The Sewing Place

Do you have a favourite unpicking tool?

maliw

Re: Do you have a favourite unpicking tool?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 19:47:30 PM »
Whatever comes to hand - the 'universal' seam ripper or a pair of scissors, but what I really use whatever the cutting method is a pair of tweezers. I have tweezers that belonged to my grandma and I found them in her button box.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 20:12:20 PM »

ambro0

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:00 AM »
Can anyone recommend an online source for a good brand? After my housemate "borrowed" my unpicker and snapped it  :angry: I had to buy a new one. It's terrible but it was the only option available at the sewing store. Birch used to make decent sewing tools but it's all cheap rubbish now. I miss my old one  :( I'd had it for years but it was a trusty little tool!

Hi elisep,

I am in Australia also and earlier this year I bought 2 Clover unpickers from rubyjamfabric on eBay. They cost me $17.90 ($AU8.95 each) and postage for these and a few other things was $2.00. I don't know how they can send mail so cheaply because I can't.

I have used this brand for years and found they stay sharp.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »
@Ellabella  Oh you mean a real scalpel blade ... I think I might be a lil too dangerous with that.

I can just imagine needing to nick a stray thread from The Village just before FOQ starts and a great gash appearing  :S NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jesster

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 15:23:17 PM »
I like that Clover one as well although my favorite was the one that came with my old Bernina.  There's a new "seam remover" from Kai now.  Has anyone tried it?

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 15:41:38 PM »
I often use a pin  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 17:57:45 PM »
I like that Clover one as well although my favorite was the one that came with my old Bernina.  There's a new "seam remover" from Kai now.  Has anyone tried it?

Looks like something for sorting out your bikini line!

SkoutSews

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 17:58:43 PM »
Depending on the job in hand, it's sharp - pointed embroidery scissors, pin, tweezers and/or seam ripper for me. I'm very cautious with the seam ripper as it's so easy to rip the fabric and would be scared of the Kai seam remover for the same reason.

I get far too much practice  -<

jesster

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 19:34:32 PM »
Looks like something for sorting out your bikini line!

0_0 0_0 0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 21:30:27 PM »
Yes @Marniesews , that looks like a posher version of the one I love (fancy handle, but same shape of blade).
I would really like to find another like that.

This is the one I got - I might have even got it from her, some of her stock I just don't see elsewhere. The blade isn't removable so unfortunately the blades that Ellabella uses can't be used with it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingsue

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 22:43:07 PM »
This is the one I got - I might have even got it from her, some of her stock I just don't see elsewhere. The blade isn't removable so unfortunately the blades that Ellabella uses can't be used with it.

Thank you @Marniesews , I will investigate her site tomorrow (looks as if she has some interesting stuff).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 07:09:09 AM »
Many, many, many, many, many years ago (when I had the waistcoat shop) My next door neighbour bought me a pair of one stitch scissors ... that looked like a smaller version of these ...

I dont know what they are actually called but they are lil and dainty and had a hook on one blade to enable you to cut just one stitch.

She was a lacemaker so it might be something to do with that but I found them invaluable when I was making the waistcoats. I really must dig them out and see if they are any good tackling the teeny weeny applique stitches Im currently flogging my heart out with at the moment!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieg

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
Has anyone tried the Kai Seam Ripper?
 :woof:
Anniegg

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
I just watched the video, and I am quite sure that if I used it the way it was demonstrated it would make holes in my fabric.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

jesster

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 13:00:11 PM »
Has anyone tried the Kai Seam Ripper?

Well, I asked that since I had ordered one and now it has arrived.  I tried it on a casing for elastic that needed replacing.  It works but you do have to be careful not to cut fabric.  The elastic casing was wrinkled, of course, so probably more challenging than a flat seam.  I pinned one end to my ironing board to create a "third hand" to be able to stretch the casing flat.  Started an opening with a regular seam ripper large enough to insert the Kai.  It was awkward at first, but with practice, it worked pretty well. 

If you have long flat seams to open in a stable fabric placed on a flat surface, it would be faster than other methods.  Not my first choice for thin fabrics or knits, for sure.  It's basically a razor blade with a plastic frame around the blade to lift the fabric apart as you go.  I wouldn't bother to replace it if lost.