is up to you and your design.
Hope that's helpful  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread BW, I'm going to have a go at this on the fin of my Mermaid.  I had awful trouble with the batting catching on the machine feed dogs, so decided doing it by hand was the way to go.

Now I know which needles and thread to use as well!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 19:21:46 PM »
I had awful trouble with the batting catching on the machine feed dogs

Was there a reason why you didn't have backing fabric  so the wadding is sandwiched between layers?

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »
Maybe she B15erk want the stitches showing on the back ??

With the The Village I am appliqueing the various bits and bobs onto the piecing with a lightweight non fusible interfacing behind before I layer and quilt it ....

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
DOB, I was struggling with the instructions on the project I'm making, and it was only later that I decided to cut a backing piece to cover the feed dogs  :S  I was having a pretty bad day, and the brain cell refused to co-operate with the task in hand!

All rectified now, but it was easier to hand sew.  It won't show anyway, as it will be covered with sequins.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.