The Sewing Place

Lycra Lining

Lolli

Lycra Lining
« on: May 03, 2018, 13:37:40 PM »
Can anyone recommend where to buy lining for a leotard? I've been searching all morning but as I'm not clued up with fabric compositions I'm baffled at what to get. The outer lycra I've chosen is 208gsm 80% nylon, 20% elastane. I don't want the lining to be too thick and I don't mind if it's white or nude.
I was just going to buy plain lycra, trying to get some of low weight. I've seen this matt nude lycra from Tia Knights which is 164gsm, would it be o.k with it being matt?
If not, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lollipop

Re: Lycra Lining
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 20:10:51 PM »
I don't think it matters whether it is matt or lustre for lining as long as it is not too heavy. The Tia Knight nude lycra sounds OK to me as that's pretty lightweight. I often use swimwear lining which works well.
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 21:29:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply @Lollipop I didn't want to buy the wrong thing and ruin the leotard. I'm still learning about fabric weights etc. I'll have a look at swimwear lining too  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 21:36:43 PM »
20% lycra/elastane will be very stretchy, and I think the Tia Knight one will be as well.  It should be fine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lolli

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 23:45:59 PM »
Brilliant, thank you @BrendaP

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 02:32:51 AM »
I generally use lightweight lycra when lining light colours otherwise I'll use a lightweight nylon lycra that has the same amount of stretch. I stay away from polyester lycra as it doesn't seem to have good "return". I use "caress" from Eclipse fabrics (Australia) which is like a swimwear lining.

Lollipop

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »
A couple of years ago I made a pair of lyrical dresses using a leo made from a metallic lycra which I self lined. What a disaster!! When the girls came to try them on they could hardly move in them. I learned the hard way about the reduction in stretch and won't ever make that mistake again.  :S
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 13:28:08 PM »
Good old Immanuel's....I love that place  :loveit:
By the time I decided what to get I knew ordering online would mean delivery mid next week but with it being bank holiday weekend I wanted to make the most of the time I had to crack on with the project.
I gave Immanuel's a call this morning to see if they had what I wanted to avoid a wasted journey. Needless to say I've come away with 10m of lightweight lycra (some nude, some white) perfect for lining leotards....only £20  :D

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 18:36:34 PM »
I'm not listening and I'm not jealous no, no I'm not at all. Stupid price, stupid. :o :o :o :o
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lolli

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 19:25:27 PM »
I said to them today "this place is famous in the sewing world you know". The guy behind the counter said "this place is a treasure trove to all those who love sewing, but to those who don't...."
Haha poor fella  :D

I'm incredibly lucky it being only 40 minutes away from me.