The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

SewRuthieSews

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »
Kwaaked sorry to hear about your FIL Sometimes life wins over sewing.

I'm still plugging away with my burgundy colourway. Here's my latest (and I think last) top

its from Threadcount 1502 which came with a sewing magazine (I think 'Love Sewing') but also looks a lot like McCall's 7249 (I think a rebrand of the pattern).

I now need some bottoms and have a Vogue skirt planned, plus some burgundy faux leather trousers/culottes and some dark burgundy trousers. There's loads of time left yet!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:13:16 AM by SewRuthieSews »

ambro0

« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
@Kwaaked

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Your sewing will wait for you to come back......
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

Nevis5

« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
@Kwaaked , I'm sorry too to hear about your FIL.  You must be exhausted, take time for yourself when you can.  Sewing will always be there xx

@SewRuthieSews , that is such a lovely top.  It would look terrible on me, luckily for you  :devil: but I think it's my favourite out of all those you've made recently.

Lachica

« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2018, 13:12:06 PM »
@SewRuthieSews I really like that top. I have the pattern but am always suspicious if line drawings v photos. Having seen that it works I'll put it on the 'to do' list.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

renita

« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2018, 00:22:41 AM »
@Kwaaked, wishing you all the best with your FIL.

@Francesca keep powering on - you're taking on wonderfully challenging styles and fabrics and the results will be worth the wait.

@Manuela, quick question about the photos required for our entries - what do we do there - how many of the combinations do I need to photograph?   I'm guessing it would be better to see them on, rather than just photographing them on the floor as I've been doing for my plan page.   

Also, just how far over the 10 garment limit is acceptable?

I remember you mentioned 11 or 12 early on, but after 8 days of continual rain and some serious crisis sewing, I'm now well over the line and have at least one more set - since I last posted I've made 4 more tops, 1 dress (that was supposed to be a top, but at mid-calf length is a bit long and I don't have the heart to chop it off) and 2 pairs of jeans (almost, still to do the hems and final topstitching/buttonhole/button on the waistband of the second pair). 

It's been a wonderful sewing opportunity, but I'm hoping that the rain will clear shortly so I can get on with other things in my life... don't care about the housework, but I'll run out of food if I don't stop sewing soon...

Manuela

« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2018, 02:09:19 AM »

@Manuela, quick question about the photos required for our entries - what do we do there - how many of the combinations do I need to photograph?   I'm guessing it would be better to see them on, rather than just photographing them on the floor as I've been doing for my plan page.   

Also, just how far over the 10 garment limit is acceptable?

I remember you mentioned 11 or 12 early on, but after 8 days of continual rain and some serious crisis sewing, I'm now well over the line and have at least one more set - since I last posted I've made 4 more tops, 1 dress (that was supposed to be a top, but at mid-calf length is a bit long and I don't have the heart to chop it off) and 2 pairs of jeans (almost, still to do the hems and final topstitching/buttonhole/button on the waistband of the second pair). 

It's been a wonderful sewing opportunity, but I'm hoping that the rain will clear shortly so I can get on with other things in my life... don't care about the housework, but I'll run out of food if I don't stop sewing soon...

My, you have been productive.  :D. I’d say limit it to 12 and chose wisely what you want to include. I leave the number of pictures up to you. Ideally would be worn or on a dressform for others to have an idea how the pieces look like together. Composite images are ok and please include one image that shows all garments (on a rack is fine for that)

renita

« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2018, 07:22:16 AM »
Thanks @Manuela - I think the productivity has come to an end now.  I'll juggle things around and see what looks best, then start working on photos, including the group shot.

warpjr1965

« Reply #217 on: October 18, 2018, 14:31:23 PM »
Hi all, have not been present on this board since summer, too many other things to attend to!

Kwaaked, so sorry about your FIL. Be sure to take care of yourself.

I see that SWAKOP has been extended?  This is fabulous news!  I am participating in many other up coming challenges, and I am going to try to merge them all if I can. I have hit a space where I can do some concentrated sewing, so perhaps I can finish with the new deadline.
Wendy

Kwaaked

« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2018, 19:46:15 PM »
@renita awesome!  Can't wait!

Thanks everyone on my FIL.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2018, 22:24:22 PM »
Yay I'm really excited about my burgundy pieces and should be able to finish in the time frame.
I need bottoms but am sewing a cardigan, so perhaps not the best move!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »
Just reminding myself of the original timelines (which I'm using for my Burgundy collection)
Other than that sewing starts on May 15 and ends on October 31st. Pictures should be up by November 5th.
OK so a week and 4 days to finish, then another 4 days over a weekend to get the photos up. Hopefully that's doable in some form.

The cardigan is finished but it was dark by the time it was complete yesterday, so hopefully a picture today when its a bit lighter.
Burgundy skirt was an A line shape in a knit and turned out to be hugely unflattering. Various attempts at a save did not improve matters.  I do like to sew all the pieces in the collection myself and not include any RTW. However I may need to use some previously sewn pieces.
You are allowed to include 1 RTW garment and 2 previously made garments (or, if you're like me and have hardly any RTW garments, 3 previously made garments).

I am resisting the distraction which is wanting to take the reasonably sized knit scraps and make a patchwork top. As I have enough tops already and it will take a long time for the design and piecing which is better spent making bottoms!

DementedFairy

« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
I'm not sure about any deadlines right now, but I'm really enjoying wearing the collection I currently have, so it's a win in any case! 
I abandoned the Okistyle jacket, it just wouldn't have worked, but the fabric is cut out for another Style Arc pattern, I just need to make a decision on how to decoratively clean finish the insides of an unlined jacket and I'm sure it will go together speedily.
It could still all work....
C'est moi!

renita

« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »
Here goes nothing...

Let me present my collection for spring/summer 2018.  Sorry this is so long.  Not sure how much detail I'm supposed to supply... skip to the pictures if you don't need the details.  :D

Set 1:
B1: Denim jeans
Pattern: these are my own design, based on a mash-up of my pants block and a favourite pair of RTW jeans that currently have too much negative ease built in.
Fabric: this is a pretty special fabric for me - it is one of the last pieces of denim I produced back in my time as a denim developer/technician (about 10 years ago...).  Heavyweight, 100% cotton, with an overdyed finish (pale gold colour over the indigo).  Lining on band and pockets is the same paisley I've previously used for my hat.

T1a: 3/4 length sleeve tee
Pattern: My own draft based on my set-in long sleeve tee, with the neckline widened and deepened to match the neckline of the dress (WC2) and the sleeves shortened to 3/4 length, with cuffs added.
Fabric: 100% cotton jersey, natural colour, almost seedy.

T1b: Linen knit boxy tee
Pattern: My own - just two rectangles really with one longer than the other, with sloping shoulders for better fit. Binding folded over an trimmed at neckline.
Fabric:  100% linen, pigment dyed khaki, purchased from Cleggs in Melbourne several years ago.  I've eked out all I could from this piece and now have 3 garments from it (one didn't make it through to the collection).

Set 2:
B2: Linen pull-on trousers
Pattern: based on Vogue 2064, with my own fit adjustments and without the darts, so I can get them over my hips.
Fabric: 100% linen, two-tone (brown warp, cream weft)

T2a: Gold spotted poly woven singlet
Pattern: my own, this was a test garment for fit, based on my loose knit singlet pattern.  Worked well, but found it needed a small dart at the armhole.  Have worn it several times already - it's a lovely happy colour.
Fabric: remnant - I think it's a polyester lining fabric.

T2b: Textured natural cotton shell
Pattern: same as above, with the dart moved to the side seam and eased into the back.
Fabrics: 100% cotton.  The outer has a great diamond weave pattern and hasn't been bleached so still has the seedy look of natural cotton.  Inner is a cotton lawn (the only 'purchased' fabric for the collection)

Set 3:
B3: Khaki canvas trousers
Pattern: same as the jeans, even down to the back pocket 'swirls'.  Because this fabric is lighter, I made them a slightly looser fit.
Fabric: 100% cotton, canvas weave.  Lining same as jeans.

T3a: Salmon jersey wide-necked raglan tee
Pattern: my own, based on a RTW tee I had years ago.  Not normally a fan of raglan sleeves, but I like the wide-neck and the wide band on this one.
Fabric: Cotton/lycra jersey

T3b: Printed raglan tie-front top
Pattern: based on the same raglan t-shirt pattern as above, just modified to add a lot more width to the pieces so it could be gathered.  Front slit and bound then the neckline trimmed in bias binding which then extend to the ties.
Fabric: 100% cotton, a remnant of border print - cut so the border runs across the back.

Wild cards:
W1: Linen knit cardigan
Pattern: V8954, modified to raise the neckline, as a previous version of this kept falling off my shoulders.  Also adjusted the collar pieces to match the smaller neck opening.
Fabric: same linen knit as T1b

W2: Linen darted dress
Pattern:  One of the dresses in the 'Basic Black' book by Sato Watanabe.  Modified the shoulders.  I was going to make this as a thigh length tunic, but just cut it out to the end of the fabric, ready to trim it off once I tried it on.  I actually like the length as it was, uneven hem and all, so hemmed it as is.  I thought it might be too long to go over the trousers B2, but liked to look, so have kept it in the collection.  As a wild-card, it needs to go with both sets 1 and 2.  It goes from being an 'under' with the tops from Set 1, to an 'over' with the trousers from Set 2.
Fabric:  Same as B2

Here they are:

Left to Right: Linen dart dress (W2), Printed cotton tie-front raglan top (T3b), Textured cotton lined shell top (T2b), Raglan wide-neck tee (T3a), Woven singlet (T2a), Linen knit boxy tee (T1b), Natural cotton jersey ¾ sleeve tee (T1a), Linen knit cardigan (W1), Linen pull-on trousers (B2), Cotton canvas jeans (B3), Denim jeans (B1)

Some detail shots, showing various neck and edge bindings, my chinese knot buttons on the cardigan, and the fit of the jeans, which I'm very happy with:

And finally, I've spent all day taking photos and am quite certain now I'm not cut out to be a model!  Oh goodness, it's tedious.  I've never changed clothes so many times in one day.  Here are hopefully enough looks to show how it all works together. Please tell me it's enough, I'm not even sure I have the strength left to change into my pyjamas!

So there it is folks.  It's been a hard task making the final selections.  There are several garments that are still very much part of my overall wardrobe, but couldn't fit into the garment limit. 

I also have more plans to fill out the 'holes'.  I'd love another set or two to reduce the workload on these garments, so they don't wear out too fast.  I'd also like an extra over-layer or two, so I'm prepared for cooler evenings.  And more a couple more dresses... so much still to do.

This has been a very rewarding process and I'm going to be better dressed than I've ever been before.  It will be marvellous to know I can pick anything out of the wardrobe and have something that works. 

Thanks @Manuela for running this and giving us a wonderfully flexible set of rules to apply.  I'm going to be busy with other things for the next few weeks, but look forward to popping in and seeing others' collections from time to time.  I'll be thinking of you all.

:)

Sonatine

« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
@renita I'm completely in awe, what a wonderful collection! The fit on the jeans is brilliant and I love the darts as a design feature on the linen dress.

Greybird

« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
Very impressive @renita !! You must have been working non-stop to achieve all that. The garments and the fabrics are all lovely.