The Sewing Place

Tracing paper

Samantha

Tracing paper
« on: May 10, 2018, 15:28:17 PM »
I know it's been asked before but I'm particularly keen to know if anyone has used this and if so is it any good?

I don't use it that often, my current roll of Gateway stuff (20 meters) has lasted me 6 years so 136m should last me the rest of my life  0_0 but it is only 50gsm and I'm using 90gsm so I'm wondering if it's a bit too flimsy.

Lizzy777

Re: Tracing paper
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 19:59:30 PM »
I've not used this particular paper before but it does sound rather thin at 50 gsm?  More like tissue paper I would imagine? Could you perhaps ask for a sample of the paper before you commit to buying it?

Samantha

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
I've had a look at our paper samples at work but none of them go down as low as 50gsm, I think you are right though it will be too thin and then I'm stuck with 136m of it!

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
There’s some tracing paper on Amazon that’s 45gms and that gets good reviews

Holly Berry

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
I’ve just had a look at it and saw that the dot and cross is 50gsm and I find that quite stiff and opaque. I use this for pattern drafting.

I usually use Burda paper which comes in sheets. I can’t see what weight it is. I would be interested in how good the William Gee roll is.

I’ve just rung WG, and they are sending me a sample so I can compare to the Burda paper, which I really rate and use for both tracing and pattern fitting and always have to make a FBA. I’ll let you know.
Procrastination get behind me

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
I can't find the weight of the Burda stuff but I think it's probably 20-40gsm reading the description of it. However I definitely want it on a roll not a sheet and at least 840mm wide.

I'm still undecided if I need it as thick as the 90gsm as I've been using or if thinner will be ok  -<
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:57:18 AM by Samantha »

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 20:35:43 PM »
I use the medical exam paper for tracing.  I bought a box of 12 rolls (of 225ft) for about $36/£26 which seems reasonable to me.  I'm still on the first roll so I imagine I have a lifetime supply.  If it's something I plan to make multiples of I will redo on the Swedish tracing paper which is more robust and expensive.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 00:31:19 AM »
I use the 50gsm from William Gee, the one with the dot and crosses and it's soft and thin but definitely not flimsy. One side is smooth coated, the other is rougher and I've found it okay to trace through provided I have good light. It's not as translucent as drafting tracing paper but it's much tougher than tissue.

I was really surprised to hear that several people were using 90gsm paper, assuming it was white paper, when ordinary copier paper is only 80gsm. Now I'm thinking perhaps they are using drafting film which is heavier but more transparent.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »
I’ve just had a look at it and saw that the dot and cross is 50gsm and I find that quite stiff and opaque. I use this for pattern drafting.
Agreed.  I favoured this Gateway paper, but will switch to Swedish tracing paper for future projects.

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
@Samantha I’ve received the sample from William Gee today. It’s the same weight as their dot and cross and I’ve just compared by trying to read a newspaper through them both. The dot and cross, couldn’t see anything through, the tracing paper, yes you can, but need to smooth over as you’re doing so. On pattern pieces, the d&c you can just about see, but the tracing paper the lines are clearly visible. It’s slightly thicker than Burda paper, which in turn is slightly thicker than pattern paper.

If you pattern fit it is the same as working with dot and cross. For storing, I use plastic folders and store in a loose leaf binder, it won’t fold down as much as Burda paper, so will be a bit bulkier.

It looks a little like good quality vellum (paper not goat skin!)writing paper, but shiny on one side and matt on the other.
If my calculations are right, it works out cheaper than buying Burda paper.

Samantha

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
Thanks @Holly Berry I'm trying to decide between that and this tracing paper which is thicker (same as I currently use) but more expensive per metre

I would be using it to trace the odd pattern or to create patterns from existing items of clothing so it's probably going to be ok. I've got some dot and cross paper from a course I did a while ago so I'll have a feel of that.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 17:16:59 PM »
It looks a little like good quality vellum (paper not goat skin!)writing paper, but shiny on one side and matt on the other.

What we called vegetable parchment back in the late '60s when I worked in a MOD lab testing paper and board.
The thinnest stuff is 'greaseproof' paper for baking and wrapping food, the thicker stuff is tracing paper. 

I still have half a roll of really thick tracing paper which I inherited from my Dad who was a traditional draftsman/design engineer.  No computers back then.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 18:18:09 PM »
I remember that tracing paper. My dad had a roll too as he used to draft the plans for extensions we had at home.