The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Magimum

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2018, 15:14:38 PM »
I'm late to join in, but so pleased to find you all. How wonderful to see so many familiar names.

Manuela, thanks for an interesting challenge. I have to say the timing for this one suits me better than a post Christmas SWAP.

I'm going to revisit old-and-never-completed plans to see what I can come up with.

Lisa
My embroidery is at Flowerdog designs
My Instagram

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2018, 22:58:04 PM »
Well I have cut out another pair of trousers (pants) which is not very SWAKOP, as I feel I should finish a whole pod before starting on the next one. However I am on a trousers track at the moment, as I love the way this particualr pant is fitting me right now, so want multiple pairs of them. Ahem.

Anyway after these I shall return to proper SWAKOPing unless I get sidetracked again).

Manuela

« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
It's great to see all the enthusiasm here. Do have a look here:

https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/board,63.0.html

... and vote for the two recent competitions  :)

Gemma

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2018, 22:30:44 PM »
Ok, so I will shortly be in need of C-section recovery/nursing clothes, so I'm going to attempt to take part - whether I succeed will all depend how much gets done in the next week and then on how much harder 2 kids is than 1!

Group 1 - Pink theme
madrid dress/ with nursing mod, gathered knee length skirt, empire waist and elbow length sleeves (Under)
Plain Pants by DBD with low rise, maternity waistband, pedal pusher length and slim fit (Made today, just needs hemming) (Over)
Julia Cardigan (Over)

Group 2
Same as group 1 but in purples, and probably with different options on the madrid dress.

Group 3
Purchased Jeans (Under)
Layer-me-up with maternity mod & long sleeve (Over) - Already made
Layer-me-up with maternity mod & short sleeve (Over) - Cut out this week

Should coordinate with the cardigans and/or leggings from groups 1 and 2 (decisions on which fabric will become which garment are still being made!)

Wildcard
Women's forester coat with babywearing panel - this will probably be made in September when it get's cold!
Forester Coat

Manuela, have I got the under/over thing right? I will wear the plain pants as leggings under the dresses as I love skirts but find that mum activities can lead to unintentional flashing if you're not careful!

Manuela

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2018, 22:34:12 PM »
@Gemma there is no problem with your use of the formula - that looks like a very good plan to me  :)

blue mooney

« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2018, 14:59:55 PM »
Some preliminary planning to get started. My first thoughts were to sew the different pods with no real variation, so that all the tops would go with all of the bottoms. But I do want to sew up some of my stash fabrics and to do that will mean a little variation.

So...
Pod #1 - 2 knit tops, woven trousers
Pod#2 - 2 knee length tunics, purchased leggings
Pod #3 - 2 shirt type tops, narrowish ponte trousers, will probable coordinate with both of the other groups.

Wildcard is probably going to be a previously made item, my Miss Fisher-inspired linen trenchcoat.
Or possibly a duster-length cardigan.

I am retired but do go out in public from time to time so I want these pieces to be at least a little stylish.

Manuela

« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2018, 16:24:57 PM »
@blue mooney that looks very doable and your Miss Fisher coat would be the perfect wildcard.

warpjr1965

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2018, 18:03:00 PM »
I've gotten some momentum going this weekend, and have the bodice and skirt attached on the top dress, shoulder seams done. Heading back into the sewing room to get going on the floral under dress.
Wendy

sleepingwolf

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2018, 22:10:00 PM »
I've been dithering for ages about joining in.  I usually just sew things that catch my fancy at the time and don't plan much.  However I've recently lost a fair amount of weight and while I'm OK for what remains of the summer I desperatly need wearable everyday clothes for the autumn/winter.  This is my inital plan -hope it fits the rules.

Group 1
Brown wide leg trousers – Burda Plus AW 2010 407
Yellow skinny rib top – Ottobre 5/2011 8
Brown drape front cardigan – Ottobre 5/2017 17

Group 2
Black/ brown/grey print trousers– Ottobre 5/2013 2
Brown T Shirt – Ottobre 2/2006 2
Yellow knit V-neck jumper - Burda Plus AW 2016 407

Group 3
Black denim jeans – Burda Plus AW 2010 418 or Ottobre 5/2007 16
Floral sleeveless  shirt– Ottobre 2/2006 4
Chocolate Half zip fleece – Burda 11/2004 118

Wild card
Raincoat - Ottobre 5/2007 20 or Burda 01/2009 129
or
Cord jacket - Burda Plus AW 2010 411 or Burda 08/2016 134

It is all a bit brown because I need to sew from stash and only the browns and yellows come close to working together.  Everything else seems to have been bought on the "Ooooooh pretty!!!" principle which is useless for wardrobe plannng.

Manuela

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2018, 23:20:15 PM »
@sleepingwolf that looks like a decent plan, looking forwrd to seeing it evolving.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2018, 15:06:56 PM »
I am fighting the urge to sew anything other (bizarely I fancy sewing window treatments for the conservatory) than the cardigan jacket which goes with the striped trousers.
I do like plans but I like them to have some wriggle room and not be too specific. I like to have some options available.

Magimum

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2018, 15:26:26 PM »
I spent the weekend grappling with a boat canopy (thread-like wire and I broke the first jeans needle), all the time dreaming of sewing a beautifully coordinated capsule wardrobe.

So this is what I came up with:

-------------
Jeans skirt in stone/cream (Under)
Thread Theory Camas navy & white spot jersey shirt (Over)
Chambray shirt (Over)

--------------

Turquoise linen skirt (Under)
Style Arc Tara  sleeveless shirt in ivory (Over)
Style Arc Cindy Jeans jacket in light coloured denim (Over)

----------------

Stretch trousers (Barbs or similar) in cobalt blue (Under)
Navy/white breton stripe tee (Over)
Turquoise tee (Over)

------

Wildcard: a coat, maybe the Amethyste by Grains de Couture, in a teal babycord.

I've stuck to my favourite navy/turquoise/ivory palette, and casual, comfortable styles.  All the garments should go with everything else. I have all the fabric and patterns in the stash, except for the cobalt bengaline for the trousers.

I'm quite excited by this, I can see it being a useful collection that I will actually wear, and I'm already thinking about how it can be extended with accent colours (Coral? Mustard?) and other pieces into the cooler weather.

Lisa

My embroidery is at Flowerdog designs
My Instagram

Manuela

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2018, 00:16:38 AM »
@Magimum that looks like an excellent plan  :)

DementedFairy

« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:38 AM »
@Magimum that sounds so summery and lovely.  I'm making a chunk of my SWAKOP in blu/denim too, although it's already creeping towards the darker end of the summery vibe!
C'est moi!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2018, 17:04:58 PM »
I am part way through my cardigan jacket in pinstripe and then something bad happened to the overlocker and my attempts to fix it made it worse. However there is a semi retired local chap called Keith who repairs sewing machines locally if you take them round to his garage.
So the beastie is now repaired and back home, just needs the thread putting back and I can get back to sewing.

I bought the overlocker in the mid to late 1990s and its the first time I recall it needing attention so I don't begrudge the money one little bit.
I may have something to share before the end of the day....