The Sewing Place

Tails

Lolli

Tails
« on: May 03, 2018, 16:02:53 PM »
(The overlocker type of course) What do you do with yours?

I've tried the knot method, I can't get the knot close enough to the edge of the fabric.
Putting it through a big needle and feeding it in the stitches....I'm not a fan.
Is it o.k to split the tail, 2 threads in each hand and tie a knot that way?

Lachica

Re: Tails
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 16:09:02 PM »
Yes. But if I'm going to sew over the tails later, then I don't bother. I usually unravel the threads until I have 2 short & 2 long, knot them.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 16:09:31 PM »
I do the threading method, it's the one I prefer, but there is another method which I found a bit too involved for me, but I'll try to find the video for you.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 16:10:40 PM »
I use the big needle and thread it into the stitches method, although recently I have use the patented bodgeit* method of cut it off and hope for the best  0_0  0_0

*In the event of someone copying this method, I cannot be held responsible for any failures  :P

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 16:20:48 PM »
Overlocker Tips

I think this is the video I mentioned.  If it's not, it will be one of a series, and they are all very good.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 16:55:52 PM »
I used to thread the tails through the stitches, but I saw Amanda Wyatt on the Sewing Quarter doing a demo and she suggests stopping where you need to, without running off the edge, she then cranked the hand wheel backwards very slightly, this stops the looping and then you pull away and can tie the threads just like on a sewing machine.  I'm not sure cranking backwards is a good idea but it certainly is very neat doing it that way.  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 17:32:30 PM »
I pull thr tail through the stitches too.

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 17:40:33 PM »
I've seen some funky videos where at the beginning you sew a couple of stitches in then bring the tail forward under the foot then sew over it a little then let the knife cut off the excess.
At the end of sewing, the fabric is flipped over, tail brought forward and then sewn over.....but then your stitches are different on one side. Maybe feeding in with a needle is the easy option.
It's all new to me, trying to get to grips with the basics.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 17:49:25 PM by Lolli »

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 17:41:22 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  me too!  We are the little devils aren't we? :devil: :devil: :devil:
C'est moi!

Lolli

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 19:23:08 PM »
Whilst we're on the subject of tails, I've seen videos where at the end of sewing,  people use scissors to cut the tail but I've also seen people carry on the chain and bring it round under the foot for the knife to cut it. Yay or nay on that?

coffeeandcake

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 20:10:40 PM »
I've seen some funky videos where at the beginning you sew a couple of stitches in then bring the tail forward under the foot then sew over it a little then let the knife cut off the excess.
At the end of sewing, the fabric is flipped over, tail brought forward and then sewn over.....
That's how I do it - easy when you get used to it  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 21:56:31 PM »
I have glued a small piece of felt inside the hinged flap that opens to allow threading of the loopers and I keep a, not too big, blunt ended needle stuck into it.  That way I always have a suitable needle available to thread the tails through the stitching but if I'm going to be sewing over the end I don't bother doing anything
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

datcat23

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 22:54:26 PM »
Never tie off or sew in the tails.  Never.  Yep, I know, the sewing police are on their way.  :P
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

MrsThrifty

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 23:31:52 PM »
For me it depends on what happens at the edge and whether they're going to be under tension or wear. If I'm going to be hemming or binding in the round, I just cut the tail. If I've hemmed flat (in the case of baby sleeves!) then I knot and thread through the last inch or so.

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 16:00:14 PM »
I go with Mrs Thrifty on making the choice. When making dance dresses for others I mostly separate, tie a reef knot and then thread through unless it's woven fabric (as in a ballroom skirt). The dresses have a very long life being sold and resold over again and because they're very stretchy they're often bought by dancers much bigger than the original pattern size. No problem with that but it does put the seams under an awful lot of stress in their lifetime so I'm very much belt and braces on that.

For those made for my DGD I often just sew the chain back into the seam but I rarely just cut off bearing in mind that she'll eventually sell off her dresses.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.