The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

jen

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 20:54:08 PM »
Glad I wasn’t the only one getting confused in the over under bit. So, any one of the three groups could have 2 dresses and a jacket or cardi, or trousers and a couple of tops, or a skirt and a couple of tops, and two of the three groups must mix and match, as must the wild card, and a total of three of the ten garments can already be in your wardrobe either as rtw or already sewn. Is that it?
Or two put it another way, a theme and palette goes through seven of the garments, but not necessarily through the three which are in a group on their own.

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 21:17:10 PM »
Glad I wasn’t the only one getting confused in the over under bit. So, any one of the three groups could have 2 dresses and a jacket or cardi, or trousers and a couple of tops, or a skirt and a couple of tops, and two of the three groups must mix and match, as must the wild card, and a total of three of the ten garments can already be in your wardrobe either as rtw or already sewn. Is that it?
Or two put it another way, a theme and palette goes through seven of the garments, but not necessarily through the three which are in a group on their own.

@jen, yes you got it right...
- 1 RTW and two previously sewn or 3 previously sewn garments
- any or all of the groups can have 2 dresses and a cardy/jacket/coat/cape if that is what you wear

elephun

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »
Sounds fun, and the rules don't seem so restrictive. Maybe I'm getting more passive as the years go by? Doubtful.  :devil:

I started and finished my Stitcher's Guild SWAP early. I could probably use another plan to sew to since I've had a bit of a break. I'll see what I come up with. I guess I'll start an individual thread since I haven't done that yet.

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
'kind of plan' I like that.  In this instance I think I can make whatever I want and see if I can assemble it according to the rules in due course...I'd have to impose more rules for myself anyway, preferably on colour to make sure it does coordinate
C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »
I'm thinking of going for a red/blue colour palette (with plenty of black) as that's what I seem to wear the most of anyway. I've got some lovely red, blue and white raw silk check that I need to make something from, that would be perfect to "tie" everything together as it has a bit of all the colours in it.
Planning is fun, right...?
I didn't mention colours, because I don't want people to feel restricted. What looks great to one person might look horrid to another. I consider fuchsia pink as a neutral for example and have successfully combined it with orange  ;)  It's certainly not everybody's cup of tea, but it works for me...

Saashka

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 20:54:18 PM »
Thank you, Manuela! Now I need to figure out some kind of a plan.

jen

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 07:59:43 AM »
I’m dithering over colours. The safe option would be to base it round one of black, grey, navy, fawn, brown, or white. I do love the idea of treating a vibrant colour as a neutral and combining it with other vibrant colours Manuela, orange and fuschia look terrific. I’ve used fuschia but don’t think I can use it massively or close to my face. The last time I used it as an accent on khaki. One key limiter on colour is accessorising, especially shoes and bags. I try to keep in mind what I already have. Shoes can be especially difficult, trying to match style and colour. If I make a winter dress whether it works with one of my two pairs of boots is a decider on colour.

Manuela

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 09:13:58 AM »
@jen, how a out adding turquoise or teal to your neutrals?

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 09:58:37 AM »
@jen, how a out adding turquoise or teal to your neutrals?

A couple of the peeps who finished this year's SWAP used teal, combining it with several other basics very successfully.  What a lot of us did, was to select some images which gave us a colour palette already used by an artist.  Mine were these if you recall

This helped me maintain focus while choosing

and the final collection
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 16:29:53 PM »
Turquoise or teal would be a possible in that I have a suit made ages ago, which I find too ‘good’ to throw out, but which lacks friends. It’s a tweed with turquoise, mustard and a brownish flecks in it. OTH I don’t have a stack of fabric that fits with it. I’ll mull this over.

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 16:50:21 PM »
I'm getting some inspiration- as the colour images worked for me last time, how about these?

Green and blue, linked with black and white...to make and wear through this summer
C'est moi!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 22:07:57 PM »
Very late to the party and once sewing starts I am away until after the BH weekend, however I could start thinking as I love wardrobe sewing!!
 :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 01:35:03 AM »
Very late to the party and once sewing starts I am away until after the BH weekend, however I could start thinking as I love wardrobe sewing!!
 :D

Ruthie, the party just started. Might I add, Yay!!! Ruthie's here. Besides, you are such an excellent and might I add quick Sewist you could start about October 1st and be done in time. Three previously sewn items-you've got those nailed.  :toast:

I'm giving this a good think after I finish up a couple of projects. The time frame suits me quite well. I have too many plenty of patterns, an overflowing adequate fabric archive, time, etc. Also an aching back and neck but we can work around those right? For the SWAKOP cause and all.

@Manuela should we ruminate about our plans here, start a Dear Diary thread or plop the info somewhere else?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 02:43:48 AM »
@Renegade Sewist, you can do either, have a thread in the member's diary section, post here, or both. The initial/updated plans and final submissions need to be posted here though.

@SewRuthieSews, welcome to the party  :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »

@Manuela should we ruminate about our plans here, start a Dear Diary thread or plop the info somewhere else?

I would think that separate diaries would be more readable, mentioning SWAKOP in the title, but encouraging comments to be made here for conversation p[urposes.  It's how it's done on Stitcher's Guild...no one but the diarist writes in their diary thread, chat in the main one.  How does that sound?
C'est moi!