The Sewing Place

Wedding guest outfit advice ... but there's a catch.

datcat23

Wedding guest outfit advice ... but there's a catch.
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
Wonderful brains trust, I need your advice on the choice of an outfit for a wedding I have been invited to. 

The catch ..... the wedding is for an Australian friend of my husband, and his wife-to-be is from the Phillipines.  The wedding is being held in Iloilo City, in the Phillipines.  The church is a fantastic, incredibly decorative old church, and the reception is at a very fancy upmarket hotel.  Its at the end of the year (December 31), so gonna be nice and hot.

The invitation doesn't stipulate if its formal or semi-formal, although I figure with the fancy church, it might need to be reasonably formal.  Its an early afternoon wedding, but an evening reception.

So I am needing a semi-formal to formal outfit for the wedding, and possibly another outfit for the reception.  I would love some ideas on what might be expected, and what might be appropriate for the time of year.   And of course, what will be suitable for a short, tubby woman in her late 40's. 

Looking forward to reading some of what I know will be great suggestions. 

DementedFairy

Re: Wedding guest outfit advice ... but there's a catch.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Sounds fab
I would go for a nice, loose maxi dress in a cotton/linen blend [there's a great one on eBay right now, delivers from CHina]
cotton linen blend
My great favourite of course is this one

which forgives all ills and is soooooo pretty to wear.  I wear mine usually over a short sleeved top, but it would also look great with a light shawl or kimono jacket to cover up a bit if you prefer
It's brilliant because it FEELS like a sack but looks flattering [don't forget we are actually similar in size and height]
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
If it's a church wedding then a hat will be the done thing, and nothing too revealing or strapless.

Assuming a warm climate I would go for bright cheerful colours in a floaty fabric, topped with a light jacket for the church.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 19:13:38 PM »
The Filipinos are Catholic, so don't go for a style that will show too much flesh in church.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
I would go for something in linen or cotton-linen.

Maybe a dress with some sort of fun handkerchief hem, and then a lightweight unlined jacket or bolero?

Both in block coloured linen?