Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition

Manuela

Re: Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - SWAKOP our first wardrobing competition
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »
Wow, just wow! very impressive Renita

Nevis5

« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2018, 17:46:23 PM »
Add me to the WOWs!  Fabulous, @renita !  That is such an impressive collection.   :toast:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2018, 18:04:27 PM »
Wow @renita your collection is wonderful. Such interest variety and so many outfits!

renita

« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2018, 01:37:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback :|  :) 
The sewing machines are all packed away now for a bit. :'( 
But I'll be keen to get back into sewing the 'Extension Plan 2.0', as soon as I can. :D

I wonder how I'd go at limiting myself to sewing one day a week, instead of it consuming every waking hour for days on end as it has done for the last 2 weeks?  Probably not possible... ;)

Fabric Lover

« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Very impressive and well organised, puts mine to shame! It’s been a little derailed by Halloween!  >:)
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

ambro0

« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2018, 22:12:09 PM »
Wow @renita!!! Absolutely wonderful collection that you have created - you should be very proud. Congratulations on your photo shoot too. I can understand how tedious it was but we all appreciate it. So much better to see all the garments on the "wearer". I am in awe!!
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

warpjr1965

« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:49 AM »
Beautiful collection!!
Wendy

Gernella

« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2018, 13:37:06 PM »
Flipping heck, what kind of elastic do you use because you surely must have some with a lot of stretch for time spent.  It's taken me all my time to do three jackets and I wouldn't even dream of joining something like this challenge.  Just thinking of the competition would put me in a panic.  Absolutely awesome.

Exactly how do you do it?  Can't be Santa's little helpers.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

renita

« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
@Gernella, I hear you.  I've been there - this is the first year I've been brave enough to attempt such a huge challenge.

Everyone might have different strategies, but I think there are some general things that helped me to finish in the time-frame - you've probably heard them before:

1. Used patterns I know and used them more than once, with different fabric or style/finish details to make them look different.

2. Simple designs are a blessing - my favourite pull-on pants pattern has just one single pattern piece and just two pieces of fabric to sew! I can have them cut out and fully sewn up in a couple of hours.  The trousers/jeans with their fly facings and shields, yokes, bands, pockets and top sewing took a day and a half each - much harder to find that much time.  I only contemplated them once I had the simple stuff out of the way.

3. Used the same fabric more than once in different styles and sewed them up one after another to minimise pre-washing/prep time for the fabric and thread changes once sewing.  I also generally pre-wash all my fabric as soon as it comes in, so I know it's ready to go as soon as I take it out of the stash.

Things that might be specific to my situation:

1. We had something like eight days of continual rain - perfect excuse to lock myself in the house and do nothing but sewing.  I was sewing from stash, so had everything on hand. I managed to sew up half my collection in that time.

2. I'm retired, single and have no children that I need to feed and wash, etc - that probably gives me, what, about 60 extra hours per week to sew?   ;)  Even then, it was going to be a close call without that rainy spell.

3. I was in a dire situation clothes-wise, having worked out that all my existing clothes either didn't fit or were very worn. This collection, with only a few extra pieces, makes up the entirety of my wardrobe.  I either had to convert some of the stash to the wardrobe, go naked or, even worse, go into a clothing store - eek!  Strong motivation, right there.

No Santa's little helpers here.  My cat does insist on me pulling up a chair for him right beside mine at the machine, so he can be close to the action.  But he's a pretty useless assistant, he just sleeps on the job all day.

Gernella

« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »
Well @renita, I am exactly like you, retired, no children, two cats, three parrots and a DH. but I still have little time, partly due to the philosophy of DH, get out while we can. But, I have other interests and although I enjoy sewing and find it relaxing, entering a competition would put it in the mode of 'work', deadline etc.  At the moment I muddle along grabbing time when I can and don't have to worry if something is not finished by a certain date.

However, I've just finished a time consuming project, had a big clean up, and this week cut out a new skirt and am now ready to insert the lining.  If I get done by next week, next is a long sleeved top with two remnants (I've had a feel and it is lovely stuff).

You are right though, a bit of bad weather and you get a lot more time, which is why I quite like winters.

Love your strategies though, if only I could be like that <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

DementedFairy

« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2018, 23:11:42 PM »
I might just slip under the wire here...

The long awaited jade wool jacket is coming on nicely [hurrah for StyleArc] and I think it's going to be a really useful addition to the working wardrobe.  I've finally got a teensy bit of mojo [after  a nasty bug that laid me low for over a week] so decided to make things more complicated by binding all exposed seams.  Sigh.

I THINK this means I have enough for the original plan...
Tomorrow we're off for a teensy short break, to visit Longleat and Cheddar [yes we've chosen the iciest days of the year so far, but we just got a range rover, go figure] so will likely spend much time in warm hostelries yay!
C'est moi!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2018, 14:23:03 PM »
I'm also trying to get finished in time.
I've decided to sub in a previously made skirt, so just have some trousers to finish and then can share my pieces.

Mocarroll

« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2018, 17:50:05 PM »
@renita I’m not sure what I admire most, your wonderful wardrobe so well planned and executed or your IT competence, describing so clearly the process and inserting all those fab pictures...respect!!

Manuela

« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2018, 22:53:55 PM »
Reminder to those who finished early: please have your pictures up by November 5th   :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2018, 00:10:28 AM »
I have managed to finish and will try to do some photos of me wearing the pieces over the weekend.
Aubergine drapey trousers finished tonight

Cropped the faux leather trousers into culottes (which are more versatile I think)

Subbed in a previously made black ponte pencil skirt

To give this as the collection

Bigger Picture

BTW I realise I have 3 pods and 2 wildcards so will decide which one to discard when I do the full photos.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 00:11:59 AM by SewRuthieSews »