The Sewing Place

Next Event in The Darkside ????

Iminei

Next Event in The Darkside ????
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
Please take a look at our poll and choose your next event for us Darksiders ... to start June 1st!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

Re: Next Event in The Darkside ????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Perhaps we could go down the celebrity route and spread some darkside happiness by being mug rug angels.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 15:50:03 PM »
I've never done a quilt as you go, might be nice to learn.

My project Linus in the washer, then providing it hasn't fallen apart I will bag it ready to be posted to wherever, whenever.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 16:03:34 PM »
I'd love to learn QAYG too. I was causing havoc with an 18" cushion cover. Lord alone knows what I could do with a full sized quilt.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 17:26:40 PM »
I would probably vote for a QAYG Quiltalongathon too.  :) I find them easier to handle than a "traditionally" put together quilt. It would be nice to sew along with others too (as long as the pace isn't too fast - [imagine a snail emoji here] - as I'd never keep up.  :S)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 17:46:11 PM »
As I am totally mystified by QAYG that might be fun to learn with guidance. I see it's quite often done with Machine Embroidery featured on the block. I could try that maybe.

The only thing close that I've done are flip and sew, where you have the backing, spray baste on the batting/wadding and sew strips down on top thereby QAYG.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 18:30:42 PM »
There are different ways of doing QAYG.  Iminie's way is to have sashing between the quilted blocks, but the wedding pressie quilt I made last year had top strips joined and backing strip joined and then wadding slid into place, then the strip of sandwich was quilted, so that it didn't have any sashing.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 00:16:57 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 20:25:30 PM »
I would love to join into a QAYG. I actually have one languishing in my dead projects pile. My squares are stitched, but awaiting the quilting and connecting. Incentive to complete it would be a good thing.

The Project Linus option stated "an en masse donation at the FOQ". What is the FOQ? Since I'm across the pond, could I donate it to an organization here instead of shipping it there?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 23:38:38 PM »
Brenda thanks for telling me more. That quilt is lovely and pillow shams to go with! Fancy!!!  :toast:

I've seen the sashing between blocks type and have never quite grasped it. I like the concept though. I have a small machine and small work area so working in segments appeals to me.  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
Okay Girls, AQuiltAsYouGoAlongathon coming up in June (good grief, where is the time going????)

I actually have a project that is requiring Brenda's kind of QAYG (sans sashing) and a Perfect project in my mind (avec sashing) so will do the both.

What YOU need to do before June 1st, if you want to take part, is compile some blocks or strips to join together!

I will post officially later.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »
@WendyW  FOQ stands for the Festival of Quilts. It is a quilt show held in Birmingham in August. @Iminei  will explain further, and where you can donate as an alternative I'm sure :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 00:12:46 AM »
Okay Girls, AQuiltAsYouGoAlongathon coming up in June (good grief, where is the time going????)

What YOU need to do before June 1st, if you want to take part, is compile some blocks or strips to join together!

Do you have a suggested size for the blocks or strips? For a Newbie to the process. :pin:

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 00:27:29 AM »
Whatever is convenient with the blocks you are making.  My wedding pressie quilt was "Sisters" from Judy Martin's "extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts" book.  The blocks are 10" x 10" so I assembled it into strips of two blocks wide - so the strips were 20" wide. 

It was quilted with FMQ squiggles all over.  You do need to leave an inch or so unquilted at the edge of a strip, but once the next strip is joined on you can let the quilting go back over the join line to fill it all.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 07:31:36 AM »
@BrendaP , would this method be suitable if you wanted to add borders?  TIA

twopence

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 14:34:02 PM »
I shall follow with interest as I do want to try this but I must finish up all the UFO’s first and I want to make a table runner using the Kaffe Fassett fq’s that my son and partner gave me last Christmas before they visit again.