The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

SewRuthieSews

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2018, 20:15:55 PM »
Cardigan jacket finished. Yay.

Next up might actually do some alteration work before I move on to the next SWAKOP piece.

beepbeepsew

« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2018, 22:11:56 PM »
Ok, I have been thinking about this and here's what I've come up with so far.  I'm trying to merge some ideas for projects I had into this so that ultimately everything I want to make, gets made.

Group 1 - Denim Jacket or possibly a cord jacket, Maxi dress and other summer dress  (summer clothes)
Group 2 - Coloured Denim jeans, a shell top, shirt  (everyday clothes for me)
Group 3 - Culottes, and 2x wrap tops, one that matches the bottoms for a faux jumpsuit effect and one contrasting (outfit for my grandmas 90th birthday party)

Wildcard : An oversized knitted cardigan, maybe?

Colours- I'm thinking emerald greens, mustard and navy - I found the most delicious green denim

I have no doubt this will all change, but I definitely need an outfit for my grandmas party in september so the priority is on getting some summer clothes done and making something semi-glam for the 'do'

Manuela

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
@beepbeepsew that sounds like a very good plan.

Manuela

« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2018, 02:06:31 AM »
@Francesca, would you wear it just with a bottom out on the street. If the answer is yes, it counts as a top. If you need to wear something over it, it's underwear.  :)

Kwaaked

« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
This is my plan, would you let me know if it fits?

Group 1: satin skirt, satin pants-one will have grommets if not both as decoration.  Blouse

Group 2: wide legged pants, cargo skirt, blouse, rose appliqued jacket

Group 3: Golden tan slim pants in sateen (might change to jeans, though), gold skirt, blouse, cape

Wildcard: blouse

All of them will be interchangeable.  A blouse from 1 would work with 3, the cape from 3 will go with the pants from one, the jacket from 2 will go with the other groups, etc. I was going to do a few dresses, and still might at that.

Some of the fabrics are temporary.  As it sits now:

Group 1 will consist of a fruit punch and black satin, and the blouse will either be a black charmeuse, one with a print encompassing both or an orange.   

Group 2 I haven't decided on the jacket color yet.  It will either be navy with navy flowers, navy with hot pink, lime green, teal and orange roses or dark brown with lime green, teal, orange and pink roses.  If I go navy, the pants will be a blue and white striped boucle, a navy skirt and lime top (or a print with all the general flower colors).

Group 3 is tan sateen, and either the same for the skirt or metallic gold.  Top will be a cream and hot pink roses from Thakoon.  The cape is black wool/linen with khaki and antique gold embroidery.

The wild card is undecided.  I have to pull fabrics to determine the whole thing, and I have no idea as of yet for that.

Manuela

« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2018, 13:35:49 PM »
@Kwaaked that sounds like a good plan to me, there are more than 10 garments though - which is not a problem  :)

Magimum

« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2018, 20:34:36 PM »
@Kwaaked your plan sounds very luxe and glam. Looking forward to seeing pics.

I'm still on plan, though June has been so busy I haven't done much any SWAKOP sewing. I do have patterns/fabrics sorted though.

Oh, I forgot, I made the Camas shirt from a piece of jersey left over from making a wrap dress ages ago. It was far too big, and the neckline was too low (to be fair I had read a comment somewhere about raising the neckline and ignored it, so my bad).
Anyway I ended up whizzing up the centre front with the overlocker and ended up with a quite nice v necked jersey top. I still like the pattern so I'll try it again in a smaller size. The V neck top will still work in the SWAKOP so nothing lost.

We're aiming for a late summer/early autumn holiday, and I hope this collection will work for it.
My embroidery is at Flowerdog designs
My Instagram

Kwaaked

« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2018, 22:28:03 PM »
@Kwaaked that sounds like a good plan to me, there are more than 10 garments though - which is not a problem  :)

The plan included another whole SWAKP amount of garments  :[  If I get to them I will.  Most of what I am making is pretty simple.   Much is going to depend on how much time I actually get to sew...my mom is real good about setting me up to fail on things I want to do.

gingerlew39

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2018, 22:22:33 PM »
When I found this thread, I just HAD to sign up! This is the kind of SWAP I think I can actually finish. And, mostly from my stash (as I had the great fortune to get to hit up MOOD in NYC last week)!  :button: :fabric: :button:

I was shopping for things I could put together into a capsule, so this challenge gives me the chance to make it happen.  I have 14 garments in my plan but 3 are "last to sew" in case I don't make it. I'll be making cropped pants and shorts from the True Bias Emerson Pants pattern, some tops from Kwik Sew 2956 which is a nice little shaped top with a convertible collar and cut-on sleeves (a TNT), some tanks from Indygo Junction 1147 and a couple of skirts. I'm also making a tunic length vest from Grainline Studios Alder pattern. I just made the first dress with it and I'm in love. I have all of the patterns except the skort pattern Kwik Sew 4161 which I just love the look of.

I plan to use navy, dark teal green and flax linen (in stash) and the wildcard will be a print that has all of those colors sewn up into a tunic from the Tunic Bible. I'll probably bling up the exposed facing on that with some embroidery incorporating all the colors. I'll need that buy print fabric and some more of the flax fabric as I only had enough for the pants.

This is gonna be a stash-busting TNT pattern party!

When I figure out how to post pictures, I'll post a picture of the first pair of crop pants in flax that I finished today and a storyboard of my plan.

This is going to be fun! I'm happy to have found some capsule wardrobe crazies like myself!

Ginger

Manuela

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2018, 03:22:22 AM »
@gingerlew39 posting pictures is easy peasy  here is how to do it:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Click on the '+' next to attachments and other options (below the text box)

Click on 'choose file' to upload a picture from your device

Click on 'insert attachment' to post the picture in your desired location in your post

If you want to post more pictures, click 'more attachments' and repeat the above steps    :)

Kad

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
@Manuela  this only works if you're a subscriber, used to work until quite recently for everyone I believe but no longer - there's a post about it in the ' technical support' section.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

elephun

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
Well, I've come to the realization that I have a full and coordinated wardrobe that I'm pretty happy with for my life as it stands. As such, I'm going to drop out of SWAKOP. I'll keep sewing my tests and experiments and I'm sure I'll end up with some new items along the way, but I'm not planning beyond doing the handsewing on the blouse that's been sitting for almost a month. Once that's finished, I know I'll need to start something else, but that's for another thread (if it is interesting enough)!

Sewingsue

« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
Well, I've come to the realization that I have a full and coordinated wardrobe that I'm pretty happy with for my life as it stands.
I really cannot imagine being able to say that.  ;)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

elephun

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2018, 16:20:34 PM »
I was surprised, @Sewingsue !

I tried on a bunch of my nicer clothes that I thought were no longer good enough in some way, before deciding what to sew next, and it turns out the existing things are fine. Now if I get a job where I have to dress up everyday, I’ll probably need to add a few items in that category.

Wardrobe planning, including SWAP, and seasonal 6PAC sewing is responsible for it. I’ve also lucked out at charity shops, and I’ve been able to fill in some wardrobe holes with really nice pieces that I now don’t have to sew.

I can play around with patterns and fabrics for a while. If I gain or lose too many pounds, or have some lifestyle change, it will be back to basics for me.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2018, 22:25:06 PM »
Bummer @Francesca . I had hoped the little bra top would be a winner for you. The outfit certainly sounded good.

I may get to planning soon. Pain is a bit better. It really is a drag with almost constant yet variable pain in the shoulders and neck. Cutting out, sewing and pressing all challenge that region so I am rather reluctant to do much before therapy starts. See the Doctor Friday and hope for some improvement soon.

@elephun  I've completely forgotten what it's like to have an ample well fit wardrobe that I also like. Congratulations on achieving one.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.