The Sewing Place

Do you have a favourite unpicking tool?

Roger

Do you have a favourite unpicking tool?
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
Off the back of the unpicking discussion...

My usual is an unremarkable large blue unpicker that’s pretty sharp!

But my favourite is this bizarre singer chilli unpicker I found in a box of old stuff...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Efemera

Re: Do you have a favourite unpicking tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »
My favourite is the one I can find at that moment.... don’t know why but they seem to disappear... I keep meaning to buy myself a nice new one but never get round to it.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »
I have some surgical stitch cutters that I inherited from my Aunt, she was a retired midwife.

They are absolutely brilliant, strong and very thin.

I was worried as I was down to my last two but then found a source on fleabay.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
The entirety of my unpicking life. The big blue one is easiest as it's got more handle to grip.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
I have a super unpick with a flat curved blade which slips under stitches beautifully.
I bought it years ago at a stall at a quilt show and have never been able to find another like it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Like Ephie, mine is the one I can lay hands on at the time!

I get them from Home Bargains and buy a few at a time.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 19:42:51 PM »
No telling me off please but I like to use a scalpel.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 19:54:57 PM »
I use scissors, but although I thought I had several unpickers around close inspection af all the likely implements revealed that all but one are mini latch hooks or other tools for making bobbin lace sewings, and the one unpicker is blunt.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

For ages I've just used embroidery scissors, like the EW storks, but those tips are a bit rounded.  The tiny EW pair are teh best but because they are so tiny they are not comfortable to hold for a long time.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the green handled Sarah Kay Buckley 'perfect' scissors which are lovely for general thread snipping but the blades are a bit thick depthwise and today the postman brought me the gold handled Dr Slick scissors  but although the blades are small they are still a bit thick.  The other pair in the photo was a raffle prize last week which look to be quite cheap do have thin blades even though they are quite wide, and they do slip under the stiches quite well.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 03:25:38 AM »
Oh yes, it's these topics that make me realise how finicky I am about my sewing tools.

For years I used only one, a little grey one that came with my dear old Husqvarna 6570 then one day the little red ball fell off!  :o :'(  It had a beautifully smooth blade that rarely caught or plucked the fabric.

It took me a few years to find another that I was happy with, in fact, I've only found a combination that really does that. The top one is the scalpel type mentioned by Sewingsue I assume. I got it when I got my first overlocker but never really got comfortable with it. 

The end of the little brush is smooth and very good for bigger stitches and hand sewing while the two small Bernina ones are my favoured ones - the old discoloured Bernina one has a slightly broader smooth blade (like my original one) but the cutter is blunt so I use the newer one for cutting the thread and the other for pulling threads, great with nylon lycra that plucks so very easily. I enjoy using these so much I now find unpicking really quite therapeutic, including overlocking stitches!  :o

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:39:00 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 06:20:07 AM »
For years I used only one, a little grey one that came with my dear old Husqvarna 6570
Me too, since 1971.   I've still got it but sadly, like yours, the little red ball eventually fell off.
Life's too short for ironing.

elisep

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 13:47:58 PM »
Can anyone recommend an online source for a good brand? After my housemate "borrowed" my unpicker and snapped it  :angry: I had to buy a new one. It's terrible but it was the only option available at the sewing store. Birch used to make decent sewing tools but it's all cheap rubbish now. I miss my old one  :( I'd had it for years but it was a trusty little tool!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 14:06:26 PM »
I have some surgical stitch cutters that I inherited from my Aunt, she was a retired midwife.

They are absolutely brilliant, strong and very thin.

I was worried as I was down to my last two but then found a source on fleabay.

Linky please ... my unpicker is very blunt.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lollipop

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 15:19:11 PM »
For years I used only one, a little grey one that came with my dear old Husqvarna 6570 then one day the little red ball fell off!  :o :'
Have you thought of making a new little ball with a bead and glue?
When you have one that is a favourite it is hard to settle for something else.  :)
Was Sewnanny

Hachi

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 15:31:35 PM »
Mine is this one. The fatness of the handle makes it easier to grab and hold so when I broke the tip once, I bought the same one again.

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 16:00:23 PM »
Yes @Marniesews , that looks like a posher version of the one I love (fancy handle, but same shape of blade).
I would really like to find another like that.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.