The Sewing Place

Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer

Manuela

Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:48:24 AM »
Ye all have spokenst - loud and clear. So, Florals Rule is our next competition  :)

Here are the rules - me being German, I love a bit of rules  ;)

1. You shall make a minimum of one garment - it can be anything, top, dress, skirt, jumpsuit, trousers....
2. If you want to make more than one entry, feel free to do so, but submit them in separate posts
3. Please clearly indicate what pattern you used and what, if any, changes you made
4. You don't need to use a commercial pattern, self drafted is fine
5. Sewing starts on May 11th, you can prepare & fit the pattern and cut before that date
6. Sewing finishes on June 10th, please post pictures by June 15th

Please post any questions you have here, I'll modify this post with the answers so you don't have to search the whole thread.

:vintage:  :flower: Happy Sewing  :flower:  :vintage:

Renegade Sewist

Re: Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 02:32:13 AM »
Thank you Manuela! Thinking cap going on now. One garment in one month might actually be within my abilities, especially with a week mostly to prep.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
Hmm, I might be tempted. I've got a few Liberty metre pieces that I really ought to use up. Can't keep them forever in a box. I'll have a thunk.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »

Have never joined in on one of these but this might tempt me, I just have to look out fabric to see if I have any florals in the stash, or maybe I need to go shopping  :devil:

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I have a length of red and white floral printed cotton ear marked for a blouse, but yesterday more  :fabric:  :fabric: arrived in the post.  Both pieces are floral, but the plain which I thought hoped would go with them doesn't  :fish: so more thought needed.  I might manage one entry, I might manage two or even three. -<
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:44:31 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »
  I might manage one entry, I might manage two or even three. -<

That's the spirit  :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 18:34:33 PM »
hmmm I did some stash tidying yesterday and there is much deliciousness...but not anything much that'sfloral. ..and NO MORE is being bought until it all gets reduced dramatically.
So
Time to get creative...or just plain crazy.
I'm loving these Brenne crazy baggy trousers right now, maybe I should make some in the length of violently tropical cotton I bought two years ago...Blogged here and here.
Is the world ready for a Fairy with an enormously baggy tropical bum?

Maybe I could get that enormous butterfly right on my hooha? I'm very inspired by this fabulous video right now...
Janelle Monae, PYNK
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 19:08:44 PM »
The baggy trouser could be good in the tropical cotton imo.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 19:33:35 PM »

Yes, yes and thrice yes!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 03:29:41 AM »
I just purchased these two fabrics from EOS and was planning to make a sleeveless SA Maisie Designer Dress with the knit for the bodice and the floral for the skirt.  They even showed up on the  "possible coordinates" side bar for each other.  I might change my mind and go with a black knit for the top instead.

tropical floral stretch cotton
rose petal pink rayon knit

Kwaaked

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 06:18:15 AM »
@DementedFairy that is awesome.  What is even more hilarious, is that I had pulled the pattern for the skirt for this and then found a fabric that is reminiscent, but far, far less fantastic then this.  Hideous in fact.  So bad, I didn't even buy it, it came in a free mystery bundle...but too good of fabric to just toss but so ugly no one wants it.  And since I've been harping on my kid that you use what you get, and that you just don't throw things out...I can't exactly do it with this either.  (And I am swimming in quilt blocks so I don't need to use it for that, either.)

Now if I can get inspired by a pattern it'd be great.

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »
I’m in....

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »

Go on, embrace your inner art teacher. 0_0

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »
I just purchased these two fabrics from EOS and was planning to make a sleeveless SA Maisie Designer Dress with the knit for the bodice and the floral for the skirt.  They even showed up on the  "possible coordinates" side bar for each other.  I might change my mind and go with a black knit for the top instead.

tropical floral stretch cotton
rose petal pink rayon knit

I had my eye on that EmmaOneSock fabric too, it's gorgeous....

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
So... floral... does it have to be "in yer face" flowers, or can subtle be used?  Ok, maybe it's not subtle, but it's subtley floral...