The Sewing Place

What on Earth is “galloon edge lace fabric “?

Fabric Lover

What on Earth is “galloon edge lace fabric “?
« on: May 11, 2018, 21:19:35 PM »
A young sewing student of mine wishes to make this pattern https://www.simplicitynewlook.com/6344
The fabric recommendations for View D suggest for the contrast yoke “Galloon edged lace fabric “ which I confess is a new term on me! A search on google seems to think I have misspelled the word, giving me options on “gallon” ! Do I assume it means “scallop edged “ ? In which case, why not say that?  ><
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

fajita

BrendaP

Re: What on Earth is “galloon edge lace fabric “?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 00:32:31 AM »
Galloon lace is a widish (4" - 8") lace with scalloped/curved edges on both sides.

Lace insertion is straight on both sides and lace edging is scalloped on one side and straight on the other side.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Love2Sew

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 01:00:41 AM »
Galloon lace is often double-sided and can be separated by cutting with small scissors.  Here's an example of a lace I have actually used in lingerie Galloon Lace - Double.   Of course, some are available in stretch lace while others are rigid.  NO affiliation with that site but I have bought supplies from them.

I like the 'double' type as I can use half it's width in some areas then use the full width in others, all while the lace is matching. 

Hope this helps? 

Fabric Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
That’s very helpful thank you to all for your replies. You learn something new every day!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)