The Sewing Place

Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer

BrendaP

Re: Florals Rule - get ready for Spring & Summer
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
It's not dissimilar to the Ginger and George top discussed in this thread, but without the extra layer at the back.  It looks to be better drafted to get a proper fit on woven fabric rather than relying on stretchy fabric as is the case with the G&G one.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
Very nice - I love the way those stripes work.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:56 AM »
Better pic of my fabric.

Waiting on trim to come in, working on the pattern tomorrow. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Yikes, that was way too big, hope this is better.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:15:54 AM by Kwaaked »

fajita

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2018, 13:02:53 PM »
I've been having trouble with my collar, so decided to backtrack to see why.
I only missed a bit in my tracing, so have a convex instead of concave back neck piece. Idiots r us!

Efemera

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2018, 13:16:30 PM »
Easy done... :S

wrenkins

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2018, 13:19:02 PM »
Could've been worse. Could've cut it off instead of leaving it.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2018, 13:40:25 PM »
Entry number 2 finished  0_0
It's made from Butterick 6138, but without the collar and not using the front/neck facing, the front edge is turned back and top stitched, and the neck and armholes are faced with bias binding.  The fabric is muslin/double gauze from myfabrics.co.uk.
I've made this before and shortened at across at the armholes and just below, but this time took it up yet another inch at the armholes, which made them a bit higher and a better fit.  I also altered the back lower hem piece to make it a bit longer so it didn't go up too high at one point. 
The seams are all top stitched, which, with this wrinkley fabric, stretched them a bit, but a good steam sorted that out.
Taking the pics outside shows the colours much much better.  It was a bit too breezy for the first pic, but then found a sheltered corner of the garden - and no, I hadn't combed my hair  :|

Looking back at these pics, next time I will alter the shaping at the side seams, as, having shortened it, it's flaring out from too high up really.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 23:52:42 PM by Manuela »

BrendaP

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2018, 18:36:21 PM »
It looks good.  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2018, 20:16:54 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Your version of the pattern is so much better than the original. I’ve had this pattern for ages, but never liked the collar. Better without.
Procrastination get behind me

fajita

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2018, 22:33:04 PM »
Well I've put the collar on. All it needs now is buttons and buttonholes. I think I'll leave those till I get my main machine back.

I'm not sure I'll ever wear this item. The decorative piece makes one half much heavier than the other.

Tamnymore

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2018, 22:53:07 PM »
That's fab @Fajita . I hope you do wear it. Must dig out my version for a photo.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2018, 22:55:13 PM »
I'd love to see a pic of yours, @Tamnymore

Samantha

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
I'm making slow progress!

The patterned isn't lined but I want to line it. How would you line a pleated skirt - pleat the lining too? A line? Gathered?

I don't want to add too much bulk around my hips!

This is the pattern

wrenkins

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »
I would guess A-line but I know nothing. I just imagine it would be neater.
I'm doing gathered slips for under flimsy things but I'm going to dart bits out to take away some of the fullness around the waist.
Is any of that even possible? I'll let you know.
I'm also doing open bits at the side seams for striding out. I don't see you having that problem with that pattern.

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Samantha

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »
Thanks @wrenkins that was my thought too, just wanted to get a second option or two in case there's a reason not to do it A line!