The Sewing Place

First tutu - uni project

Twan

First tutu - uni project
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
I saw the post on tutu makers, well I’m not a tutu maker but we are doing a dance project at uni and I’m making a tutu for the BlueBird pas de deux and a catsuit for All that Rag inspired by the 20s.

I was on a very tied schedule. We only got the tutu net on Thursday (Firenze Net), and the assigned dancer measurements on Tuesday before that. So I’m going like crazy to get it all done for fittings (away for 4 days and bank holiday too. Grrrr). I did the bodice at home, had some help with daggering the net from the designer I’m working with and sewing all 10 layers on the knickers in 6 hours. Only caught the knickers in a seam once. Lol

Still some stuff to do before Monday, like the bone, stringing and adding more boning into the bodice. But I’m pleased with how it’s going so far!

Designed by costume design Student Elsa Anderson, we got a newer version but I don’t have a picture. More or less the idea but brighter.

Last layer going on

Still need to insert a bone and do some stringing on Monday morning.

All that Rag design by Elsa too. She will mainly do all the hand painting.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:20:14 PM by Twan »

PollyWally

Re: First tutu - uni project
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
That looks amazing, in such a short time too !

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 19:56:15 PM »
That's gorgeous. I assume that 'daggering' the net means cutting it to produce the pointed ends? It must be difficult to get an even result.
Looking forward to seeing the finished costumes!

Lollipop

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 20:19:23 PM »
That's going to be lovely Twan. You are such a clever costume maker. :loveit:
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 22:25:25 PM »
That's going to be beautiful, well done you!  :loveit:

Sewingforfun

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 23:09:35 PM »
That's fabulous!! And in such a short time scale. Most impressed!
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 20:52:21 PM »
Well done Twan, it is amazing,  I hope you enjoy the process.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 21:03:22 PM »
Twan, just re-reading your post, and wondering where you got your tutu net from?? 

maliw

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 21:07:48 PM »
How did I miss this? For a first tutu that's amazing even if it isn't finished.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Twan

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
Thank you all! I hope to finish most of it this week. I had to redo the 'bertha' as it was way to chunky. Much happier with the current version.

That's gorgeous. I assume that 'daggering' the net means cutting it to produce the pointed ends? It must be difficult to get an even result.
Looking forward to seeing the finished costumes!
It does mean that ;) I made templates and then it's just using a scalpel. Some ends are a bit squared but I do trim them a bit as I go a long.

Twan, just re-reading your post, and wondering where you got your tutu net from?? 
Our net is from Fiorenza Tulle if I am spelling that correct. It took forever to come (we could have picked it up a few weeks before as we did a uni trip to Florence!) but it's the best net out there.

Some stringing is done. Bodice is done apart from the 'bertha' and fastenings and of course some extra sparkle   ;)
The plate will kinda look like the left side in the end. I want to also tambour 2 birds to go on top of the grey chiffon.

Yesterdays result of the 'bertha' and the crown which is made by the designer :)

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:41:26 AM »
Amazing work as always Twan!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

eclectic

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
Hi Twan, that looks great, I can't wait to see the final product ... I do hope you get a photo with the dancer and show us 0_0 (and the cat suit)

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 18:28:13 PM »
That's incredible Twan, well done

Lollipop

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 22:59:22 PM »
WOW! Fabulous  :loveit:
Was Sewnanny

Twan

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
Since the dancers are mainly minors, it might take a while before consent it given but we will definitely get photos :-)

Nearly done with all the sewing. Monday I’ll sew the bodice to the tutu. And I have to attached the ‘bertha’. Then it’s just adding rhinestones and tambour the two birds :-)