The Sewing Place

I have made a decision -

sewmuchmore

I have made a decision -
« on: May 09, 2018, 22:36:35 PM »
to stop spending hours looking at fabric websites uming and arring about what i want/need and actually get in the car and go to my local shops. It must be quicker in the long run and cheaper as i won't make any expensive mistakes. I have bought a couple of pieces recently described as medium weight only to find it was like tissue paper when it arrived. Luckily it was from a site that offers free no quibble returns so nothing lost.
So we will see how long my resolve lasts.  ;)
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

datcat23

Re: I have made a decision -
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 22:55:01 PM »
Good luck with your search.   :fabric:    me personally, I am on a fabric diet.  I need to sew down, before I buy more.  Let see how long I hold out huh?   :devil:
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:51:45 AM »
Good luck, all of you! The fabric websites don't tempt me too much as I've got a dozen or more local shops and a MASSIVE small fabric archive. My downfall is Pinterest. Please never put links to Pinterest up here.  >:) I get distracted by each new, better, different idea that I see.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
Same here @Renegade Sewist, but there is no point in my buying fabric if I am not going to sew it.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
A dozen local shops. :loveit:...if only. It’s at least a two hour drive to get anything. The NE of England is a fabric desert.

Celia

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
Try the southeast it almost as bad

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
Come to London.  There are dozens. :D

Celia

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »
Yes that’s true but I never seem to have time when I am in London (thank goodness my house cry’s under the weight of material and wool) Do you have a favourite part of London just in case I get tempted.

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:41 AM »
A dozen local shops. :loveit:...if only. It’s at least a two hour drive to get anything. The NE of England is a fabric desert.
Try the NE of Scotland.
OK we still have one or two patchwork shops, but not in the city and JL does have some dressmaking fabric, but for a decent choice you are looking at a trip to the central belt.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Mamashep

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »

North east Scotland is even worse! There are 2 new shops within a 30 minute drive, but mostly aimed at quilting, the dress fabrics were uninspiring, and very expensive.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
Don't think that will last long.  I've found a  couple of really nice websites that are not oozing in fabric but have fabric that I like using, (Fabric Godmother and Clothspot).  Hell would freeze over before I managed to find a fabric shop that had stuff I wanted at the price I wanted to pay in bricks and mortar.  They are like hen's teeth round here.

Trouble with me is that my eyes  are bigger than my belly, as I near the end of one project I am lusting over what next (I have at last got a list of what's in the pantry).

Anyway good luck with the resolve.  Does it come in a tin?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gemma

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
I've recently discovered the world of custom fabric - sooo tempting, I've managed to only buy 2m so far but there's a 'galaxy' collection releasing soon which is going to cost me!

Pinkstar

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 11:28:57 AM »
I've recently discovered the world of custom fabric - sooo tempting, I've managed to only buy 2m so far but there's a 'galaxy' collection releasing soon which is going to cost me!

You can't say that without giving us a link to the website.  :P

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
Easy access to Goldhawk Road is one of the very few things I miss since moving to the South West. We do have one fabric shop in Trowbridge but I don't often find anything I like/can afford. I don't get out much these days anyway so there is my excuse for my online fabric shopping!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »
I'm heading to London tomorrow for a weekend trip. I doubt my 9 year old son will enjoy a trip to Goldhawk road so I'll have to make do with the fabric in two drawers under the bed, two boxes in the wardrobe and 2 boxes without homes. Not to mention the "soon to be used hopefully" pile on the chair next to me.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.