The Sewing Place

Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

renita

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2018, 03:45:39 AM »
Great plan Renegade Sewist - I like your colour choices.

Sorry to hear you're withdrawing beepbeepsew, but great news on the extension - sounds wonderful.

I've been sewing in fits and starts over the last few weeks and decided to take stock this morning and am amazed that I'm nearly there!

I've got two holes left at this stage, for two different tops.  As it turns out, because I've been sewing on a 'desperately need something to wear now' basis, I've got quite a range of warm to cool clothing covered. Everything from brown wool crepe pants through to stone linen pants, so I've changed my original groups into 'seasons'.  Not that there's much difference here from one season to the next. 

The pants are all based on the same pattern, my favourite pull-on (Vogue 2064), with only small tweaks to allow for  extra ease and no darts for the woven versions (and my usual fit adjustments, like lopping a good 15cm off the length...).

The t-shirts are my own TNT patterns - the original patterns are long-forgotten and may have been drafted from ready-to-wear favourites.  My wildcard is V8954, modified slightly to reduce the neck opening, so it's less likely to slip off my shoulders.

Now that I'm pretty close, and feeling like I have something to wear, I might go back and see if I can fill it out with a bit more variety in style and colour.  I may end up changing one of the tops to a different colour - I seem to have a lot of mustard-coloured fabrics in my stash that could be good for summer.

All up though, I'm very happy with how my mini-collection is coming together - it's been a very rewarding process so far and hopefully will change the way I sew in the future.  It was a bit daunting at the start, but I'm really glad I gave this a try. :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2018, 05:54:17 AM »
@renita wowee! Look at you go. Well no wonder you like my plan...we seem to have a few things in common.  ;) You've done an amazing job of getting things done-just two more tops and you've done it.

I need to get sewing...
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »
@renita wow! love your collection, your 'desperately need something to wear now' approach has clearly been a great motivator and has got you stuff you'll want to wear as well.
splittting it into seasons is a great idea.

I am in theory still doing SWAKOP but I've got myself in a bit of a tangle with two completely different colourways, one burgundy/white/black and one black/grey/teal so need to find a way of either boosting one or the other or merging them together using black as a bridge.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:42:55 AM by SewRuthieSews »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
OK I have been thinking about it and am going to expand my Burgundy Autumn collection with some bottoms so that it complies with SWAKOP. I should be able to have that finished by end of October.

After that I will revisit my original grey SWAKOP and add some teal to it to make it a bit more interesting. Hopefully this second one can be ready for the 10th December.

Esme866

« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2018, 18:04:42 PM »
At the beginning of September I finally achieved success with a Simplicity trouser pattern (many years unused in my stash) that produced the nicest fitting trousers I have owned in over 10 years. Finally, my sewing mojo seems to have returned.  I chose the pattern simply because the line drawings reminded me of my favorite trouser pattern from my youth, even though the sample pair on the oh-so-thin model is rather atrocious.  A couple of weeks later I came across this website for the first time and read about the SWAKOP competition. Though I have virtually no chance of completion, I want to throw my hat in just for the additional pressure inspiration. I NEED the clothing.

These are the patterns I intend to use:

Trousers:  Simplicity 9479 (Is something from the 90’s considered “vintage”?)
Jacket:      Simplicity 8697 (The new “oversized” style.)
Shirt:         Butterick 5997 (All standard 7” FBAs have been abysmal – hoping gathers will be the answer)
Coat:         Butterick 6423 (Love this design)

This is how I had to alter the trouser pattern:
•   Using “rock of eye” and a few basic dimensions, I redrew the back rise dramatically allowing for my aging bum and extending the fork in the process.
•   Cut a size 16 and graded out to a size 22 waist beginning at the upper hip.
•   Tapered the legs from the knee down.
•   Added a full front fly, pocket stays, and pocket facings.
•   Split the back waistband to add a “Daks”/tunneled band to disguise the elastic insert.

I completed an olive pair in a cotton/poly twill, fit is very good, but leg width is wider than I would prefer. Will need to redraft back rise and fork to narrow the legs for future trousers.

I have these kinds of alteration issues and improvements to look forward to with each pattern.

So my plan:

SET 1:       Over:  Jacket:  Taupe Wool/Silk tropical weight recently thrifted for $2.49 US for 3 yd piece.
            Over:  Shirt:     Taupe Cotton/Poly blend from stash
            Under: Trousers:  Olive Cotton/Poly twill - recent purchase $2/yd at “Wallyworld”.

SET 2:       Over:  Jacket:  Off white, black, olive micro boucle upholstery fabric from stash.
            Over:  Shirt:     Rust Poly/Rayon jacquard from stash.
            Under: Trousers:  Charcoal Cotton/Poly micro corduroy from stash.

SET 3:       Over:  Jacket:  Navy/Taupe/Olive Italian 100% wool - recent purchase from FFC
            Over:  Shirt:    Olive Cotton/Poly blend from stash
            Under: Trousers:  Black Cotton/Poly twill – yet to be determined.

WILDCARD:  Much needed Wool melton coat in rust with brown poly/rayon jacquard lining. 

I also recently ran across numerous yards of Asahi Bemberg and two generous pieces of silk at a local thrift store – All purchased for 50 cents or less per yard. I may work some of these in. There’s a purple Bemberg that would be a shame to use for a lining. Its fabulous!  This same thrift store had yards of tacky/shiny/glittery polyester tagged at $3/yard! Lucky me. (BTW - Anything listed as "stash" is a minimum of 10 years old!)

Now the work begins – along with everything else on my plate at the moment!

Esme866

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2018, 20:33:44 PM »
Ruthie - I am convinced those of us that still have to work sew of necessity - not for pleasure. As vegging in front of the telly is so much more relaxing......but then there's nothing to wear the next day!  Good luck on your SWAKOP!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2018, 23:18:22 PM »
Ruthie - I am convinced those of us that still have to work sew of necessity - not for pleasure. As vegging in front of the telly is so much more relaxing......but then there's nothing to wear the next day!  Good luck on your SWAKOP!

Thanks @Esme866. I think I sew because I feel I need to (does that make sense to anyone?). My day job is organising IT stuff, which is frustrating, slightly at arms length and can take months. To gain a sense of achievement I like to sew. I mostly do simple things so that I get something completed and can say to myself 'I made this top!' even if no-one else even notices. I do buy clothes too so i don't feel I have to make things unless I want to. It is my chance to do what I want to and I mostly do selfish sewing, and it is my therapy and escape.
I occasionally make things for the people I love very dearly (the list is VERY short) but most people don't value the time taken so I've switched back to doing it as an act of self care.

Esme866

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2018, 23:34:15 PM »
Thanks @Esme866. I think I sew because I feel I need to (does that make sense to anyone?).

"Need" is " neccessity", is it not?

I think I should have added the phrase " not JUST for pleasure."

Currently I am in "need" of a day job that gives me that sense of accomplishment.  But I will agree, my sewing is quite selfish....and I don't feel guilty about it one single bit!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2018, 07:23:32 AM »
My SWAKOP is now based on my coatigan, which proved to be a coat not a jacket when I wore it. So that is the wildcard which goes over everything else.
Obviously needs a few more tops and some bottoms, so I'm half way there.

renita

« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
What a gorgeous group so far @SewRuthieSews.  I have to say, you're one of my sewing heroes - I'm blown away you can even think about two collections.  But if anyone can manage it, it will be you. 

I agree, I need to sew or do something else creative each day to keep myself sane.  I think I need both the 'means' and the 'ends'.  As I'm working on a project, I love that I can decide how complicated or easy it's going to be. I enjoy the challenges and the simple mechanics of working on a garment from start to finish.  And in the end, I too love the feeling that comes with the private thought 'hey, I made that'.  We have the benefits of a very practical form of therapy.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2018, 07:08:42 AM »
Here's my plan to be completed for end of October.

Big Picture Here
Blog post here :[

DementedFairy

« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2018, 12:51:27 PM »
I'm a bit stalled, but itching to sew SOMETHING today.  I spent all yesterday at a maths conference [don't groan, it was FUN] and was too tired to function after that.  Today I'm marking [feel free to groan] but hope to at least cut out my green wool jacket.
I've actually got quite a few things that were planned for this collection, a few that weren't but work well, so I should get in under the deadline.  It's this ruddy green jacket that has foxed me!
C'est moi!

Kwaaked

« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2018, 19:13:26 PM »
I am beyond stalled.  MY father in law is dying of cancer and in a hospital 2.5 hours away and we got 4-5 times a week.  I have everything ready, just no time.

I'm still going to try. lol.  Just not expecting much at this point.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2018, 01:15:51 AM »
@Kwaaked , so sorry to hear of this. It is so difficult for the entire family and distance only compounds it. (((hugs Dear)))

You'll be shooting for the extended deadline. Like me.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2018, 05:06:37 AM »
@Renegade Sewist thanks, I wasn't trying to complain about it.  I figure I'll either miss it with everything happening, and my DH is not handling this well, or I'll finish some but not all, especially the show stoppers.  I do have a plan, even with all the pieces I've chosen, which was 13 as the basic, and I believe 11 or 12 additional ones.  I know some of the additional ones are simple, and plays off the same pattern, which is easier to do (and 5 of them are not much to it) to make the deadline and then give me a chance to finish everything else.

A lot depends on how my FIL does.  He wants to come home, which is both easier and harder on us since we'll have to help take care of him, but on the same token it's not an 6-8 hour day visiting and I can always get in sewing (my studio is on the way to my in law's house at about the halfway point).  He really isn't in a health position to do so, and my MIL is not all that proactive in getting things done.  Plus he is dying, something no one wants to admit, and if he does pass on relatively soon, I'm not sure how that is going to affect my time to do much of anything for myself, something I generally have a hard time getting to do on a regular basis, and no one curr type stuff.

On top of all that...my dang ole overlocker just sheared the #$%^% screw off the blade so I got to order a part and try to get the old one out!