The Sewing Place

Next Event in The Darkside ????

BrendaP

Re: Next Event in The Darkside ????
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 17:07:43 PM »
would this method be suitable if you wanted to add borders? 

Yes, so long as you have planned the borders in advance.

My quilt had pieced borders so I added border and corners to the two outer strips and a bit of border to top and bottom of the inner strips. 

If you want plain strips of fabric all around add the border fabric to the two outer strips, but when you do the quilting make sure there's a couple of inches top and bottom of each strip unquilted, then you can add the top and bottom borders (with fancy corners if you want) in the same way as you add the strips, just turn the quilt 90 degrees.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

datcat23

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 01:56:08 AM »
I used a MSQC tutorial to do a QAYG quilt, recently with a big set of embroidered panels I picked up from a destash site. 
QAYG tutorial

The panels were already embroidered with the wadding in place.  I did a couple of lines of simple quilting to anchor the backing fabric, and then folded the seams under on the front, topstitching them down.  This created a simple sashing on the front, 1 inch wide in total.  I did the same on the edge, rather than binding.

Embroidered Quilt - finished by Dani, on Flickr

close up
Embroidered quilt by Dani, on Flickr

I plan to do this again, creating blocks, using the quilting designs on my embroidery machine to quilt, and then joining.  Not sure when I will get the time though.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
Next Event In The Darkside Update!!!!!!

As Im currently really busy with The Village in preparation for FOQ, I have had to delay the QAYGTutorialalongathon ...

Sorry Girls ...

However I have found a neat lil pattern for a patchwork Komebukuru, which as we all know is a Japanese Rice Bag!!!

or in our case, A Darkside FQ, Threads or Bits and Bobs Bag!!!
and I thought what a beautiful lil thing to (in my case, try) make ....

The pattern for this bag is detailed and available as a free download

here, from the Oakshott fabrics website

I then went further and wondered we could organise another swap ???

So please do let me know if you would like to make this divine lil bag as a Darkside event
and whether we go one further and (like the cushion cover swapalongathon) have a blind swap .......

I propose this would run from mid June to the end of July!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:31:41 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 13:06:24 PM »
Downloaded and ready to go, it will give me something to do whilst I prevaricate over the Project Linus quilt :D

Kenora

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 13:54:19 PM »
Thanks for letting us know that the QAYGTutorialalongathon is a little delayed, Iminei. I'm quite relieved because I seem to be swamped with things to do at the moment. Will look forward to it when your time (and mine) is less in demand.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 14:37:32 PM »
I've also downloaded the instructions.  :)

I've fancied making one of these for a while and I have a kit to make one which I bought 2 or 3 years ago from the FoQ...not as complicated a design as this one...it's much simpler.

Sandra.
xxx

fajita

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 19:11:27 PM »
A tentative wave on this one. My sewing machine still in the hospital. Another week, £200, and no guarantee of success at the end. But if all ends well, then I'm in.

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 19:33:10 PM »
Not for me this time :( Not into downloading and printing instructions  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D