The Sewing Place

Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer

Samantha

Re: Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
Here's my pattern and fabric

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have decided to line it for two reasons:
1) apparently it will make it hang better (although does that work with a pleated skirt?)
2) to use the lining as a fit checker.

BrendaP

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2018, 16:32:32 PM »
Oooooh! I like that fabric,  :fabric:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2018, 16:55:50 PM »
Butterick 6217 - bought from Sewmuchmore a few weeks ago and some red and white floral fabric bought from Doughty's when the roadshow came to Gravesend last month.

I made view C with the sleeves from view B, though as they were those sleeves just looked baggy so instead of blind hemming them  (the same as the lower hem) I did a regular straight stitch to make a casing of the hem and threaded narrow elastic; just tight enough to make it look like a proper puff sleeve.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

DementedFairy

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2018, 17:20:17 PM »
I've matched a pattern to my fabric, but that's all so far
in my blog post here
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2018, 17:32:17 PM »
Scraps:  well my dears, so MANY scraps!  I might do some crazy piecing, and see what transpires…

Cut out your pattern from a base fabric (old sheet or whatever) and foundation piece/crazy patch your scraps on top of it, then make up the garment.

Make sure you cut any notches outwards (the way I was taught and do anyway) because little inward snips will surely surely come just where two patches join and will be  :devil:  :devil: to locate.  Also choose a pattern that needs a fairly substantial fabric - it won't be light and floaty!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2018, 19:31:59 PM »
I've now got my dandelions - but not sure what to make with them, don't want to waste them on a new untested pattern!  They are kinda of thicker than I thought they would be, but still thin really.

That beige-y one is a much better colour in real life, and will mix with the light grey and the light blue, so I'm really hoping to use all three together.  The other two will be used for something else - not sure what yet.

Stitches

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
Also late to the party got some fabric yesterday will be doing a self drafted pattern for skirt and top.
which I can start tomorrow at our sewing day

Efemera

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
Some more floral pics.
The ditsy print Claiborne top..tiny rolled machined hem on the sleeves, much better than a regular hem.
Hey June Santa Fe top with modified sleeve, it’s suppose to be a dolman sleeve but that’s just not flattering on me so I scooped out the armscye and shortened the shoulder length. The fabric is Art Gallery, it’s 95 cotton and 5 Lycra, it’s quite thick and spongy. Single fold bindings done on the coverstitch

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 21:14:55 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2018, 14:42:54 PM »
Some more floral pics.
The ditsy print Claiborne top..tiny rolled machined hem on the sleeves, much better than a regular hem.
Hey June Santa Fe top with modified sleeve, it’s suppose to be a dolman sleeve but that’s just not flattering on me so I scooped out the armscye and shortened the shoulder length. The fabric is Art Gallery, it’s 95 cotton and 5 Lycra, it’s quite thick and spongy. Single fold bindings done on the coverstitch
@Efemera, you have to help me here - are those more pictures for your first entry, or is this your second entry to the competition?
Please bear with me, I need to have things organised for the voting thread later on.

Efemera

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2018, 16:06:51 PM »
It’s both.. first picture goes with first entry and the two T-shirt pictures is a second entry.as far as I know there’s no way of adding pictures to an existing post.

Efemera

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2018, 16:17:01 PM »
You learn something new every day!..thanks

Manuela

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2018, 23:24:51 PM »
Thank you @Efemera , all sorted now  :)

Manuela

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2018, 00:28:09 AM »
I wouldn't mind a joint entry, there is a first time for everything  :)

Pearl

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:56 AM »
That looks great, @Francesca .  Really suits you, @Jane .  Well done, both.

Efemera

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
ThTs a really nice pattern... what is it?