The Sewing Place

Help choosing fabric please

talamasca

Help choosing fabric please
« on: May 04, 2018, 15:02:53 PM »
Hi, I have bought some lovely 100% cotton fabric to make Burda 6549 dress

However, as it's only my second make I would like to buy some cheap material to practice with (though it would be nice if I could wear it too) and I'm not sure if any of these would be suitable?

This is probably what I should choose, but really not sure on colours LOL - Cotton

Light-weight Poly

Light-weight chiffon

Cotton Drill

I started looking for just cotton but a lot of the designs weren't to my liking!

sewmuchmore

Re: Help choosing fabric please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 15:25:24 PM »
I would probably steer away from the light weight poly and the chiffon unless you are prepared to do a lining as well. The cotton drill and cotton craft print look ok and at the price you can't really afford to go wrong. I use this site a lot and have had some lovely fabrics, especially the Makeover brand, such as this which are ideal for summer dresses.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 15:48:17 PM »
Agreed.  Steer clear of the lightweights, especially the chiffon.  The drill, whilst lovely, is more suited to jackets or even coats.  I would make a skirt, but probably not a dress.  However, the fabric is cheap enough and maybe you can afford to take a punt.

talamasca

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 16:20:14 PM »
I would probably steer away from the light weight poly and the chiffon unless you are prepared to do a lining as well. The cotton drill and cotton craft print look ok and at the price you can't really afford to go wrong. I use this site a lot and have had some lovely fabrics, especially the Makeover brand, such as this which are ideal for summer dresses.

Thank you and thank you for the link....it lead me to some lovely bird egg fabric (not everyone's taste I'm sure) so I'm getting that :D :loveit:

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 16:20:54 PM »
Cotton would be best. The drill might be a little heavy and the chiffon would be too light. The poly mught be ok- cotton would be cooler in tbe summer though.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

talamasca

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 16:21:12 PM »
Agreed.  Steer clear of the lightweights, especially the chiffon.  The drill, whilst lovely, is more suited to jackets or even coats.  I would make a skirt, but probably not a dress.  However, the fabric is cheap enough and maybe you can afford to take a punt.

Thank you.  I've found some cotton in a print I like so I'm getting that  :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 17:02:27 PM »
@talamasca let us know how you get on with the dress.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 18:42:49 PM »
The pattern envelope says "cotton blends, satin, crepe"
That would mean a medium weight (P&Q weight) woven fabric.  The cotton you suggest will be fine, but the cotton drill will probably be a bit heavy. 

The poly and the chiffon will be too lightweight, and will be slippery and difficult to work with, especially if you are inexperienced.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

talamasca

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
@talamasca let us know how you get on with the dress.

I will do. I've a dressmaking lesson in 2 weeks so hope to start it then....fingers crossed

talamasca

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 19:50:29 PM »
Just wanted to add that I may well be back for help with the dress. I don't make things easy for myself as the fabric I'll be using (not the practice bird egg fabric) isn't wide enough, which I knew but I hadn't taken into account the difficulty of it being directional as well and I'm going to have to sew so carefully to ensure I match the pattern up on the pieces  :S -<