The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

gingerlew39

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2018, 03:51:22 AM »
Ok... let’s see if I still can’t pictures up... the option doesn’t come up. I’ll try it on my computer... maybe it doesn’t like my iPad.

This is my plan with line drawing from the patterns and then a chart showing overs/under so I could try to see how things might match up. I’m making solids besides the tunic. I love prints and bright colors so I though sewing some solids would be a good change to get more mix and match into my wardrobe.

I’m planning to weed out 1-2 things I have in my closet now for each thing I add. I have a ridiculous amount of clothes and still stand there looking thinking “I have nothing to wear”. I’ll never go minimalist but I can keep clothes in my closet that “bring me joy”.

One picture is my first piece... a pair of Emerson cropped pants in flax. The pattern is from True Bias and I used the PDF version printed off.

Looking forward to seeing all the creativity from this group!

Efemera

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
My plan seems to have gone very much awry....time for rethink.

Manuela

« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
Ok... let’s see if I still can’t pictures up... the option doesn’t come up. I’ll try it on my computer... maybe it doesn’t like my iPad.

It seems to be a subscriber privilege, in this case you'd need to host the images elsewhere (Flickr, Google, a blog, etc.) and the post it via the image link function (first one on the left above the smilies).

Magimum

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2018, 19:30:27 PM »
@Francesca, hope you can salvage some of your hard work. It's frustrating when things don't work.

My plan's evolving, partly because I bought some new fabric and of course I want to include it. I made a tee today, the first sewing I've done for a couple of weeks. It's a version of V9057, a Marcy Tilton pattern and I use it all the time. I had to piece the back as I was using an offcut, but I'm quite pleased with the result. Whizzed it together in the first half of a football match.  ;)

Here's the revised SWAKOP plan:

Jeans skirt in stone/cream (Under)
Thread Theory Camas navy & white spot jersey shirt (Over) done
Turquoise tee (Over)

--------------

Wrap skirt in navy/ivory spot linen (Under)
Style Arc Tara  sleeveless shirt in ivory (Over)
Style Arc Cindy Jeans jacket in light coloured denim (Over)

----------------

Turquoise linen Capris (Under)
Navy/white breton stripe tee (Over) done
Chambray shirt (Over)

Wildcard: a coat, maybe the Amethyste by Grains de Couture, in a heavy navy linen. (I was going to use babycord originally, but changed my mind after I saw some lovely linen trench coats online)

Wrap skirt next.
My embroidery is at Flowerdog designs
My Instagram

Manuela

« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2018, 00:40:51 AM »
@Magimum that sounds like a nice and wearable plan

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2018, 17:37:03 PM »
I seem to be in a similar place to Elephun, a combination of sewing 6PACs, SWAPs etc and some RTW shopping in both thrift stores and outlets has resulted in a wearable wardrobe for my current size.
I'm struggling a bit with the heat, and may need to review as I lose weight, so I have more leeway to sew for fun rather than needing it to get dressed.

A few cool tops with sleeves which could pass muster at work would be good.
Also some alterations to RTW to fit better would also be helpful.
So I'm not saying I'm definitely bowing out of SWAKOP, but I'm no longer actively working it as I was.
Let's see how the weight loss goes.... I may have some new problems shortly!

DementedFairy

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2018, 21:45:21 PM »
I managed to endure a short cutting out session earlier today, so there is now a small pile of things to be sewn, some of which are part of my plan.  THe heat is enervating though...
C'est moi!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2018, 20:57:28 PM »
It has cooled down slightly in North Derbyshire, so I'm going back in the sewing room, probably fixing curtains though rather than SWAKOPing....

Manuela

« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 13:46:17 PM »
Yay, well done @Francesca - remember you have still oodles of time  :)

warpjr1965

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2018, 02:59:17 AM »
Its nice to see everyone's progress.  I've been super busy, but also rather productive sewing-wise, which is unusual for me. I normally dither a lot!  Since June I've finished my metamorphic dress, a Wanderlust Tee in navy striped rayon, and a tank dress in the same rayon. If I throw my pre made capris in, I have the first of my 3 sets, plus a wild card (or two.)
Wendy

DementedFairy

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
Exam marking finally complete, I got cracking on some of my cut out sewing over the last couple of days.  I managed to complete a pair of shorts, a unitard, and a pair of pull-on trousers for the missus, and just started on item #1 of my Mimi G components for the SWAKOP- a long, unlined denim coat
AT LAST!
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2018, 19:10:27 PM »
No progress here....I’ll be walking around naked at this rate...

Kwaaked

« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2018, 22:56:07 PM »
@Francesca Boy do I hear that.  My last 5 weeks have been crazy. 

I take care of my bedridden mom.  House got hit with a lighting bolt 5 weeks ago.  Her electric wheelchair was busted from it and we've been waiting for repairs ever since.  In the meantime, her pain clinic (where you have to go to get medication) appointment came and went and she couldn't go.  Place was nice, got 3 weeks.  Then repair for chair got an appointment, made new pain appointment.  Repair ignored appointment, got letter clinic closing and mom had her cataract surgery, rented wheelchair.  Rental is like driving from Doncaster to London...and as big a PITA.  Do all that, working on getting her a new clinic because I have 30 days.  Problem because most go to cash only, so trying to figure out how to get reimbursed for that plus find a place that will drug test with a swab and not just urine samples (harder then it sounds...no one wants handicapped patients).

Meantime, father in law is sick and going downhill.  Dr visits galore (we didn't go, but still helped with stuff).  Biopsy surgery tomorrow, mom check up tomorrow, chair due tomorrow.

On top of this: Kid starts school, had to get her clothes, make a couple and alter a bunch.  Still trying to mess with getting the school supply list, which we haven't got.  Brother is coming in the first of August, and lord forbid if it's not white glove in here, so we're trying to spring clean as well (neat but no where near magazine picture ready) AND my SO is a disabled combat vet, so we have PTSD and Gulf War syndrome with him and all of the problems and appointments with that.

LOL...I'm waiting for school to start!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
Aw geez Kwaaked; suddenly my life seems so peaceful and quiet. I've got 9 appointments this month but it's routine stuff, annual Cardiologist tests and then mostly physical therapy. But it's so blinking hot, more so than a typical July. We'll easily exceed the record of 21 consecutive days of 100 F or higher. My sewing spot tends to get rather warm and my cutting table is on the porch so nada is happening here. Bright side is the PT, even though it's for my lower back is helping my shoulders. This guy is good-we're waiting on an authorization for my neck but he believes in exercises that provide extra benefits.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »
Tennessee got you guys' weather this year...I've had rain most days and at most it's hit 90F/32C here, mostly it's been about 26C or so.  Humid as heck, which makes it worse.  I've been fighting damp in my studio all summer.  Usually we're hot, dry and it's miserable...this year it's just miserable.  And my studio does not have air conditioning in the work area and the mosquitoes are awful so it's even MORE fun!

This isn't normal for me as my schedule goes.  Everything just went sideways all at once.

But, as a nice little funny for you all: I keep extra cash at my studio in a drop box.  Not only does it allow me to buy things when I need to, but I also use it to save up for when I do need money and usually hide bills in there (not hiding money from my SO as such, but I hide it from my SO so we have money all month long.)  So, I need the cash I squirrel away every month this month (not the change, and yes I am crazily OCD about rolling change) and it's wet.  In my box.  Not dripping, but wet enough it's an "ew, WTF is this!?"

Right now I have about 60 bills hanging on a lingerie clothes line in my tub (the kind that has a bell like end and a hook to drag it across), sprayed with bleach water to kill the mildew to DRY.  So I can use it tomorrow.  Half tempted to iron the lot for kicks and giggles, though.*

*I should just use my credit card, I know.