The Sewing Place

First tutu - uni project

Sandra

Re: First tutu - uni project
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 18:35:55 PM »
That's beautiful.  :loveit:  I've been staring at the pictures for ages, admiring it.

Sandra.
xxx

eclectic

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 19:53:05 PM »
@Twan  its looking fab... can u tell me how you did the leaves .. fabric and teq. Etc and will u see the effect from audience... always looking to learn so hope u dont mind sharing  :)

Twan

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 20:58:02 PM »
We bought the leaves haha it’s the most expensive item on the costume believe it or not.

They are from Macculloch and Wallis.
It’s fringe trimming and we just cut the leaves off :-)

I’m sure you can see it (small venue I’ve heard) but it doesn’t really matter as details are often lost.
Have a look at the new Swan Lake costumes at ROH. You can’t see any details but if it’s not there you miss it :-)

eclectic

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 21:54:55 PM »
Thnx Twan.... will have a look tomorow :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 22:04:49 PM »
That's just fantastic. Well done.

Twan

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 17:17:12 PM »
Done stoning today. Might need more on the plate but we shall see after the rehearsals how it will look. Our tutor told me to add more to the top of the bodice (and birtha) and so I did.

Over the nex week I’ll bead birds.

Lachica

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 17:52:39 PM »
That is stunning work Twan.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

eclectic

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 18:06:44 PM »
Twan its look FAB ... you have to channel Zaza Gabor or was it Elizebeth Taylor ... "you can never be too rich or too thin" ... in this case " is there such a thing as too much bling"  ;)

SkoutSews

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 18:40:26 PM »
That is a beautiful costume.  What a lot of work!  I hope it will be kept and treasured.

Twan

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 20:56:45 PM »
And the finished All That Rag costume

All painting and scarf was done by Elsa, I constructed it. The scarf is for in her hair.

Lachica

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 22:33:32 PM »
Another 'wow'. I assume you made it before it was painted? Lol, daft question I suppose! What type of fabric paint was used? Though, being a costume, perhaps it doesn't need to be washable?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Twan

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 23:55:20 PM »
Actually, we dyed the (poly) lycra from Whaleys a light base colour first, thrn stitched it for the fitting. Elsa drew the lines and flower area on there as the dancer was wearing it. We then took it apart, and she painted everything flat, except the darts were kept in there. :)

I am not sure about the paints. The scales were done with the standard airbrush paint we have at uni and the rest was a special stretch binder she got from work experience.

Surest1tch

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 19:00:14 PM »
Totally awesome

Twan

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
I don’t have time to post photos but here’s a link to my Instagram with rehearsal photos. So happy with the result. Just a few tweaks on both costumes and the birds to bead.

Blue Bird

All That Rag

maliw

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 17:47:49 PM »
Those are both fabulous, how did I miss the later posts?????
At leisure on the leisure penninsula