The Sewing Place

Singer Stories Festival

rowe1311

Singer Stories Festival
« on: May 05, 2018, 20:49:03 PM »
I have just had a lovely day cycling on the canal to Clydebank with a friend and my daughter.  The festival was at the Cyldebank museum which isn't huge but a good size for me, and a nice chilled out atmosphere. https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/singerstoriesfestival

A lot of work had has been put into archiving stories local people might still remember from the Singer factory, and I drooled over a few machines.  Some of the paintwork on the machines was very pretty and delicate.  They had a nice green 319k on display and I was also impressed with a meteor which I had never heard of http://ismacs.net/wheelerandwilson/images/singer-meteor-sewing-machine-305-306-decals.jpg

They also did a ready steady sew competition.  We needed to create a sporran in an hour and it just so happened that we won.  There were only three teams and our attempt would make the great british sewing bee look like couture.  A lady with her two boys made a much better job than we did, but I think we excelled on team work. 

Overall a lovely day out, and worth the sore bum from cycling. 

SkoutSews

Re: Singer Stories Festival
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 21:07:54 PM »
Well done! A prize for the TSP team - sort of...

The festival sounds fascinating, wish I was nearer by.

Any chance of a photo of the winning sporran?

rowe1311

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
I don't seem to have a photo of it, but my daughter has taken a video of it to send to the family.  It has just been finished to be sent as a birthday present for my 5 year old niece.  I will try and get a picture before it gets posted away. 

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 19:43:21 PM »
Here are some pictures of the machines and the sporran.  There were only 3 teams competing, and I thought one of the other groups made a much more authentic looking sporran, but who am I to question the judges!!

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 19:53:51 PM »
What a great festival and what a fantastic and highly practical sporran. Your team certainly deserved to win.  :D

Great to think that so many of our sewing machines used to be made in Scotland and sad that none are now.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde