The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Renegade Sewist

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
@Kwaaked  I would be interested in links to those Pinterest boards if you please and thank you. That cape is stunning. I love the long version...sure. It's about 5 yards of 60" fabric. Which view for you? What I'm visualizing with the embroidery is pretty spectacular...lucky you to have the talent to do it.

You've given me an idea with the Seal Brown. I'm trying to move away from black as it's finally getting a tad harsh on me....my eyebrows are graying!  0_0 I'm contemplating taking some mid dark brown and  over dyeing it with a black wash just to tone it a bit. What are you're thoughts on that? I actually can pretty much do your colors samples but the Ceylon would be death near my face. Pity; I love the color. I saw a tiny scarf recently that was featured to tie around the neck, not much more than a choker or ribbon when worn that was mostly that color. I might go back for it as it seemed to work OK on me with masses of appropriate colors.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
@Renegade Sewist I have like 4 yards of it...I believe it's 62" wide, maybe?  The swatch card is at the studio, so, meh.  I know I have enough for at least view A, and probably B...but what view I make largely depends on what I plan to go with it and/or embroidery placement.  Mostly, I plan on using it like it is...the border at the border and the pockets utilizing the same border (making the pockets scalloped) and hand stitching the hem in the scallop design...rather simple use in all honesty.  As far as the matching, I've either got an idea for slim pants or a simple skirt in a gold/khaki satin with a cream blouse (woven shell or tunic style tee).  Pants would be the shorter, the skirt for the longer.

As to the over dying, I probably wouldn't go for a black if it's already too harsh.  I don't wear a lot of black (the cape is an anomaly for me, but it's not a true black and goes well enough with the other colors to be okay) and using the Rit I'd probably create my own like this french roast color.  It's black and brown and will tone down some of the black and keep the brown shade a little better.  Or just use the dark brown and leave it for a few hours.

A couple of these colors didn't translate on my monitor well from the physical samples (ceylon, dark navy and seal, specifically).  The ceylon and brown are a lot warmer off my monitor, and the seal is almost a warm black color in my fabrics.  My navy is less powdery then this looks and both more blue and darker.  My ceylon fabrics are fine, this color swatch...no so much, but ceylon and lime are in the same family, I don't know why I didn't combine them in my photo, but I should have.  But honestly, I am like the most neutral person on the planet.  Color has to be interesting, since I surely am not in my looks.

My pinterest is here.  I only have a few boards, and not many pins at that.

Manuela

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »
Yay, capes!!! The world needs more capes  <3

Sewingsue

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
Clever way to pick colours @Kwaaked

Wondering how you then find the fabrics that match your colour choices though (well, unless you can get to one of those huge New York fabric shops)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kwaaked

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 13:29:16 PM »
@Sewingsue I based the colors off of fabric I already have.  I just found the color equivalent...some may not be exact, but they're close.

Manuela

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2018, 13:46:26 PM »
@Francesca, that looks like a very good plan. Methinks the coat would be an ideal wildcard, due to its versatility.
Looooove the lobster earrings.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
Here is my plan.
Theme stripes
Colours teal and black

Pod 1
Black ponte trousers
Teal and black stripe tee
Black and teal striped cardigan

Pod 2
Black pinstripe trousers
Black and teal print top
Black boucle cardigan jacket

Pod 3
Dark teal trousers
Dark teal top
Turquoise cardigan

Wild card
Dark grey raincoat
(Or may revisit a teal wool coat I had planned)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:40:14 PM by SewRuthieSews »

DementedFairy

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 17:19:34 PM »
I started pushing ideas and fabrics around on my blog...have a look
C'est moi!

Kwaaked

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »
I got my "theme" today and as a result, my colors may change.  Matter of fact, they probably will.  I'll have to sit and decide how and where I am going with it.

But theme: Octupi are aliens.  Basing each group on the changes the octopus goes through in camouflage AND making each an occasion (camo in social settings)  Smooth, Textured and Mottled (ladies that lunch, date night and social aka my in laws).

2 items I am working around is the cape and this Thom Browne:

For the smooth, I've got satins. (dete night)
Textured is around this jacket (I may not make the same shape, but I like the idea of one with Vionnet roses and tendril-ness like an octopus) (ladies that lunch)
Mottled: the cape.  The embroidery is spotted enough...and obviously, it's social.

Haven't got a wild card yet.

Efemera

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
A few thoughts
Group 1
Vogue 9112   navy floral cotton
Vogue 9230   heavyweight linen
Santa Fe top (made)

Group 2
Burda 6488 blue checked cotton with short sleeves
Burda 6488 white eyelet sleeveless
Jeans RTW

Group 3 ?

Efemera

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2018, 18:05:55 PM »
Well that’s one struck off the list... Vogue 9112... it’s horrendous!..shapeless sticky outy!..I’ve made it up in some scrap stuff. I’ve had to put huge darts in the hem to bring it in at the bottom..it’s marginally better but it won’t make the SWAKOP.

Manuela

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2018, 00:09:43 AM »
Well that’s one struck off the list... Vogue 9112... it’s horrendous!..shapeless sticky outy!..I’ve made it up in some scrap stuff. I’ve had to put huge darts in the hem to bring it in at the bottom..it’s marginally better but it won’t make the SWAKOP.

@Efemera, what I liked the most on Vogue 9112 is the collar. The shape woukdn't do anything for me. So, I copied collar and neckhole and put it on my dress sloper. You can see the result (my new cinema dress with sewn in LED light  :devil:) in my diary thread.
The Vogue 9112 neckline on it own looks good on me too, thus is was worth the sales prive of the pattern to create new variations using my loose fitting dress sloper.

Efemera

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2018, 09:16:38 AM »
I like the collar too...I’ll stick it onto my Lantern Dress pattern

DementedFairy

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2018, 14:37:56 PM »
Item one-ish complete.  Shall I count my 'westwood' plaid skirt?  probably!  The colour theme is already slipping from blue/green to blueygreenypurpleywhite.  I'll have to rename it 'the seafoam collection'
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2018, 16:42:40 PM »
Green, purple and white are the Suffragette colours so quite topical @DementedFairy ?