The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Sewingsue

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »
If one was stupid foolish optimistic enough to be even vaguely thinking about attempting this would one have to register (with a plan) by tomorrow?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
If one was stupid foolish optimistic enough to be even vaguely thinking about attempting this would one have to register (with a plan) by tomorrow?

No, any time is fine, latest one months before the finishing date though - but you can still make changes  :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 13:52:31 PM »
Thank you, Manuela.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 17:32:52 PM »
I'm happy with what is intended by the rules. I probably won't sew a dress though so can skip those bits!
I have 3 or 4 lots of inspiration, none of which intersect terrible well so I will see which wins out in early June to get sewn.
Inspiration 1 is multiple remnants of cadet blue suiting. I imagined it as trousers, cardigan jacket and skirt with coordinating tops.
Inspiration 2 is a pile of ivory based things I have  to make tops ivory and brown, ivory based animal print, ivory and cadet blue etc.
Inspiration 3 is some black and white pieces I over dyed teal.  Mostly stripes of different scales could be tops, cardigan etc. Could combine with plain black bottoms and plain teal bottoms. I have a black/ white/ teal print for a top.
Inspiration 4 is a fleece jacket in a burgundy based print which I never finished, and some burgundy trousers ditto. They could have their own little collection.
Ummmm.

DementedFairy

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 18:24:24 PM »
I'm finding this tricky, as I always do when actual numbers of garments or garment types are used.  Do I need that many tops?  Nope, I need more trousers.  Yes, I know I can make them anyway, but it's making me itch a bit.
Not to worry, it's already made me remember a couple of gorgeous fabrics that I want to be wearing this summer...
C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 20:14:10 PM »
Ooh la la Fran, tres chic!
C'est moi!

Saashka

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 21:48:43 PM »
Here’s my preliminary plan:

1. Pants and two tops
2. Skirt and two tops
3. Two dresses and a jacket
4. Probably another jacket

Groups 1 and 2 would mix and match. Jackets should be wearable with all groups. I still need to work out the colors. Because normally I’d jump in with black, gray, and red, but for some reason the turquoise and yellow fabrics in my collection want to be sewn up soon.

jen

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
I’m still flipping between colour plans. I’ve had a long standing idea (fantasy) of making an all white collection. Utterly impractical so it probably won’t happen.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
Manuela, I have a cardigan question, is it a sort of top if I want it to be or can I only sew a layer if I make 2 dresses?

I was looking at a scenario like this...
Trousers/pants + knit top + sewn cardigan/ jacket
Could that be a group? I almost always wear a layer so like to have a reasonable number.

Also could a coat be the wildcard? I'm thinking of a long light weight trench coat style coat which could go over everything.

Manuela

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
1. Manuela, I have a cardigan question, is it a sort of top if I want it to be or can I only sew a layer if I make 2 dresses?

2. I was looking at a scenario like this...
Trousers/pants + knit top + sewn cardigan/ jacket
Could that be a group? I almost always wear a layer so like to have a reasonable number.

3. Also could a coat be the wildcard? I'm thinking of a long light weight trench coat style coat which could go over everything.

Hi Ruthie, I numbered your questions (that's the German in me  ;))

1. A cardie can be a top/layer in any combination - either with two dresses, or with a top and a bottom.

2. Yep, looks good to me

3. A coat would be an ideal wild card - a coat like this would perfect to go with almost anything  :)

elisep

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
Hmm, this might be one I can participate in! I think my wildcard will be my electric blue wool coat that I've just started on.
As for the others, I've recently lost weight and am shortly to be starting a new job and need lots of new work clothes!
Torn between the 1 RTW being either jeans or a jacket. I'm not much for making the kind of tops I like to wear (lightweight silky blouses) but I do have plenty of fabric bought for this purpose so it might be a good excuse to force myself to! Also planning to try and only use stash fabrics, though we all know how that usually works out!

Rough plan, will probably change!!

Wildcard - electric/cobalt blue wool/cashmere coat

Group 1
RTW skinny jeans
Cross-over top - either grey & teal crepe from my stash or a nice silk voile I'm coveting online...
Cardi in a black jersey with gold stag's heads

Group 2
Slim leg pants in black stretch gabardine
Long sleeved shirt in black & white striped crinkle chiffon
French blue waterfall front blazer or black & white striped blazer (will probably make both then decide which one to include)

Group 3
For this group I'm going to do something different...
I have a half finished black pinstripe dress with a peplum (at the waist) that I'm going to finish as a separate top and bottom...
Meaning I can wear it as a dress, the skirt with a different top, or the top with the pants from group 1.
Black silk sleeveless blouse (or maybe the 3/4 sleeve version)
So for this group, the "under" would be the skirt, and the two "overs" the peplum top and the blouse, does that work?

Lots of black in here but we're on our way into winter and a typical winter outfit for me is black palette with a pop of colour. Oh and each article in each group should work with most things in the other groups too, the exception being if I make the cross over top in the grey & teal fabric.

Lots of sewing in my immediate future! Hopefully I can have this all finished well before the deadline as I'll be needing it in the next couple of months!! Oh and I have a velvet evening dress to make for August, too...  :[
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:09:09 PM by elisep »
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 21:23:29 PM »
We get to start sewing today!  :toast:

I still haven't formulated a proper plan. OH will be gone Sunday through Tuesday so hope to do it then. Meanwhile, a partial plan. Normally I like to sew up everything that uses one color of thread before switching out, like Ruthie does. Just seems efficient to me. For this I'm going to sew/assemble one group at a time, so if I don't get too far what is done will be useful. I'm also going to keep the odds in my favor....no fool here.

Group 1
Tunic, Navy Rayon crepe -previously made
Tina Givens Plinka (bloomer)pant, Navy/Off White micro check in rayon blend-previously sewn
Boxy 3/4 sleeve Tee cotton interlock, either Navy or White.

So, erhem, it's day one and I'm 20% finished. Group one really needs Navy/White striped pants too and both of the boxy tees. Maybe the beginning of Group 2?

I'll bring in the pattern info after I look them up, most likely on the weekend.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2018, 22:52:25 PM »
Thinking one of my stripe knits could make a cool chevron skirt.
Need to work out how it might look though as need to get the stripes going the right way for a nice look.

warpjr1965

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2018, 03:05:16 AM »
I'm in!

I love a good long-term, multiple garment sewing challenge.
I have no overarching plan just yet, although the first group may be:

1. Blue chambray tunic
2. Navy blue sweater vest or short sleeved pullover
3. Tan pull on capris (already sewn.)

Will likely get zero done just yet as it is end of the school year and we have multiple recognition ceremonies to attend.

Wendy

Kwaaked

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
This, is in general, my color scheme.  Some are from FW2018 color report (and in a broad stroke not outside of my usual palette) like the Ceylon, Quetzal and pink...some are part of my usual.  Yes, there's 2 oranges and while not a whole lot of difference, in my fabrics this can be pumpkin to a harvest.  I haven't figured that out.  (Also the black isn't really a black, it's a pantone seal brown but it also is covering for the soft black fabric).
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is one garment I've got planned.  Linen/wook embroidered (close to the colors of the gold and dark in the color pic on the lower left).
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I don't have much else going on.  Still working on the inspiration right now; colors and a few garments are about all I got.  I have a pinterest board if there's an interest (and I can post it) of my fashion week pics and one I post to for an electronic mood board, but this is it right now.