The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Manuela

The Sewing Place's very own wardrobing competition. You are going to create your very own coordinating signature collection. I tried to come up with rules the would work for (almost) everyone, we live in different countries/continents in very different climates and lead different lives.

:frock: SWAKOP  :vintage: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan  :frock:

Rules:
1. Your collection should be a total of 10 garments.

2. You are allowed to include 1 RTW garment and 2 previously made garments (or, if you're like me and have hardly any RTW garments, 3 previously made garments).

3.  You should make 3 groups of 3 garments and one wild card. Here is how:
I will use the terms 'overs' and 'unders' and give examples how to understand them. They are flexible between groups. Each group should consist of 2 overs and 1 under

- if you wear dresses and want to make a group around them, a dress is an 'over' and a jacket/cape/coat/duster/waistcoat would be an 'under' that goes with it.
- if you wear pinafores and need something to go with that, a pinafore would be an 'under' and any t-shirt/shirt/blouse would be and over
- if you make trousers/skirts that will be worn with t-shirts/blouses/tunics, the bottom is an 'under' and the top is an 'over'

Group 1:
2 overs and 1 under

Group 2:
2 overs and 1 under

Group 3:
2 overs and 1 under - they must coordinate with either group 1 OR 2

Wild Card:
Either an over or an under that coordinates with group 1 AND 2

Time frame:
I know that some of you have already cut or half finished garments they would like to include, that is fine, but not more than 2.
Other than that sewing starts on May 15 and ends on October 31st. Pictures should be up by November 5th.
Any garment you make for the two currently running competitions can be included.
Please post your initial plan here by October 1st and indicate your participation.

Fire away if you have questions, happy planning  :)

ETA:
Deadline extension until December 10th, and early bird bonus forvthise who finish on October 31st

Now that's an excellent idea @Francesca
Those who finish on October 31st will get an e tra x-votes bonus (the exact number to be decided) foe finishing early. Submission posts need to be up by November 5th

Those who finish on December 10th won't. Submission posts need to be up by December 15th.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 15:52:01 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

Do the 10 garments have to all work together, or just within their set groups? I'm guessing the "groups" are kinda like outfits. Can items in the groups spread across to other groups? (E.g, if I include my RTW black skinny jeans, can they be part of group 1 and group 2 or just group 1?)

Also, I wonder if you have any examples of people who have completed collections before to share (with their permission) because I'm more of a visual person and seeing an example of previous 10 garments would help me immensely  0_0

Do the 10 garments have to all work together, or just within their set groups?
A: in their set groups only - but note that group 3 has to work with either of the other ones

E.g, if I include my RTW black skinny jeans, can they be part of group 1 and group 2 or just group 1?
A: No, they can only be oart of one group

DementedFairy finished two SWAPs.... you may want to look them up at her blog  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:03:02 PM by Manuela »

jen

I’m hoping someone will chip in with a graphic, because the under/over thing has got me (a dress is an over, but the jacket you wear over it is an under?)

sleepingwolf

I read this as overs = tops and unders = bottoms which would leave a good ratio of tops, bottoms and over layers across 10 garments.  This is very similar to the 2016 SWAP on artisan square.  The category dresses fell into was a bit confusing then as well.

Renegade Sewist

LOL! Manuela, you are trying to keep us busy, aren't you?  ><

I was doing OK until I got to this part:  "jacket/cape/coat/duster/waistcoat would be an 'under' that goes with it" which rather bent my mind. I have a wee bit of trouble imagining an overlayer as an "under", but I get that it's just semantics to keep the theme working and the concept simple.

Ladies, it frequently takes a day or two to grasp the concept for something like this. Can take me a few weeks.  :loveit:  Last year I was the SWAP coordinator over at Artisan Square/Stitcher's Guild so I really know how challenging it can be to do the rules. Mudcat has done it this year.

It works really well to plan it out on paper. One year I did little cut outs to represent the garments to help myself out and to see if they actually worked together as directed.

And remember this probably isn't the only sewing you'll do this year! I need pants more than this allows for this year, so  no worries, I just make then in addition to this. If I'm really clever I make them to go with items from this.

Now if I can just remember to call it SWAKOP rather than SWAP I'll be doing well. Maybe sewing too...that would help.

PS: Love the time frame! Great for me and my "ideal" SWAP sewing in my mind finishes between Oct. 31 and Nov. 15, so YAY!!!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

@Manuela  do the previously sewn items need to be finished pre-rules, today, or before start of official sewing on May 15?

Thanks.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

This is kind of a stupid question: but what if we go over the 11 garments?  Just pare down for the pics?

Manuela

I am also confused by the over/under thing but I'm guessing it's just "the way it is" to make it work and get less hung up on the actual words and more on the idea of two garments paired?
Yes, exactly  :)
This is the only way I saw to incorporate dresses. One of my pet peeves with SWAP was that I was never really able to sew what I actually wear - dresses  ;)

Manuela

This is kind of a stupid question: but what if we go over the 11 garments?  Just pare down for the pics?
It's 10 garments avtually, but feel free to go over the limit. I set 10 as a minimum, if anyone wants to make 11 or 12, I have no problem with that. You can do additional wild cards or another group.

Manuela

@Manuela  do the previously sewn items need to be finished pre-rules, today, or before start of official sewing on May 15?

Thanks.

Before the start of the official sewing is fine. I was a bit late (due to university assignments)  so I'll be lenient  ;)

Manuela

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 23:50:45 PM »
@jen and @Francesca, here a link to an almost completed SWAP I did a few years back, including planning:

Manuela's almost completed SWAP

Dresses are always tricky to categorise, they're 'overs' with the garment being worn as a topper named 'under' for semantics. You wouldn't make two jackets for a dress, rather two dresses for a jackets.... Its difficult to fit them in otherwise, but I wanted to include them - and this is the only way it works...

In a different context, when worn as tunics, dresses are overs with a skirt or trousers as an 'under'.

Here a half finished SWAP with planning based on dresses:

Manuela's half finished SWAP

To simplify:
An 'over' is something worn on top of an 'under', dresses can be either 'overs' or 'unders' depending on your needs.

Hope this makes sense  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 23:53:04 PM by Manuela »

Saashka

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 01:37:09 AM »
You wouldn't make two jackets for a dress...

I totally would. My ideal dream closet would have maybe five dresses in black or dark charcoal gray, with at least ten different bright-colored jackets. And coordinating scarves and jewelry.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
I totally would. My ideal dream closet would have maybe five dresses in black or dark charcoal gray, with at least ten different bright-colored jackets. And coordinating scarves and jewelry.

If that is what you wear, you could certainly tow jackets and one dress as a group. I'd have no problem with that  :)

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 13:00:19 PM »
OK here's what I'm thinking, but I need @Manuela to confirm it's OK for me:

Group 1:
Black RTW jeans
Blue silk top
Knit moto jacket

Group 2:
Red stripe t-shirt
Black pinafore
???

No idea beyond that.

Can I make underwear? I want to make a body type thing which wouldn't be visible in Group 2 outfit but I'm not sure what else to make.
Sorry @Francesca, no underwear...
For your group 2, how about another t-shirt for your pinafore?
What are you making for the 'Florals Rule' competition, is there something you could put into group 3?
Are their any orphans that need pairing up with something in your closet? Is there a jacket or coat you want to make (that could be your wild card)?

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 14:28:06 PM »
@Francesca, yay, bingo  :)
Yor plan looks good, group 3 coordinates well with group 1 (and maybe even with group 2) and your wild card goes with two of your groups.
Experience tells me that plans may or may not change  :devil: