The Sewing Place

All cats are animals but not all animals are...sergers

Marniesews

All cats are animals but not all animals are...sergers
« on: May 05, 2018, 15:47:56 PM »
I recently got a used copy of Sewing Secrets from the Fashion Industry on the recommendation of Johanna Lundström and am really finding it both interesting and instructive. It's densely packed with information and lots of interesting nerdy bits including this information about serging/overlocking. I do like nerdy sewing info.  ;)  :)

I've always assumed that serging and overlocking mean the same thing but apparently not...not if we're being picky anyway - and who doesn't enjoy that? It seems that (according to Susan Huxley) strictly speaking 'serging' only relates to the 5-thread stitch which produces an overlocked edge that includes a chain stitched seam. This and the other stitches all fall into the overlocking stitch category rather than serging.

I've not heard that before...but now we know. I'm such a sucker for a technical term!  0_0

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

SkoutSews

Re: All cats are animals but not all animals are...sergers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 17:00:48 PM »
You're not alone in liking nerdy info. That's interesting. I'd always assumed that 'serging' was the American English term for 'overlocking', but it seems to be more specific than that.

So my 4 thread overlocker can never be described as a serger?

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 18:05:55 PM »
So my 4 thread overlocker can never be described as a serger?

Not if you want to be strictly accurate it would seem.

of course I don't take everything I read at face value but the 5 authors of this book (edited by Susan Huxley) all have very substantial CVs so I wouldn't argue with them either. I'm really enjoying reading it well beyond the specific areas that I got it wanting to dip into.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

elephun

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 18:10:15 PM »
Interesting! It is excellent to know that there is, according to Susan Huxley, a difference. I’d always known that stitch to be called a 5 thread safety stitch, which my machine can’t do as it’s only got 4 threads.

I generally call what I have a serger and what I do with it, serging. That is, unless I’m talking about the specific stitch I’m using, such as 4 thread overlock, or 3 thread overlock, or rolled hem. Yes, I’m in the US.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 18:29:39 PM »
I don't see anyone changing much over this new revelation, @elephun, but it's interesting to know.

I've just been hoovering with my Miele.  :D

elephun

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 18:58:03 PM »
You make me laugh!

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 06:41:53 AM »
Have I fallen into pedants corner? How did I miss this?!?! I do like a bit of pedantryism.  :loveit:
I wouldn't know a overlocker/serger if it fell on my head but I read all about them in the hope of learning. You never know, I might need one someday.  :)
I never Hoover and I too have a Miele.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »
I love my Miele, but it is so easy to talk about hoovering.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 18:25:04 PM »
Interesting!
Another one who hovers with a Miele.  Well, if I'm being honest, DH does most of it as he,s retired.  :D

Sewingforfun

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 22:29:25 PM »
That is fascinating about overlocking vs serging! I'd always thought it was just a US vs UK thing. But while we are on terminology, being American I "vacuum" with my Miele, but I reach for "a Kleenex" (not "a tissue") when I sneeze ...
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 23:59:28 PM »
According to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlock
In the United States, the term "overlocker" has largely been replaced by "serger". However, in other parts of the world such as Australia and the UK, the term "overlocker" is still in use.

ETA:  On the Craftsy website (American) they refer to the machines as sergers but the stitches they make are overlock stitches.
https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/article/what-does-this-serger-stitch-do/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 00:03:38 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
I hate it when people use the term "hoover" for a vacuum cleaner!  Me, I go "Sharking" with mine  0_0  0_0  No, I don't really say that, I actually vacuum the carpets, although I might reach for a biro or a j-cloth or the sellotape.

For all fellow pedants, have a look at this long list.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:11:19 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 16:32:12 PM »
I hate it when people use the term "hoover" for a vacuum cleaner!

Oh dear, that must be one of the most entrenched I'd have thought. Don't think I can get out of it now after all these years, I was probably in my 30's before our hoover wasn't a Hoover. Not had one since but it's there for life I suspect. I could never call a pen a biro though!  :o :S 0_0