The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Renegade Sewist

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
But, as a nice little funny for you all: I keep extra cash at my studio in a drop box.  Not only does it allow me to buy things when I need to, but I also use it to save up for when I do need money and usually hide bills in there (not hiding money from my SO as such, but I hide it from my SO so we have money all month long.)

I do the same thing! The man never met a dollar bill he didn't want to spend!  :(
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Sorry I have been absent from this thread for a while, holiday, family wedding, life etc! But I’v been thinking about my SWAKOP options all the time and think it’s about time I updated it.
Revised plan:

Group A:
 Vogue 1250, blue /white lightweight velour dress with cowl neck
Vogue 1353 blue/ yellow sleeveless dress currently being “toiled” - is that a word?
RTW navy cardigan
Group B:
McCalls 7600 Teal, navy and white camouflage top made from leftover scraps just finished
Blue and white striped jersey top
Ginger jeans
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

renita

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2018, 23:59:04 PM »
Hi there, I'm new to the forum.  Any forum actually.  But I'm very excited to be here.

I've followed SWAPs from the sideline for many years - I think I may even have had the original Australian Stitches magazines that they were based on, way back.  Of course, I was young then and only interested in sewing glamorous one-offs (that were wildly inappropriate for my lifestyle, even then).  But something must have registered in the back of my brain as I've been interested in the concept ever since.

This year, I'm going to give it a go.  SWAKOP is perfectly timed.  Thank you for organising it.  My plans are still sketchy - I'm very glad we don't have to lock everything in up front!

I'm an 'autumn', colour-wise, so the colours will probably be based around greens, browns and cream, with an accent or two somewhere I hope.  I lead a very casual life, no glamour here whatsoever (which suits me to a T).  I also live in what might be described as a mild climate - it's the middle of winter here and we're expecting 22 degrees Celsius today.  I'm going to get the most wear out of casual trousers and shirts and maybe a light layer.

I've studied the rules and trawled through The Vivienne Files (a site I find very helpful for building-a-wardrobe ideas) and my stash and have come up with the following plan.  Hopefully I'll progressively be able to swap out the written descriptions with images, but one step at a time... it will be a miracle if this plan shows up at all, though Francesca's instructions are excellent.

The little green smiley face indicates a finished item - so still a long way to go.  I just finished it last week, but no photo yet.  I'm pretty sure I've finished the other upper in group 3 too - the refashion item which was prompted by the other sew-along.  It may not end up in the final collection -will depend if I have something to tie it in.  I'll try to take pictures of both soon at any rate.

That's probably long enough for my second post.  Thanks for reading this far.  It's great to be here.  I'd better go off and mention my refashion item in that thread now.

Renita

Manuela

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2018, 00:41:02 AM »
@renita - that looks like a great plan (and a bit like a Sudoku  0_0, I'm a huge fan of Sudoku sewing). Looking forward to seeing your plan evolving.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2018, 18:54:37 PM »
A few days ago I finished sewing the charcoal grey pinstripe linen trousers.

This is using New Look 6216 again as it is working so well for me at the moment.

My SWAKOP is finally beginning to form. I decided that if I kept charcoal grey as the key theme I could have
Charcoal grey with teal pinstripes - trousers and cardigan jacket
some sort of teal top to make up that pod

Then Charcoal grey pinstripe linen trousers with a soft waistcoat from the scraps
some sort of coloured top to make up that pod

Then the Charcoal grey checked trousers with a charcoal grey cardigan and probably a white top for the final pod.

And then some sort of dark grey? coat to go over the top

Manuela

« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2018, 14:52:38 PM »
@Francesca - I'd recommend to make something more loosely fitted from your precious fabric. Silk charmeuse is known for its poor seam slippage, seams tend to disintegrate quickly at stress points.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 14:55:19 PM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »
My SWAKOP has ground to a halt. The pieces I have done so far look interesting enough close up but in hanger shots everything is dark grey which is a bit boring.

I've made the charcoal grey cardigan but its just added to the greyness.
But there is still 2 1/2 months to go so I can inject some much needed colour.

Kwaaked

« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »
@SewRuthieSews having a lot of color has it's own problems, so be aware you're not alone with SWAKOP problems.

But to me, it's not that boring.  I can see the texture differences, especially #2, the color differences and the pattern difference in #3 so it's not really a sea of grey or all that boring.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2018, 18:29:20 PM »
Thank you @Kwaaked
The left jacket and trousers are dark grey suiting fabric with a teal and turquoise stripe.
The centre trousers are dark grey linen with a white stripe.
And the right trousers are grey check with blue, gold and ivory with a plain grey cardigan.
I could add some colour with the tops, or maybe have a skirt for one.

DementedFairy

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2018, 23:37:34 PM »
months of thinking, and doing nothing, but I'm finally off the ground.  Let's see if I complete it though!
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2018, 12:18:14 PM »
Plan...what plan, think I was being a little ambitious. I’m more a random person  :S

DementedFairy

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2018, 17:46:31 PM »
It's very sheer, but sheer shirts are a thing right? @Manuela does that count? Two trews and a top for a group?

Group 3
A black crepe pinafore is going to be a must. I had one two years ago and wore it 'til it fell apart. With the red stripe t-shirt to wear underneath it. White t-shirt could be my second bit for that but it seems like a waste because the "bow" would be largely hidden by the back of the pinafore. So maybe the funnel neck Ottobre top I liked...

I'm twitchy about the two bottoms 1 top- it does say 2 tops and 1 bottom [which irked me as I need more bottoms lol]
Maybe make the pinafore your wild card and shuffle things round a bit?  I have moved two of my tops about so many times...at least I know they must be versatile enough to do that!
C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »
@Francesca & @DementedFairy, there is absolutely no problem when your group has 2 bottoms and one top. If that's what you need in your closet, it's fine with me  :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2018, 15:43:35 PM »
Why would you make them like that?
More to the point why choose a fabric like that so you have lines disappearing into darts?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

wrenkins

« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2018, 15:48:46 PM »
It's obviously intentional...check out the waistband...but why?  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!