The Sewing Place

Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer

fajita

Re: Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 17:08:59 PM »
Just as DF said. Two fabric panels sewn in long tram lines and top surface cut between tracks. Topped with curvy applique.

Hoping to start tomorrow. I've traced the pattern off.

wrenkins

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 17:38:10 PM »
@Fajita that's the fabric @Ploshkin used for her Japanese sewalong entry last year. I love it...that's why I remember it I suppose.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 17:41:04 PM »
I thought it looked familiar.

Ploshkin

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 20:20:06 PM »
Yes, you're right Wrenkins - it is.  It was lovely fabric to sew.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 20:56:19 PM »
*Puts hand up*

Please, Miss, I've finished Miss  0_0

Do I just put pics and a bit of waffle interesting information about it in one post on here?

Manuela

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 22:05:47 PM »
*Puts hand up*

Please, Miss, I've finished Miss  0_0

Do I just put pics and a bit of waffle interesting information about it in one post on here?

Yes, I copy and paste theses for the voting post.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
My first bodge offering for this competition - this is possibly an entry so no-on else has to come last  0_0

This is not from a pattern I just copied a rtw top, altering the armholes as they were very, very wide and needed something underneath, so now this can be worn on it's own.

As I only had a short piece of this fabric, around a metre, there had to be a "compromise" - no-one will notice the back fabric is the other way up to the front, not by the time they've walked all that way round me to get there.

I also never gave pattern matching a thought as I was thinking the pattern was too small to notice - wrong!  I could have cheated and not included a pic of the back - but thought I'd give you all a laugh.

The neck and armholes are faced with bias binding, which has gone on reasonably well.  It also had to have pockets, I thought about fancy ones, but decided plain was much better with this fabric.

Despite the bodges, I really like this top, it will get worn lots - when the sun comes out again.

Haha, I've just noticed the dust on the top of the fire...  0_0  :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:20:38 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Efemera

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
I like that shape... what pattern is it?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
I like that shape... what pattern is it?
Oops, forgot to mention that, I'll edit the post - it's not a pattern, I just copied a rtw top, altering the armholes as they were very very wide and needed something underneath, so now this can be worn on it's own.

BrendaP

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
My black, yellow and grey scuba is destined to be a hoodie jacket.  New Look 6142

The jacket is finished. :flower:

The sizing turned out to be quite generous, which is maybe why I think it should be a rain mac rather than just a jacket;  I'm still pondering whether to use spray-on or wash-in water repellant.

It all went together quite well but I used four machines to do it.  Main seams with the overlocker, pocket outlines and hems with the coverstitcher, lightening bolt zig-zag on the Husqvarna for the hood CB seam (then coverstitched) and a 201 for the hood cord 'buttonholes', zip and neckline tape.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »
Wow @Bodgeitandscarper and @BrendaP, that's really impressive :flower:

DementedFairy

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 17:08:50 PM »
I have found that I have very few florals in stash.  A few remnants, that one crazy tropical lawn, and some appliques.  Who knows what will transpire?
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 18:25:48 PM »
@Fajita I've made Vogue 9271 8n black linen and I thought it was very effective. I'll post a pic on Wednesday. It is very loose and if I make it again I'll go down a size. I didn't rip the fabric though as it was striped. I used tartan fabric for the thin strip appliques
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 18:59:42 PM »
@Tamnymore, that's good to hear. Loose is always better than tight  ;)

But I might have to withdraw from this comp for the time being. My machine is being a bit of a bugger. Yesterday it refused to complete buttonholes, and today it's just given up on its feed dogs. Not feeding my fabric through at all.
I'm not sure when I can get to Bristol to put it in for a service.  Watch this space.

Best I can do is show you what I've done so far.  Side one awaiting buttonholes and side two awaiting an energetic feed dog.

Sorry, @Manuela , if I do get the machine sorted, I'll be back!

Holly Berry

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 23:17:13 PM »
@Fajita Apologies if I’m teaching my granny to suck eggs and don’t know if your machine is computerised or manual, but a friend had similar problems with her feed dogs after sewing buttonholes. When I looked the straight stitch hadn’t engaged properly after switching between zigzag/buttonhole and straight stitch.
Procrastination get behind me