The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2018, 16:58:20 PM »
Well that’s one struck off the list... Vogue 9112... it’s horrendous!..shapeless sticky outy!..I’ve made it up in some scrap stuff. I’ve had to put huge darts in the hem to bring it in at the bottom..it’s marginally better but it won’t make the SWAKOP.

It's one of my favourite patterns  0_0  0_0
Maybe it suits my shapeless sticky outy body  0_0

I do make it in two sizes smaller and I've shortened it by about 3 or 4 inches.

Efemera

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2018, 20:54:44 PM »
I just didn’t like the way it stuck out at the bottom..I prefer the balloon shape where it goes back in at the hem, I’m going to put big darts in the hem so it pulls it back in

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2018, 16:47:29 PM »
Manuela, for this contest do we have to declare the detailed plan up front and then stick exactly to it?
I have been thinking about it and if that is the case then I don't want to do the contest.

I am happy to present something at the end which complies with the rules but need flexibility in the planning due to all the stuff which can go wrong during the sewing process.
I'll stick to my overall colours and theme but tweak as required.

Manuela

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2018, 00:15:54 AM »
Manuela, for this contest do we have to declare the detailed plan up front and then stick exactly to it?

No Ruthie, you can change your plan as many times as you want/need to. It's always enjoyable to see plans develop and grow over time  :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 00:18:27 AM by Manuela »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2018, 01:53:42 AM »
Quote from: Sewingsue on May 14, 2018, 10:51:33 AM
If one was stupid foolish optimistic enough to be even vaguely thinking about attempting this would one have to register (with a plan) by tomorrow?

Reply:No, any time is fine, latest one months before the finishing date though - but you can still make changes  :)

No Ruthie, you can change your plan as many times as you want/need to. It's always enjoyable to see plans develop and grow over time  :)

After Ruthie's question, and thinking back to Sewingsue's earlier question, my thick head has one too. We do need to post a plan, on this thread, at some point, not too close to the end, but we can change it  as we go along, right? For that post your plan date, "any time is fine, latest one months before the finishing date though", did you have a specific date? September 1? Is October 1 pushing it?

I ask as I realize I might not actually get to it all until August.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2018, 02:50:17 AM »
@Renegade Sewist October 1st would be a good cut off date for the initial plan (will add that to the first post)  - only a very prolific sewist with loads of TNT patterns and oodles of time would be able to finish in such a short time...

Again, the initial plan(s) can be changed at any time before October 31st.

My aim with having participants announcing their plans here is:
1. Make sure it complies with the rules and address questions/misunderstandings
2. Prevent what happened at Stitcher's Guild a number of years ago: someone signs up, does not post/communicate in the forum, submits an entry, wins and disappears.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2018, 03:53:49 AM »
@Manuela Thanks Sweetie. I never liked that when someone just showed up at the end and posted photos and liked it less when they won. There was such a big disconnect with that. At SG we always had a number of people who jumped right in, swept up in what I call SWAP Fever and started a thread with their plan, never to be heard from again. That's to be expected, but the way you've set this up with less contemplation time between concept and start of sewing Will I think be really good. Once people get excited about the idea they won't have months to wait to get started.

Oct.1 sounds like a good cutoff date for all the reasons you cited.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »
Really?
People are that rude???
My mum had a T-shirt that said  "The more people I meet the more I love my dog". No wonder!
I love the idea of this comp. Can't wait to see what everyone produces.
Good luck.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
Ok thanks for the clarification.
I will participate as much as is practical.
The approach I am going for is :-

Black/charcoal with teal
Stripes as a general theme
Trousers + top + cardigan/ top * 3
Coat which can go over everything

I am going to make the pieces as mix and match as possible.
Hopefully can do some fabric swatches this week.
My earlier planning was theoretical from holiday without access to the stash!

mudcat

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2018, 18:57:51 PM »
I have a difficult time with these plans.  In theory, I like the idea but my attention span is short and since I want to use stash fabric and patterns rather than buying all new I seem to have a disconnect between the fabrics and patterns I have.  Often I am short yardage and I have too many prints and not enough solids.  However, I need clothes badly.  Most everything is two years old or more and starting to wear out.  Most items I wear weekly or biweekly. My wardrobe is small.

I was looking at my old Sudoku plan that never came to fruition and thought it would work for this so I will see if I can plan the three sets and wildcard from it later today.

samtowanda

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2018, 19:12:51 PM »
I was looking at my old Sudoku plan that never came to fruition and thought it would work for this so I will see if I can plan the three sets and wildcard from it later today.

Good idea, I have a copy of an old plan on my bulletin board that I never finished. I'm wondering if I can change it around to work on my current plan.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2018, 19:31:02 PM »
Mudcat I am going to mix stripes in with prints. I think pinstripe trousers are OK with a print top for example, that way I have have lots of 'print' things.

The sewing pixies seem to have made a mess in my sewing room again. However I will finish the current tee shirt, and then review fabrics for SWAKOP. Yardage when sewing from stash is always a challenge for me.

mudcat

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2018, 20:18:48 PM »
I think I've a plan.  It's StyleArc minus 1.  Yes, there's a lot of black because that's what I wear.  I will try to use mostly stash fabric but need to buy some organic cotton/lycra jersey which I get from Organic Cotton Plus.  The knit is a nice quality for a reasonable price and made in the US which I like.  I only wish they had more colors.  They also have some super nice french terry. I will likely end up moving around some of the sleeveless tops based on which look best with the respective pants.

Set 1
black woven pants (SA Daphne Duo Pant)
black woven print top (SA Daphne Duo Top)
royal blue sleeveless knit top (SA Evie Knit Top)

Set 2
black woven pants (SW Trio Pants)
black sleeveless knit top (SA Madeleine Ponte Top)
pink knit sleeveless top (SA Esme Knit Top)

Set 3
black woven pants (SA Besharl pants)
black knit top (SA Besharl top)
Mixed pink/blue (sweater knit) jacket (SA Besharl Jacket)

WildCard
black print woven top (SA Dahlia Tunic)

I changed it a bit from my original Sudoku plan which included a Cutting Line pattern that I already started and never finished because even the XS is too large (and the finished hip width is complete nonsense). Some day I will take it in a bit but the un-stitching is not something I enjoy doing.  Also a different SA sleeveless top I've made many times and thought it was time for a change.  I have more than 50 Style Arc patterns I've collected over the last few years and only made a handful of them. 

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 20:30:31 PM by mudcat »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2018, 20:38:51 PM »
With all that black it is definitely going to co-ordinate OK Mudcat.

Of course whether something 'goes with' something else is quite subjective (and my personal rulles seem rather arbitrary sometimes).

I was thinking if maybe Pod 1 and Pod 2 in my collection used the same suiting fabric, it'd all work swimmingly. I really need work clothes more than casual.

Pod 1
Charcoal and teal stripe trousers
Charcoal and teal stripe cardigan jacket
Black/teal/white print knit top

Pod 2
Charcoal and teal stripe skirt
Black/teal stripe top
Black/teal stripe cardigan jacket

Pod 3
Black pinstripe trousers
Black boucle cardigan jacket
Teal and silver stripe blouse

Wildcard
Teal wool coat.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2018, 07:17:47 AM »
Actually committing to a plan is hard.
I had a bit of a look in the fabric cupboard and found a nice tweedy jacket in teal and white. This is not in any of the plans I have come up with yet, but I quite like it.
It is also quite warm here at the moment so the idea of jackets or even the coat I have planned for the SWAKOP does not appeal at all!