The Sewing Place

Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer

BrendaP

Re: Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »
I think A-line too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2018, 15:25:53 PM »
Gigantic floral skirt, blogged here
Teaser
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2018, 16:30:11 PM »
Fantastic DF and so 1970s. Now all you need is a pair of gigantic platform soles. Don't tell me you've got some!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2018, 17:33:44 PM »
Unfortunately not!  Just some stilt heeled platform boots that I can't stand up in any more! Hmmm, off I go to ebay....
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2018, 18:58:59 PM »
That's lovely, just don't go out in a strong wind in it  :P

DementedFairy

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2018, 19:01:40 PM »
lol it was pretty windy when we went out...there's so much fabric it wasn't an issue...I think the rectangular panels help with that.
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2018, 21:06:35 PM »
@Tamnymore and @DementedFairy: a pair of Terence de Havilland's would be in order. 0_0

Manuela

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »
@DementedFairy I hope you'll put up an entry post with several pictures...
  :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2018, 16:49:08 PM »
Have a floral tee in progress, should be able to finish and post within timeframe.
(And an animal print one made.... but that doesn't fit anywhere except in my wardrobe!)

Jane

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2018, 19:56:32 PM »
:flower: Ok - so here goes. This is Fran and Jane's entry. 

The pattern was McCalls M7390 from a recent Love Sewing Magazine. I decided to make B but with sleeves from C.

:pattern:  8) Needed some pattern re-grading to give me more on the hips and the arms (as you do), so Fran did her grading tricks using the big french curve thingy I got her for Christmas moons ago. 

:fabric: The fabric came from C&H Fabrics in Tunbridge Wells and it's a cotton with some sort of stretch so it must have elastane in it. (Really helped with the ease for the sleeves!) 

:cake:  :snip: We started this with the Royal Wedding in the background, so we had lots of tooing and froing to ooh and ahh at the dresses in between grading and cutting out and pinning, etc. 

:S Fran whizzed all the main sections up with her overlocker and I did the neckline and set in the sleeves which took as long as doing all the rest. 

So I finished it last night and here is the result!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 22:08:59 PM by Jane »
Jane (I'll get Fran to sew it)

Acorn

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2018, 20:26:39 PM »
I have that pattern, and am intending to make exactly that combination - B with the sleeves from C.

I hope mine turns out as nicely as yours, because that is really lovely.   :D   :flower:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2018, 22:02:37 PM »
That looks lovely  0_0

Lachica

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2018, 22:50:48 PM »
Smashing. It fits you well.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2018, 23:53:38 PM »
@Francesca is there any chance you could insert the attached pictures into the text? Then I can copy and paste your entry into the voting thread. Otherwise I'd have to host the pictures elsewhere and link them.

beepbeepsew

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2018, 13:06:12 PM »
Hello everyone, I hope you don't mind me taking part. I've read through the thread and you all have done lovely work, can't wait til the deadline so that I can enjoy all the pretties.

I've only just joined the forum and happened to be making a floral top - so this is my entry.

The fabric is a rayon that I purchased from ebay, it was described as having a light cotton voile feel and it does - but it also has a slight seersucker texture that I like.

I was originally making from an old new look pattern but was having to hack it a bit and the fitting was frustrating me.  So I decided to make Deer and Doe's Datura Blouse instead!

Constructionwise, I made the pattern up exactly as it was except I sewed the side seams at 1cm instead of 1.5 because I was worried it would be too small despite making it in the largest size  :S 

Front

Handmade label with the date

Pretty bias binding! (surplus quilting cotton)

Back

It is a tight fight but wearable. I am in the process of making myself smaller though so I'm hoping it won't be a problem for long. Overall, I love it - I would have bought it in a shop in a heartbeat.  Now I'm planning all the other Datura Blouses that I want to make.

Thanks for looking :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 20:12:12 PM by beepbeepsew »