The Sewing Place

Wedding guest outfit advice ... but there's a catch.

datcat23

Wedding guest outfit advice ... but there's a catch.
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
Wonderful brains trust, I need your advice on the choice of an outfit for a wedding I have been invited to. 

The catch ..... the wedding is for an Australian friend of my husband, and his wife-to-be is from the Phillipines.  The wedding is being held in Iloilo City, in the Phillipines.  The church is a fantastic, incredibly decorative old church, and the reception is at a very fancy upmarket hotel.  Its at the end of the year (December 31), so gonna be nice and hot.

The invitation doesn't stipulate if its formal or semi-formal, although I figure with the fancy church, it might need to be reasonably formal.  Its an early afternoon wedding, but an evening reception.

So I am needing a semi-formal to formal outfit for the wedding, and possibly another outfit for the reception.  I would love some ideas on what might be expected, and what might be appropriate for the time of year.   And of course, what will be suitable for a short, tubby woman in her late 40's. 

Looking forward to reading some of what I know will be great suggestions. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

DementedFairy

Re: Wedding guest outfit advice ... but there's a catch.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Sounds fab
I would go for a nice, loose maxi dress in a cotton/linen blend [there's a great one on eBay right now, delivers from CHina]
cotton linen blend
My great favourite of course is this one

which forgives all ills and is soooooo pretty to wear.  I wear mine usually over a short sleeved top, but it would also look great with a light shawl or kimono jacket to cover up a bit if you prefer
It's brilliant because it FEELS like a sack but looks flattering [don't forget we are actually similar in size and height]
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
If it's a church wedding then a hat will be the done thing, and nothing too revealing or strapless.

Assuming a warm climate I would go for bright cheerful colours in a floaty fabric, topped with a light jacket for the church.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 19:13:38 PM »
The Filipinos are Catholic, so don't go for a style that will show too much flesh in church.

datcat23

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »
I am thinking a linen outfit or two will be necessary.  I am looking at the wider implications of holiday wardrobe too, stuff to wear sightseeing, stuff thats quick and easy to pack, not too fussy.   Will give some serious thought to the StyleArc dress. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:43 AM »
Which StyleArc dress?
For ease of wearing, the Twiggy is nice and good for apple shapes
The Toni is popular but I haven't made a version that works on me yet
You could go the palazzo trousers and tunic look, also in linen blends- I absolutely LOVE the Platt  V1415- the bias tunic would be lovely in linen

C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 21:14:24 PM »
Consider Japanese double gauze - cool, doesn't really crease and doesn't need lining.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !