The Sewing Place

Look what I did with my scraps! (garment, accessories, quilts) competition

Manuela

According to the original vote, this is the next competition:

:vintage: Look what I did with my scraps!  :vintage:
This can be anything from garments, soft furnishings, accessories to quilts - be creative. Dark siders are very welcome  :drink:

And, of course there are a few rules:

1. Please post a picture of you pile (or piles  :devil:) of scraps before you start and/or include it in your submission post
2. You can have more than one entry, just submit them in separate posts
3. Sewing starts on May 11th and ends on June 10th - you can plan and prepare before the starting date
4. Please put your submission post with pictures up here by June 15th

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'll put the answers up in this post, so they're all at the same place and you don't need to search the whole thread.

Sources tell me that some of you are basically drowning in scraps :fabric: so let's do something about it  :snip:

Question No 1:
How big/small constitutes scrap?
1. It should be leftover from previous project(s)
2. Each piece must be half a fat quarter or less (a fat quarter measuring 18" x 22" or 46cm x 56cm) for piece and quilt or less than a whole fat quarter for garments.

Question No 2:
If you’ve got several scraps of the same fabric, each of which is less than the given size, can you use them all in a project or only one of them?
You can use them all, but please post pictures of them here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 22:02:45 PM by Manuela »

Renegade Sewist

1. Please post a picture of you pile (or piles  :devil:) of scraps before you start and/or include it in your submission post

Sources tell me that some of you are basically drowning in scraps :fabric: so let's do something about it  :snip:

You are evil Manuela. Very evil.

You know some of us have scrap collections sorted by size. Or so I've heard....not me of course. cough.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

jen

Manuela

Good question:
1. It should be leftover from previous project(s)
2. Each piece must be half a fat quarter or less (a fat quarter measuring 18" x 22" or 46cm x 56cm)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:07:19 AM by Manuela »

Bodgeitandscarper

Hmm, will have to go and measure my scraps, I think my idea of scraps is a lot bigger than yours!  I only keep them if they are a useful size , but not enough for a whole garment.

Manuela

Hmm, will have to go and measure my scraps, I think my idea of scraps is a lot bigger than yours!  I only keep them if they are a useful size , but not enough for a whole garment.

I'm open for negotiations when it comes to scrappy scraps leftover from garment making. post a picture with a ruler next to it and we'll see  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

I'm open for negotiations when it comes to scrappy scraps leftover from garment making. post a picture with a ruler next to it and we'll see  :)
Thank you  :)

When (and indeed if!) I get round to it, I'll post for you to judge.

BrendaP

P&Q scraps can be quite tiny, perhaps only 4" x 4" but garment making scraps are much bigger.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

P&Q scraps can be quite tiny, perhaps only 4" x 4" but garment making scraps are much bigger.

I just took that into consideration.
Less than half a fat quarter for P&Q and less than a whole fat quarter for garments.
When in doubt, please post pictures with a ruler next to it  :)

Elnnina

Oh Manuela where did you find that adorable cat from - she is such an industrious little cat as well, she will win the contest hands down!

sewmuchmore

I was looking forward to this but i don't quilt and any scrap less than a fat quarter tend to go into the charity bag for shredding. All my scraps left over from other projects tend to be at least 1/2 metre due to the fact you often have to buy fabric in full metres when you need less. So i will have to pass up on this.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

jen

Sorry to be a pernickety so and so, but if you’ve got several scraps of the same fabric, each of which is less than the given size, can you use them all in a project or only one of them?

Bodgeitandscarper

I was looking forward to this but i don't quilt and any scrap less than a fat quarter tend to go into the charity bag for shredding. All my scraps left over from other projects tend to be at least 1/2 metre due to the fact you often have to buy fabric in full metres when you need less. So i will have to pass up on this.
I think I'm the same, anything less than 1/2 a yard doesn't get kept - but I've not had chance to look yet.

DementedFairy

I have bags and bags and bags and... I think you get the picture.  Hmmmm
C'est moi!

Lowena

I might have to pass too @Manuela as i don't tend to keep anything less than a fat quarter  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D